The season ahead.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: The season ahead.

Post by Big-al »

I wouldn't say Wannenburg would be a huge loss, there are better backrowers out there, far better in fact.

Pienaar on the other hand would be very hard to replace
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

At Ulster there are from 1 - 23 far better players out there ... however I wouldn't want to change much at all.

Especially Wannanberg - I think he sets and example of giving 100% far too often in the past I've seen locals give about 50% and think the world owed them a living for wearing the shirt.

Pienaar is an exception though every effort available should be made to keep him for as long as we can.

If I was to be very critical and I don't like being critical of players who buy into the team ethos, and who have delivered for eth cause - but Danielli is now taking up a NIQ spot that could be better filled.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Hope fully with Johann having extended his contract, Ruane who seems to be very influenced by him will follow suit. both seem to be very settled here but we need a replacement in the pipeline and I am not sure that Marshall fils the bill.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cornerfleg wrote:At Ulster there are from 1 - 23 far better players out there ... however I wouldn't want to change much at all.

Especially Wannanberg - I think he sets and example of giving 100% far too often in the past I've seen locals give about 50% and think the world owed them a living for wearing the shirt.

Pienaar is an exception though every effort available should be made to keep him for as long as we can.

If I was to be very critical and I don't like being critical of players who buy into the team ethos, and who have delivered for eth cause - but Danielli is now taking up a NIQ spot that could be better filled.
P3 was looking to extend his contract last year but I suppose the 1 year at a time rule from IRFU was holding that, personally I think we need to keep him for a bit of muscle at 6 when 1F is wrapped up in cotton wool/away with Deccy.
According to some reports Pienaar has extended his contract, hope those are true.
Would expect Danielli to retire at the end of next season anyway.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

When you look at the guys that are missing, players such as Court, PW and Danielli are fairly easily replaced. In addition, we had a fair few injuries last season and had the irish internationals missing quite a lot so we're well used to be without Ferris and Best.

The players that are coming in have a decent number of caps now: Fitzy, Barker, Touhy, Backrow, Marshall, Centres and Wingers.

The worry might not be so much about the players that remain but the lack of real class of the players returning...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

The worry might not be so much about the players that remain but the lack of real class of the players returning...
Pienaar, Muller, Ferris, Trimble along with Payne and Afoa, seems like some real class there.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:
Pienaar, Muller, Ferris, Trimble along with Payne and Afoa, seems like some real class there.....
How right you are Scrum, Against, get back on the meds my friend. :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I'm feeling pretty positive about this season. A lot has already been said by others but our younger players have a great opportunity to show what they've got over the next few months- Marshall, Paddy Mac, Macklin, Gilroy, Gaston etc could all be regular starters in the near future. It'd be great to have Payne ASAP to provide a bit of experience to a young back line. After the RWC, the roster looks really strong. But our ERC group is pretty stinking. Would be happy to get 2 losing BPs away to Leicester and Clermont. Anything more would be a bonus. But I think 2nd place in the Pro12 is achievable.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

There are a lot of ifs and buts this year when speculating on prospects for the season. This WC thing is really screwing up the competition at the start of the season. Many of our young players have really stepped up when required over the last few years and BMcL has to take a lot of the credit for introducing them and providing opportunities. He also deserves credit for bringing in the likes of D'Arcy, Cronin and McComb. However it is one thing to step into the first team when you have the experienced heads like Muller, PW, Best, Pienaar, to help guide you. How they fair without that help remains to be seen. That said, imo our squad will definitely have improved from last year when all the WC players return. I am optimistic that our young players will seize their opportunities. I have a niggling feeling that we won't see the best out of our team until the final third of the season and therefore the aim must be to stay in contention for the first two thirds.

Overall, as ever, I am optimistic. I think we will go better in the Pro12 than last year and should be looking to claim a top 2 finish. The HEC draw has not been kind to us and I feel that we will miss out on a QF. I would be delighted if we got into the Amlin but again I feel that is going to be very difficult to achieve given the strength of the group.

:salut: :red: :salut:
Rule13b
Novice

Post by Rule13b »

Follow the coaches advice and take it one game at a time. It is not the strength of our 1st choice team that will make or break our season I suspect the strength in depth that will be even more important with the RWC, 6N and injuries all conspiring to reduce the number of First Choice players available.Last Friday night seemed to have suggested that we are moving in the right direction.

I would like to see a more settled Ravens team taking the field this year rather than a last minute gather up as seemed to be the case last year. The gather up approach means that inferior teams are pervailing just because they are familiar with fellow team members and tactics. A settled Ravens will strengthen the Ulster Team we must be moving forward on all fronts and continueing to blood new players.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

againstthehead wrote:When you look at the guys that are missing, players such as Court, PW and Danielli are fairly easily replaced. In addition, we had a fair few injuries last season and had the irish internationals missing quite a lot so we're well used to be without Ferris and Best.

The players that are coming in have a decent number of caps now: Fitzy, Barker, Touhy, Backrow, Marshall, Centres and Wingers.

:scratch:

Pienaer,Ferris,Afoa
Muller,Best,Trimble,
Wallace, Danielli, Court

Yep no class there. The men in the white coates will be arriving at your door shortly ATH
You are in serious need of medication :duh:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

My ancient veins are pumping at the thought of the new season. Was at Ravenhill this morning buying a ticket for my daughter who is distraught at missing the rest of the season away in Newcastle at Uni. Bring them up right I say, don't take them too early but wait for the right moment, then they are hooked for life.

She took a fixture list and has vowed to find a pub that show the matches, anyone with experience there I would welcome a heads up. Now that my friends is good parenting. :wink:

The place was looking good and the foodies were getting ready to circle the wagons, the pitch looks superb and we are ready for lift off.

Tomorrow night is going to be good, I'm normally a pessimist but we have far too much class available for that Glasgie select. Couldn't get a better opener in the circumstances. I predict a riot ............ of points.

Not long to go now :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :red: :red: :red:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

In terms of the Heiny this season, the one thing to remember is that having the RWC this year is going to have an impact on teams through the qualification process. Some teams may have players who won't have arrived at the start, others will be injured and others will not be at their best, either physically or mentally.

I had a quick check of who qualified for the QF's in the season after the 2007 RWC and Sarries, London Irish and Gloucester were the top 3 seeds, with Cardiff and Perpignan also in there. No Tigers :cheers: , Leinster, Stade Francais, Biarritz or Wasps in the QF's.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Had a quick wee look at the 2011/12 squads.

Leicester have lost 9 players to the world cup, so have we. So going on that basis, we are quite evenly matched. Only thing we can hope to get an advantage over is for England to get to the semis/final and Ireland and SA to get knocked out in the pools.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote:I had a quick check of who qualified for the QF's in the season after the 2007 RWC and Sarries, London Irish and Gloucester were the top 3 seeds, with Cardiff and Perpignan also in there. No Tigers :cheers: , Leinster, Stade Francais, Biarritz or Wasps in the QF's.
Very interesting Bart, I'm pretty sure we can rely on our Irish and Scottish lads getting an early flight. Not so I suspect with Ruan & Johann but as they will not be 1st choice selections they may come back relatively ready to go & I suspect the same with John Afoa.

Mmmmmmmmm, beginning to think I may want England & France to do rather well in the RWC.

Good job Bart. :salut: