Shocking Calls

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Shocking Calls

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Pat Lam is not a happy puppy.
https://soundcloud.com/knockon-ie/pat-l ... iff-defeat
>appl >appl >appl >appl What a fantastic response from Pat Lam. Factual, direct and much needed. 10/10

Lam in............
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Once a Knight wrote:Yes. Top quality interview. Calling it for what it was. Pat Lam >you_rock .
I always liked Pat Lam - both as a coach and a player. This is exactly what you want from someone in charge of a rugby team 100% professional response which nails the issues without any histrionics etc.
Mind you - the evidence he presents about that nice Mr Hodges is pretty damning - but will action be taken? Somehow I doubt it - the powers that be (Morrison et al) will just give him a bye ball not least because he's Welsh! :roll: :whistle:
Hope is not a strategy.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

I remember we had a coach once upon a time who spent half of his time writing letters of the the Celtic League referees committee.

Fair play to Lam. I am always at loath to blame a referee for a loss but the levels of performance, and influence they are having on games is really impacting both our own league and rugby as a whole.

Too many mini-Hitlers with whistles who don't have any empathy for the game and are really doing it damage.

There is no consistency ref to ref. Some refs happy to give a red card for what they view as dangerous others happy to defer to the citing commissioner ala Barnes for the knee into Heaslips back.

I'm not saying it's an easy job and I wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested or equipped to being one however these people have chosen said path and are not jolly volunteers togging out to referee old boys 3rd XV on a Saturday. They are supposedly elite and should be judged accordingly.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Some of these serial offenders need to be stood down for a while and bruise their egos a little.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Snipe Watson wrote:Some of these serial offenders need to be stood down for a while and bruise their egos a little.
Would there be enough left?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Some of these serial offenders need to be stood down for a while and bruise their egos a little.
Would there be enough left?
Nigel would be busy.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Once a Knight wrote:Oh no doubt that nothing will happen officially. "sirs" don't have "integrity issues".
Both a ref and TMO had their integrity undermined by a citing commissioner last week about Rogers incident and he was backed up by the disciplinary panel >threaten
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I like the fact that Lam has the balls to challenge and indeed the fact that he can turn up at an after match interview with the video evidence to back what he claims… maybe not everyone will agree but last week all I heard Doak say was how well we played in the first half leaving me to think he was watching a different game on SKY.

Unfortunately none of us probably know how we prepare to defend a player for a Citing Commission but I fear that other clubs have a far better handle on it than us. It appears to me anyhow that others get their players off with less sentencing even for what appear to be more serious offences.

You'd think with the history we have of legal eagles getting murderers off on technicalities we could make a better fist of getting more out of a Citing Commission.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Worst call of all time: Umaga and Mealamu escaping all sanction for their spear tackle on O'Driscoll in '05. Grounds not only for punishment by the rugby authorities but even for the police to take a look. Disgraceful inaction by the citing commissioner and the IRB.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Shalk Burger nearly taking Luke Fitzgeralds eyes on on the ends of his fingers up there as well.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

damianmcr wrote:
Deraless wrote:Was the holding incident Chris Henry and Clermont?
No I think it was Ferris and someone else. Ferris was roaring at the touch judge. Pretty sure he Dave went back and awarded the penalty for it.
http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/01/2314/n ... er-players
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

That's not the incident I was thinking off. The ref gave the penalty so it wasn't an injustice.

Incident I was thinking of was the Clermont try to win it where I think it was Henry was subject to an NFL type block.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote:I'd hardly put the Clermont incident up there as one of the great injustices in rugby. That kind of thing happens a lot and if it had been the other way i doubt it would be mentioned in this thread!

Besides, iirc he did us a favour as we would never had enjoyed the great win at Thomond in the QF's had we won the group that year. :D

The ireland vs wales one was an absolute shocker and just plain wrong in every sense.

I seem to recall another one involing connacht and a drop out or drop goal a few years ago but can't remember the exact story behind it. Doddering in my old age....... :shock:
It was a ridiculous decision by one of the stupidest wee gobshite refs Scotland has ever produced - quite an indictment when you consider the strength of competition that country has produced.

Rob Dickson, if ever any man perfectly fitted the description "pipsqueak" that man is Rob Dickson.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 331274.stm

Dickson made up an offence, the punishment for delaying in rugby is a free kick, Dickhead gave a penalty and Connacht were robbed.

I remember watching the game and even Jiffy was incensed, he said that Connacht had been robbed and that he had never seen a ref with less empathy for rugby players.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Will Lam get any support? Can he call for Hodges to face a disciplinary hearing for his alleged comments and conduct at the end of the game??

If it can be proved alongside what actually happened at the end of the game, Hodges should be facing a ban himself.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

What are the odds that Hodges is backed 100% and Lam has action taken against him? More hope of making a complaint against Putin in Russia. If you add the citing farces to the abysmal officiating there is definitely a whiff of something a bit off!