World Cup News

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: World Cup News

Post by bazzaj »

Kofi Annan wrote:We aren't getting it are we :thumleft:
England players against overseas inclusion for World Cup

England internationals would oppose the inclusion of overseas-based players for the World Cup, BBC Sport understands.
Under Rugby Football Union rules, only players playing in the domestic leagues can represent England, unless there are "exceptional circumstances".
BBC rugby correspondent Ian Robertson said current squad members he had spoken to would be "outraged" if expats were made eligible for selection.
"The players don't want outsiders to come in," he told BBC Radio 5 live.
Clermont's former Bath full-back Nick Abendanon was named European Player of the Year for this season, while Toulon flanker Steffon Armitage picked up the award in 2014.

Nick Abendanon left Premiership side Bath to join Clermont last summer
Both have been mooted as potential inclusions in Stuart Lancaster's England squad, as the exceptional circumstances clause could apply to this summer's home World Cup.
"Strictly on merit they would be good enough to be in the England squad," Robertson said of Abendanon and Armitage, who have two and five international caps respectively.
"But the players I've spoken to are unanimous that it would disrupt the squad enormously, that they would have had a free ride, taken the big money abroad and come in for the glory of the World Cup.
"And, of course, this also would affect Stuart Lancaster and his coaching team.
"I'm certain they're of exactly the same view that they have a tight squad, they've worked together non-stop for the last three years building up to the World Cup and it would be exceptionally unusual for somebody like Lancaster to want to bring in people from outside."
I take umbrage with this.
It's an hark back to the days of club amateurism to exclude players whose face didn't fit or didn't go to the right school.
Note didn't hear many objections to the Sam Burgess recent involvement who wasn't in the same sport never mind squad a year ago so it all smacks of double standards about the inclusion of 'outsiders'..
If they are deemed good enough, act professional and get on with it rather than pretending there are other reasons apart from petty jealousy for not including them.
MCBwinwinwin
Initiate

Post by MCBwinwinwin »

When will the Ireland training squad be announced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

MCBwinwinwin wrote:When will the Ireland training squad be announced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whenever Schmidt wants

In all seriousness you don't kick Munster when they're down
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

World Rugby is monitoring recent disciplinary cases in Ireland and France before this year's World Cup.
Seems that the couple of non citings have been noticed. That's great.

Wonder did they notice the ridiculous citings too and do something about Minto.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
World Rugby is monitoring recent disciplinary cases in Ireland and France before this year's World Cup.

Have a care Snipe, he's an ambulance chaser, you might want to put an "allegedly" in their. Never trust a Scot - allegedly. >EW He might be that dickhead Weegwarrior or whatever the halfwit called himself.

Not much class in Glasgow, the best of them come from NI. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Snipe Watson wrote:

No mention anywhere of England - oh that's right - they came up with a new category of citing just for them and Farrell :lol:

Can't have the coach's son banned for the World Cup - Brass balls :roll: :banghead:
Finished
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cipriani booted out of England WC squad
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Russ wrote:Cipriani booted out of England WC squad
Arrested for drink driving after the Barbarians game.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

I think Lancaster doesn't really have a choice does he?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

damianmcr wrote:I think Lancaster doesn't really have a choice does he?
Why?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

damianmcr wrote:I think Lancaster doesn't really have a choice does he?
Was he detained for being incapable, did he kill a young family in the crash? No he was arrested under suspicion and breathalised then sent on his way.

He may have committed a crime he may not. Many have done similar, others in rugby have gone on to enjoy a normal career after such incidents, it may not be a terminal condition.

He may simply need to catch a bus to training. Maybe someone will give him a lift.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Released on bail Baggy.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:
Russ wrote:Cipriani booted out of England WC squad
Arrested for drink driving after the Barbarians game.
image.jpg
image.jpg (82.27 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

damianmcr wrote:Released on bail Baggy.
Exactly Damo, arrested , breathalysed & sent on his way.

In other news:

Dylan Hartley,
Hartley, who has 66 international caps, added: "I've been unlucky with getting it wrong on the big stage a few times now. Maybe it's down to emotions?
"I feel I can still contribute and as long as Stuart Lancaster thinks that too, that's all that matters. I need to channel my hurt into training because, when the World Cup starts, I need to be in a good place fitness-wise in case of injuries."
So just bad luck then. :roll:

Of course, the praise for Stuart of Lancaster does indeed appear to be somewhat misplaced. In his own words, Hartley being binned was down to practicalities - not him binning him. I doubt Hartley would have said what he has without Lancaster having given him encouragement that he may be needed.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Amazing that he's managed to fit 66 caps around all the bans.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall