Caveman vs THE PAIN

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Caveman vs THE PAIN

Post by Cornerfleg »

Coaching experience???? ... or are you ignoring that one ... getting tired of the patronising bullsh!t with not much to back it up ...

carry on ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Banghead. Downs Rum in more ways than one. Only way to get through the day
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

What grates more is that this whole Payne at 13 for Ireland is only a temporary thing anyway... It's Henshaw's shirt to lose for the World Cup. And yet Ulster persist in pishing off our best 13.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Russ ...

Not that I make a habit of watching the likes of Newsnight ... but you know that bit when the interviewer does a Paxman and asks a question and the good old MP answers everything else but the bit you really wanted him to address ...

What do you recommend ... let it go or press for an answer. It's not out of spite, but it may help in future so that the perp in question might just wind it in enough to make a point without telling everyone else that they're wrong... or put a little "IMHO" caveat on the end of a post so as to concede he like the rest of us has the right to be wrong ....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Big-al wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:Although the more I see of Henshaw the more I am convinced that he will be the man in possesion come the RWC. Payne will likely spend most of his time getting splinters on his ar$e on the bench. I'm convinced he's pretty much just a back up option if Henshaw doesn't make it through injury.

Henshaw is Schmidt's man, certainly. My pecking order for the jersey would be

Henshaw
Cave
Fitzgerald (although he will presumably break himself again)
Bowe, Trimble or any of several other wingers
Payne
Cave got his chance with Ireland in the autumn and was muck. He cannot complain if Schmidt prefers Payne at 13.
Is that the southern hemisphere Autumn al? Y'know down Argentina way?
Or the Georgia one horse race?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

rumncoke wrote:
Personal there are some names I like to see appear on an Ulster team sheet and Payne is one of them whether it is at 13 or 15 doesn't matter
Doesn't matter?!

When Payne plays 15 we are significantly weaker at both 13 and 15. It's beyond stupid that we are still persisting with this ballix.

Ulster's best backline indisputably has Payne at fullback and Cave at 13.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

rumncoke wrote:Whether Payne , Doak, or Humphreys or whoever decides Payne plays 13 or 15 is not really a matter I or anyone else knows the truth about Whether Cave is a better 13 than Payne is a matter of opinion .

My take would be that Payne was signed by Ulster with the blessing of the IRFU with an understanding that he was a "project" player and at the time he was signed Ireland lacked an obvious replacement for BoD and or cover at full back for Kearney ( with Earls and Fitzgerald doing the job while Kearney was injured }
You said "whether Cave is a better 13 than Payne is a matter of opinion." Fair enough; you then go on not to offer your opinion on Cave v Payne at 13, instead opting to say that we owe Payne the 13 jersey because we made him a pinkie pwomise 3 years ago. Either give us your opinion on who is the better 13 (and ideally, why), or don’t bother at all.

Additionally, Humphreys does not decide anything anymore. He “decided” – that is what we call past tense.
rumncoke wrote:Personally there are some names I like to see appear on an Ulster team sheet and Payne is one of them whether it is at 13 or 15 doesn't matter
Seriously? You are seriously saying that it doesn't matter which of these massively different positions Payne turns out in? So you either think that

(a) There is no difference in the skills needed to play 13 or 15 well
(b) Payne has the skills to play either 13 or 15 well
(c) You enjoy the aesthetic appearance of the word 'Payne' on the Ulster team-sheet you have faxed to you every week on your homemade, typewriter-iPhone hybrid.

Believing any of the above (or all of them at the same time, knowing you) statements could only be the act of an utter, unreconstructed buffoon.

rumncoke wrote:Having been signed as a" project replacement International " if Ulster deny him the opportunity to play for his place they could be in breach of Contract.
I can only presume your legal experience is even worse than the dry well of your rugby knowledge. I would laugh my Brennan off if DHumph signed a contract that specified a quota of games or some such where Payne had to play 13; I would laugh even more if some QC who had fallen off his rocker via medicinal marijuana and various other "happy substances" ever ruled such a contract legally valid.

rumncoke wrote:The other two names in the back line are RUAN AND JACKSON
I actually welcome this error, compared to your others, for its courteous simplicity of stupidity. Ruan and Jackson are not the other two names in the back line; they are 2 of a total of 7 backs in most starting Ulster back-lines. (To nit-pick, it's either "Ruan and Paddy" or "Pienaar and Jackson", but hey, you've made bigger mistakes - see immediately above.)

I like this forum, rum. I’m relatively new to Ulster Rugby, and rugby in general – I have found this forum to be welcoming, insightful, entertaining and downright fecking funny since I joined it. You are quite clearly not a troll (sadly, for then you could be ignored), but simply a fellow poster who suffers from a calamitous mixture of complete absence of knowledge, remarkable stamina and an entirely unwarranted arrogance.

All is not lost, however. If you take the time to read before you write, and write less in general, you may actually learn something. Until then, please be quiet.

Am I in trouble, fermain?
It's the hope that kills you.
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

There's room for both - I would be delighted to see Payne start at 15 for the rest of the season.

Even a blind man can see that he's not a great 13, but he is an excellent 15. Persisting with this "experiment" will likely cost us a top 4 spot and potentially disrupt what was at the end of last season a very cohesive team (this actually worries me more than not making the playoffs)

I'm at the point where I would rather he's nowhere near the team / squad if he's not playing 15 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Finished
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cornerfleg wrote:Russ ...

Not that I make a habit of watching the likes of Newsnight ... but you know that bit when the interviewer does a Paxman and asks a question and the good old MP answers everything else but the bit you really wanted him to address ...

What do you recommend ... let it go or press for an answer. It's not out of spite, but it may help in future so that the perp in question might just wind it in enough to make a point without telling everyone else that they're wrong... or put a little "IMHO" caveat on the end of a post so as to concede he like the rest of us has the right to be wrong ....
I work in professional bullshit so don't ask me
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

I could (often have) been wrong but it struck me that Darren was not too well when he came off, which may explain him bumping into someone. Admittedly, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of love between the two of them, which is a task for the coaching team to sort out.
Bo***cks to Brexit
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Payne was signed up as a "project" all and sundry want to see Ulster signing a Project type back row player

My point is you can not sign a project player expect him to come 1/2 way across the world leaving family and friends etc and then say to him "you're play x position because its best for us and to hell with your International ambitions "

The next time you wave a similar contract in front of a player don't be surprised if you're told to stuff it if having given a player an understanding of an opportunity at International level and then deny him that opportunity .

It's not good form whether the contract is written or verbal.

The problem is this not only affects Ulster's recruitment outlook but every province trying to sign a project player.

At the time the IRFU were in the market for a BoD replacement Ulster were in the market for a full back but unfortunately for Payne Ulster had a pipeline of centres.

Basically I don't think opinion comes into the equation because I consider that honouring the contract is more important in the long term.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Cave wasn't well all week maybe they should have rested him.....
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I have a job

I wanted nothing better to lie in my scratcher and watch the NFL last night

I had however to hand in a report this morning.

So I took one for the team and wrote the report whilst watching the NFL, with less scratching involved.

Payne has a job
Payne wants to play 13
Ulster need him to play 15

Ulster pay the bills.
Dont like it, change job.

I could change job to one where i turn up 9 to 5 and have no responsibility, infact I recently changed job away from that as i wanted to play 13 and the insurance firm was making me play 15
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cockatrice wrote:Cave wasn't well all week maybe they should have rested him.....
We'd have lost.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

One thing I must demur on - don't care how justified it is, you don't need players sulking, and it's disappointing to see Cave being a bit ungracious about leaving the field.

Everything else I think I agree with the masses here - Cave's our best 13; Payne's our best 15; if Payne must play 13 he should do it elsewhere; the whole thing is symptomatic of the ever increasing ballix this season is becoming, and probably contributing to it too. Oh, and its bloody frustrating watching Payne trot out at 13 when you know he's Ireland's 2nd choice there at best.

Thing is, if everyone sees it, how comes the coaches don't? Or is there something we're missing?