2015/16 - Captain

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Re: 2015/16 - Captain

Post by Amiga500 »

big mervyn wrote: or Roger.

Nope. No chance.

Roger Wilson is f**king useless at dealing with the referee. Sleeps though every game he's been captain and doesn't get in the referee's ear to point out problems.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Amiga500 wrote:

Nope. No chance.

Roger Wilson is f**king useless at dealing with the referee. Sleeps though every game he's been captain and doesn't get in the referee's ear to point out problems.
Not to mention another minor distraction.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

big mervyn wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Contenders might include Cave, Wilson, Chad and Best with maybe PJ as one for the future.
I tend to prefer my captains to be big South African second rowers though I hope no one sees VDM as a Muller lite.
How much game time are Chad and Rory going to get this year?
Didn't say they would get game time or not nor at any point did I say they should get it but they would be one of a few that would be considered.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Franco seems the obvious answer in a RWC year. There was talk last year before Rory was appointed that Franco was a possible captain as he had experience in SA & was supposedly a direct Johann replacement. Like Johann did he has served a year as an impressive bloke before a possible call to captaincy.

I'd be surprised if he isn't, then again with Les Kiss allegedly coming here after the RWC, Aussies sometimes have odd notion like joint captains, could see Rory retained but partnered with Franco.

Just saying.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

IIRC Johann managed to serve his year in just a couple of months. (Typical of the man).

I'm not sure Francie has that ability, but he certainly would be my choice for captain at this point.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I remember Will Greenwood and Scott Quinnell saying that forwards tend to make better captains, and I would be inclined to agree.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
HoneyBadger
Novice

Post by HoneyBadger »

I wonder how long till Paddy gets his chance.
Using Tapatalk
10 or 15 only
Initiate

Post by 10 or 15 only »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:

Nope. No chance.

Not to mention another minor distraction.
Baggy,
He's also not too good at dancing that Morris..
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Has to be a forward for me and Franco is a great candidate, pretty much a no brainer.
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

Rovi Snave wrote:Franco.

I have a huge amount of respect for Rory, but being captain detracts from his game :red:
bollicks.The man is a great cap'n force of nature
sssssss
Novice

Post by sssssss »

I am an outsider but just one question from an outsiders point of view what's wrong with Rory Best gives his all and plays for the shirt .
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:IIRC Johann managed to serve his year in just a couple of months. (Typical of the man).

I'm not sure Francie has that ability, but he certainly would be my choice for captain at this point.
AIs, yes but not the club captain until the following year unless I am losing it.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

sssssss wrote:I am an outsider but just one question from an outsiders point of view what's wrong with Rory Best gives his all and plays for the shirt .
There is a perception that he's not a captain in the POC or indeed Muller mould who have and had (respectively) quite a way with referees. Rory, due in no small part to the ferocious work he does at the coal face, isn't quite as cool as he might be. You can see him get visibly irked when he gets pinged.

That said I don't have a major issue with him as captain. As an example to others there are few more committed to the cause. Personally I would have him as Club captain but Franco as deputy during the RWC.

Think Henry will get it the 2016/17 season.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

sssssss wrote:I am an outsider but just one question from an outsiders point of view what's wrong with Rory Best gives his all and plays for the shirt .
It's not what's wrong with Rory, it's that he will be marked absent for most of the season with Ireland, better to have someone who will not be offski so much.

I'd have no issue with joint captains, but Rory leading when available. Anyway after the experience of the last 3 years, not a whole lot of point getting ahead of ourselves as injuries continually feck us up.
sssssss
Novice

Post by sssssss »

Point taken on both accounts yes I understand the 6 nations all pro 12 teams are depleted and the fact he is a passionate guy . But that said he is a bloody good captain