Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Dragons

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Dragons

Post by Snipe Watson »

Yer both right................
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by John_e_boy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Positives:

- Henderson: immense
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Henderson was a liability tonight, his youth and inexperience really showed up this evening.

Gave away 6 points in front of the sticks.

Made 2 carries of note ... knocked on at the end of one.

Fell off a couple of tackles.

and

Cocked up quick ball inside the Dragons 22 after the Marshall/Trimble break storming in at 1st receiver and trying to take a pass that was the perfect height and weight to float out to Ruan at 10.

Bar picking up Chavhanga and carrying him back he generally did look a little out of his depth.
Catch a grip Fuzzy - yea he mucked up a couple of times, but he's only 20. What other players were the complete article when they were his age?

For someone of his size, a bit out of depth is still quite deep and he'll only learn by playing in these matches (not that I'm actually agreeing that he was out of his depth, you understand).

Quite a prospect - and one for the future.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by LastKnightoftheproms » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Very very harsh Fuzzy.

For a 20 year old he was physically immense tonight.

Yes there were mistakes - in the first two minutes he tried to steal a ball on the ground and gave away three but his all around game was seriously impressive for a kid.
Proms, its all well and good saying that he was immense for his age. But his age is now immaterial. He is playing for the Ulster senior team and he has to be good enough for that.

We cant look on him as being good for a 20 year old, we need to objectively look at his performance. Was it good enough for the Ulster 1st XV, and tonight, he was shown up a little.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The young fella is going really well and did lots of good things tonight and made a few mistakes. Fuzzy isn't wrong, just a bit harsh.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Don't really see the need to defend Henderson based on his age - although it should certainly change the way we look at the performance. As a straight out performance from an Ulster shirt, it was good enough. Yes, there were some flaws but also some great carries, some great tackles, big work rate and unless I'm mistaken a lineout steal. Back-row forwards concede penalties, it's what they do, the first one was stupid but that happens.

It wasn't his best performance and 'immense' isn't the word I'd use to describe it all round (just his physicality) but shown up? Not in my book.
El conije
Novice

Post by El conije »

Must say against the heads summaries are bang on. Fuzzy: us LArne men can be harsh but what a prospect hendo is; rather he gets involved & makes odd gaff than hide.
Folks - we can be critical but we are miles ahead of anything I've prev seen - we're on a journey & the train has left the station.

Negative- ref, totally pedantic: a good ref should rarely be noticed; this guy was centre of attention. That was a 60pointer had he been 50/50 & ruan brought his boots.
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

fuzzylogic wrote:

Positives:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Henderson was a liability tonight, his youth and inexperience really showed up this evening.

and

Cocked up quick ball inside the Dragons 22 after the Marshall/Trimble break storming in at 1st receiver and trying to take a pass that was the perfect height and weight to float out to Ruan at 10.

Bar picking up Chavhanga and carrying him back he generally did look a little out of his depth.
jaysus wept. Talk about negative coaching!!!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

fuzzylogic wrote:

Positives:

and

Pienaar cocked up, as did Payne as did ............................. yes I doubt if anyone didn't make a few messes tonight
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
interlooter
Warrior Chief

Post by interlooter »

fuzzylogic wrote:

Positives:

and

You may well be on your own there fuzzy.
The 1st penalty he gave away was on half way if I remember correctly and worth a gamble for a steal as he'd got back on his feet.
The ref seen his hand in, but very tempting to go for the egg right under your nose. Cannot remember any missed tackles or the second penalty he gave away, but a hugely positive performance on the whole and to call him a liability makes me think you could be Stephen Ferris's agent. :duck:
if a pig loses it's voice, is it disgruntled?
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

to be honest lads: as a ref myself...

I thought Fitzy tonight was, erratic. He made a few exellent calls

- our holding on when exposed
- the 1 maul where it really did break off and reform
- marshalling the offside line in general
- and the scrum

he also made a few calls that weren't actually calls - missed a lot of off-the-ball obstruction and blocking. On both sides!

But generally, he was not a factor tonight either way.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

John_e_boy wrote:to be honest lads: as a ref myself...

I thought Fitzy tonight was, erratic. He made a few exellent calls

- our holding on when exposed
- the 1 maul where it really did break off and reform
- marshalling the offside line in general
- and the scrum

he also made a few calls that weren't actually calls - missed a lot of off-the-ball obstruction and blocking. On both sides!

But generally, he was not a factor tonight either way.
Agree with that but he did make a balls of the game overall with a lot of petty stuff
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

please, come up with the petty stuff examples!

that's not a criticism, just trying to engage some opinion outside of my ref goggles!
interlooter
Warrior Chief

Post by interlooter »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20106244

Praise from the opposition is very sweet
if a pig loses it's voice, is it disgruntled?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

John_e_boy wrote:please, come up with the petty stuff examples!

that's not a criticism, just trying to engage some opinion outside of my ref goggles!
Need to go through it again but first one that looked very dubious was first penalty against Chris.
He seemed to play advantage for too long before either blowing whistle or letting it run, Dragons advantage near the end was a prime example.
Rory Best
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Rooster » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Pienaar cocked up, as did Payne as did ............................. yes I doubt if anyone didn't make a few messes tonight
They sure did Rooster. But no one has come on here claiming how 'immense' their performances were.

Make no mistakes about it. Ulster on the whole played rather poorly tonight, too many dropped passes, knock ons, pens and turnovers.

To say any one player is immense is a joke. Had John_e_boy or anyone else came on and written about how immense any of our players were tonight I would have made the same type of post.
Last edited by fuzzylogic on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary had a little lamb . . .