Sing for It

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

You and your cohorts have had a petition signed by those opposed to the move to the Maze site and you are clearly in the minority.
Grateful if you could answer the original question. What factual evidence do you have to make the above statement. A petition is an ongoing process. Considering there were only a few people collecting names to get that amount of signatures is indeed a huge effort in the short space of time available before a match. Considering the percentage of people who vote in a general election and the amount of percentage votes the government gets compared to the entire population I reckon the anti maze campaing is doing fine.

Should your views differ then that is your right and good luck to you. And I respect your right t have those views as I do those views although I do not necessarily agree with them. However I have not heard too many voices from Ulster rugby supporting the move to the Maze. Maybe you have.

Colin :twisted:
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

ColinH
I have answered the question.
7K - 2K = 5K! There is at the moment no 'vast majority' opposed to involvement in the Maze project, this is a fact. When there are more than 3500 signatures to the petition then you will have a majority of the supporters and I would suggest when there are more than 4500 then your are getting close to a 'vast majority'. The only 'vast majority' are those not opposed to the Maze.
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

dead ball as the petition was only started during the last couple of games last season and only a few people collected them then the 2,000 is pretty damned good. It will continue again in the new season and I believe that the vast majority wil sign it as they see the charade at the maze for what it is :x
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

That is not factual evidence to support your claim that those opposed to the maze are clearly in a minority as you said. That means that there are a large amount of fans that have not yet had the opportunity to express their views. Factual evidence would be if there was a concerted campaign to have Ulster Rugby move to the Maze. So far you are the only voice that I have heard against it. I find it hard to believe that other supporters would not have voiced their views if that were to be the case in either this forum or others.

dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

Colin
That is certainly one explanation for you only having 2K signatures. Your view and your petition are a minority presently. Good luck with it!
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Well there it is then. Settled. Finished. Done. Finito.
'5 post' dead ball - all on this thread - says the 'redevelop Ravenhill' campaign is at an end.

What other opinions do you have on Ulster rugby (the game not the organisation)? New posters are always welcome and debate is to be encouraged, but a bit of previous always helps :wink:

To the point in question - what figures do you have that the majority of UR supporters ARE in favour of a move to the Maze? Did you organise a petition or start a website? Quoting your figures, 2000 individuals have strongly indicated their wish that Ulster continue at Ravenhill. That is NOT the same as suggesting that the other 5000 support a proposed National stadium at the Maze. (I do quibble with your numbers but that's not the point).

Additionally, fans of football (that's poofball Gaz) and GAA are also opposed to this irrational, illogical and insensitive 'decision' from mainland nomarks seeking a legacy that does nothing to benefit the tax-paying citizens who live here.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

DB- I am far from an official spokesperson for UR I simply indicated that there was a number of inaccurate comments in the Sunday Life which need addressed.

With regards to the News Letter have you read the article again I was simply concerned that the article's suggestion of a roof over the terrace was very different from the new stand shown in the paper. Did you yourself not want to reserve judgement on what the re-development was to be before you and your mates bought into it.

With regards to the petition I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers just yet. The plan was always to collect signatures from all the home matches over the course of a full season say 15 games which currently leaves us 4/5 of the way to go yet.

Lets say to date some 30% of those attending the last three home matches signed the petition. Of the other 70% most have yet to be asked so I cannot comment how many more will actyually sign. However I would be interest in what facts you have at hand to suggest that most won't.

Come back to us the end of the process and see what the figures end up as and at that point you may call us want you want.

Out of interest do you accept the figures produced from the URSC online poll that suggested the vast majority don 't want the Maze.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

Okay lets run through this once more.

First- I do not need to produce figures of those who support the Maze project. All I have ever stated is you and others can not say the vast majority of Ulster supporters do not support the Maze project because by your own admission they have not even been asked. At THE MOMENT you have only 2000 signatures therefore until that changes you are in a minority, if however you gain more signatures it is a possibility you may gain a majority, maybe even a vast one! But it is for you to prove your point since you made the claim!

Secondly the URSC poll has been highlighted more than once, let's have the details. What was the result? What question/s were asked? how many people were involved? what was the precentages involved? over how long a period was the poll carried out? if it was online, what security was there to ensure no rigging (multiple voting etc) was involved?
Then I could tell you whether I accept it or not!
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

First- I do not need to produce figures of those who support the Maze project. All I have ever stated is you and others can not say the vast majority of Ulster supporters do not support the Maze project because by your own admission they have not even been asked.
What I said was that they have not been given the opportunity to express their views which is a mile or two away from not having been asked. MORI polls and other marketing companies do not ask everyone for their views but they take samples of views and base their findings on these samples. Perhaps if we were to know how many people refused to sign the petition. The petition can only at this stage be a sample as there are 3 or 4 people collecting names and tens of people going though the gates. It is impossible to canvass all like this unless over a sustained period of time. Thus it would be a fair reflection of the sample if we had an indication as to how many people refused to signt he petition. Given the numbers involved I would suggest they would be few and far between. But I bow to the greater knowledge of those involved.

You seems to have different views to the rest on this DB. What is your feeling about what the average Ulster fan is thinking on this issue?

dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

I like you are not to sure opinion seems to be devided. Given an option to support the Maze (I use support for I don't believe it has ever been on the cards that UR would move lock stock and barrel) for high profile games in the season (if we ever return to winning ways) I think many would be happy to show support for a National stadium.

But the purpose of my comment on this thread was to highlight that the view that some are speaking for the 'vast majority' is inaccurate and nothing more!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

DB- The URSC poll was posted on the URSC site for sometime inviting members to make their opinion known on a number of issues regarding the New Stadium.

It was done at the request of UR and indeed it is my understanding that they actually took account of what was being said and made an adjustment to the plans for re-development.

The results where subsequently published on the website and in the Belfast Telegraph for all to see.

So UR appear to be happy as did the URSC of which you appear to be the only one of nearly 3,000 members to have now (months later) voiced an opinion against.

to quote you
2,000 signatures from 6,000 attenders = 30%
1 voice from 3,000 = ??

if you're gripe is because only 2,000 have signed the petition then don't worry about it that will rise but at least my opinion is presently shared with 2,000 others how many share yours.
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

It's 6K now is it! Well 2K is still a minority opposed to the UB involvement in the Maze. Good luck once again with your petition. Perhaps your view will become 'VAST' some day! :wink:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

unlike yours I suspect
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

dead ball wrote:I like you are not to sure opinion seems to be devided. Given an option to support the Maze (I use support for I don't believe it has ever been on the cards that UR would move lock stock and barrel) for high profile games in the season (if we ever return to winning ways) I think many would be happy to show support for a National stadium.

But the purpose of my comment on this thread was to highlight that the view that some are speaking for the 'vast majority' is inaccurate and nothing more!
I am not so sure opinion is divided DB to be honest but I think the view that the vast majority will want to remain at Ravenhill but time will deal with that one. But there would be a probablity maybe even an inevitability that big games would be moved to the National Stadium on the grounds that Ravenhill would be unable to support the numbers. I reckon games like HEC knock outs, should we ever get that lenght. But then again if the UB is going to invest large amounts of money what will the new capacity be. Time will tell.

dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

CT - Just on a side point perhaps you could think of a slightly more positive statement than 'Ulster says NO' only it has been done before about 15 or 20 years ago and is mind numbingly boring not to mention stero-typical!