Just asking .... is it just me ....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Just asking .... is it just me ....

Post by Cornerfleg »

So let me get this straight Merv ... are you saying that that Warren Gatland, Warren Gatland should commit Wallen Gatrand!

Who do you fancy for the Ashes then? Like him or loath him KP was looking quite dangerous yesterday - Bell could be a liability - mind the Ossies are in free fall. Pyjama stuff passed the time but it's just a distraction like these Lions games ... proper cricket should keep me sane till the rugby season begins.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Assuming they keep their bowlers fit and well, it's got to be Engerland by a distance, with or without KP, Fleg. Although, having said that, the middle order has looked a bit fragile at times, of late.

It'll be interesting to see how young Root goes, if as expected, he opens with Cook.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Just wondering how many of those who dislike the Lions so much have actually ever followed them on one of their tours?

Part of the enjoyment with our beloved Ulster is being there (at least some of the time) and enjoying the craic and passion in the stadium. Getting up at 10am to watch a match on TV doesn't generate the same atmosphere.

As for the games not being great, was the 99' European Cup final we won a thing of beauty? Did anyone on here care about that?

I get the logic behind why some people aren't interested and why they feel Lions concept "doesn't work" anymore, but it is still a highly marketable and successful event. For fans who are there and players it is a fantastic experience. Best rugby one I have ever experienced as a fan. You just listen to what the players say about it and I don't believe that's all hype.

It's also a welcome break from the monotonous summer tours where NH teams are knackered at the end of the season and send weakened teams down to the strong SH teams.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

merv - Root looks a quite special talent, but opening with the masters of sledging ... big test on his head ... I also think yer man Starc, although new to the scene could be a big factor, cracker action and if he can hit a good length, could be looking at 30+ wickets - but Jimmy at home if it's swinging should be the main difference, mind this years batch of Duke balls seem to be total Warren Gatland.

Have to agree it's England's to lose.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Bart S wrote: Part of the enjoyment with our beloved Ulster is being there (at least some of the time) and enjoying the craic and passion in the stadium. Getting up at 10am to watch a match on TV doesn't generate the same atmosphere.
It is a different sort of vibe altogether, but I've really been enjoying going to a local pub on Saturday mornings to watch the Lions games. It's got a TV facing outside into a beer garden so I can enjoy what sun there is at the same time. I admit, I'm on OJ, not alcohol at that time of the morning, but watching the games with a decent crowd of people of various nationalities, lots of bacon sandwiches... its been great fun and I'll miss it after the 3rd test.

It certainly beats other Saturday morning activities like the list of stuff to do around the house...
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Bart ... I've never been on a Lions tour as a fan I know a few who have and they say the atmosphere is class. I also know a former Lions player quite well who will happily wax lyrically about how special the tour was .... though that was going back to the late 50's - but even he thinks that the whole culture meaning and ethos of the Lions has vanished, and quite some time ago.

Could it be that the romantic notion of the old Lions tours, the 74 tour etc ... has been badly photoshopped over the last few epic fails and the overall standard, hype and years worth of hysterical sound bites are just sad old farts trying to cling on to or recreate something that was from a bygone era if it really ever existed.

It's a bit like Christmas ... Portrayed in all the songs and window designs as about clean crisp snow, chestnuts and families, ho ho ho and happiness ... when in fact it's really all about, cold damp weather, financial suicide, huge debt, getting drunk as a fart and infidelity on an Olympic scale.
rosetintedgoggles
Novice

Post by rosetintedgoggles »

Lions is from a bygone era. Should be kicked back into the dark ages of amateurism where it belongs.

The best players from the 4 nations cannot beat Australia when any one of the four nations is capable of beating the Aussies and has done on many occasions - even the Jocks!

Boring, over hyped and utterly pointless....IMHO
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

So why is it the highest honour for a player but some rugby fans would want to see that stripped from them?
Why has professionalism made the Lions less relevant?
Certainly its only on this board that I have seen such vehement opposition to the Lions.
I find it disappointing but I am trying hard to understand it.

Myself, I tend to move in predominantly rugby circles through family and friends etc with varying degrees of experience of the game.
I have friends in Wales, England and Scotland who I have been permanently in touch with regarding the selection of Lions players and tactics during the last year.
It has to be said though the Scots are a little quieter.
I think its great we all can support the one side but I dont have a problem supporting English players as some do from Celtic nations and I have said before I would support England or any NH team over a SH team.

Lions matches in the pro era have given us some of the greatest talking points and thrilling rugby over any other game it has to be said be it bad and good.
2009-Ferris running tries in from half way,the Box destroying the Lions scrum first test.
The 2nd test versus the Box in 2009 is still the most intensive and brutal game of rugby I have ever seen culminating in one of the great climaxes in rugby history.
2005 The spear tackle,Carter producing one of the greatest individual performances in the second tests I have witnessed.
2001 The BOD and Robinson tries, the Harrison last minute lineout steal, ROG getting his head kicked in.
1997-The Dawson dummy,The Orange Free state game, Gibbs flooring of Du Rand, Bentleys solo effort, that drop goal.
Even this series Beales slip and Halfpennys miss are pure sporting theatre along with Falou and Norths brilliance.

These are all just a few highlights from the pro era Lions tours that come about when the best collide at their peaks in sport.
Even from a sporting view point I cant comprehend how someone cannot love all that regardless of whom they choose to support.
Not relevant for some but for me if we wiped those memories clear I would be deprived of some of my greatest sporting moments.
Thats relevance enough for me.
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

The problem isn't the Lions it's the utter pish tactices they are deploying. At the moment it's hit a runner, hit another runner and then pass it to Sexton who sticks up a garryowen. the wingers chase it and if they're lucky Australia concede a penalty and Halfpenny kicks three points.

Oh hang on there is one variation and that is hit a runner, hit another runner and then the scrum half puts up a box kick and the wingers chase that. With any luck they will get a penalty and again Halfpenny will convert.

Let's face it takes a pretty special effort to make a back line containing Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll, Leigh Halfpenny, George North and Jonny Sexton look so average.

Anyway I hope the Lions win on Saturday but we'll be waiting for the Rugby Championship in August for any decent innovative competitive rugby and then thankfully it will also be pre season friendly time for Ulster.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

feck this Lions team.

Will however watch the final test and hope to join tours to SA and NZ soon
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Thats a given Harold but its not the tactics people are questioning on this thread but the concept of the Lions itself.
Dont get me started on Clive Woodward 2005.
I suppose since we are talking professional eras of lions tours I was showing a few of the highlights.
Yet the biggest thing in rugby ahead of that would be considered to be the World Cup.
In terms of excitment and intensity of games, the 2003 final, the 99 France V NZ semi only standout as truely great games and possibly Wales v France semi in the last World Cup.
A lot more test matches but lacking the drama and intensity the Lions tours provide.
Should we stop the World Cup then?
6 nations recent classics anyone off the top of your heads?
Last edited by bazzaj on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

the Power of 4 ... what a song ... still brings tears to my sphincter ....
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Cornerfleg wrote:the Power of 4 ... what a song ... still brings tears to my sphincter ....
Dear oh dear the worst of the worst.
He wanted shooting for that alone.
Oh and Drico could you just throw a leaf in their direction to show you are respecting accepting the haka challengewhile they respect you by dumping you on your head two minutes later.
Alastair fecking Campbell!! :banghead:
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

I agree, very much, with the point KingLuba makes; it is rare that rugby gets to have the spotlight. The 6 Nations, sometimes, goes some of the way but even then, will be beaten down the pecking order by some big football news. The Lions never is. As a rugby fan, it is genuinely nice to see how much Lions tours dominate sports media when they happen. I can't see how that can be bad for the game.

Despite that, I feel no emotional attachments to the Lions in the way I do Ireland or Ulster. I'm happy to see them win but I am not going to bellow the way I do when watching teams that I have an emotional attachment to. That does not mean I don't like the concept of the Lions. I do. That some don't like it doesn't make it irrelevant. I think some in this thread need to realise the difference. A lot of people like the Lions and think it has an important place in the rugby calendar.

Yes, the media circus and the Lions are interlinked; the media, especially Sky, has an incentive to make their investment pay off as much as possible but if the Lions didn't already have that *something*, no amount of razzmatazz, adverts and shouting would make the investment worth it. Given that the Lions have that something, I think many are guilty of transposing their own disinterest into something entirely different and rather patently obviously not true...
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I cared more about the Confederations Cup