Midfield Dilemma

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Midfield Dilemma

Post by Snipe Watson »

thecrouch wrote:Joseph singled out Jordi Murphy for praise after the Wales game at Landsdowne Road, despite the fact that Murphy spent the entire match being eaten alive by Tipuric and showed only that he will never be an international 7.

What a coach says to the media is nonsense. If a coach told the media it was raining outside they would be best advised to stick their head out the window and make sure.
A good coach should know every player inside out, know what makes them tick and treat them accordingly. Joe's job is to get his squad ready for the task ahead, not pander to the media. Joe is building players up and I think it's fair to assume that Joe feels Fitzgerald needs building up. So he gives him game time and a bit of a boost in the media.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:Nothing more than Zoolander being reassured he still has "blue steel" and that he as the most marvellous player out there and that nobody noticed he can't turn to the left.
Interesting how those who wish to have a go at Fitzgerald go back to the indiscretions of his youth and conveniently overlook the more recent history when he was so down that he was on the verge of quitting rugby altogether. Both the arrogance and the lows suggest to me that there is a level of fragility and self doubt about the guy.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:Nothing more than Zoolander being reassured he still has "blue steel" and that he as the most marvellous player out there and that nobody noticed he can't turn to the left.
Interesting how those who wish to have a go at Fitzgerald go back to the indiscretions of his youth and conveniently overlook the more recent history when he was so down that he was on the verge of quitting rugby altogether. Both the arrogance and the lows suggest to me that there is a level of fragility and self doubt about the guy.
May I commend this heartrending tale of one Mexican's struggle to rise above being a chube, injury & a diet of kidney beans to the house.

Everybody say "Awwwwwwwwwwww". :duh: :duh: :duh: Aye, awe as in "awe fer feck's sake catch yerself on big lad", would be more like it. Your not Neil Fluffy Francis are you Snipe?

FFS Snipe, some or all of that may or may not be based in fact, its hardly the bloody issue. Are you suggesting international rugby is the ideal place for rehabing depressives?

"The Issue" is favouritism, pure & simple. Giving a leg up to a favoured Mexican of an undeserving kind.

Incidentally Oncst, great point on the inability to turn left. That entirely explains why after he had inspected a ruck he dawdled back in a straight line rather than head anywhere close to where he should have been with the play wide left, i.e. the centre (playing position a broad hint :roll: ) :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
May I commend this heartrending tale of one Mexican's struggle to rise above being a chube, injury & a diet of kidney beans to the house.

Everybody say "Awwwwwwwwwwww". :duh: :duh: :duh: Aye, awe as in "awe fer feck's sake catch yerself on big lad", would be more like it. Your not Neil Fluffy Francis are you Snipe? Don't think so :shock:

FFS Snipe, some or all of that may or may not be based in fact, its hardly the bloody issue. Are you suggesting international rugby is the ideal place for rehabing depressives? No

"The Issue" is favouritism, pure & simple. Giving a leg up to a favoured Mexican of an undeserving kind. I disagree

Incidentally Oncst, great point on the inability to turn left. That entirely explains why after he had inspected a ruck he dawdled back in a straight line rather than head anywhere close to where he should have been with the play wide left, i.e. the centre (playing position a broad hint :roll: ) :thumleft:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Spiffsson wrote:
thecrouch wrote:He will probably continue to select him at 12 in future in some cases, but I would be very surprised to see him displace Henshaw in any game of importance.
I would not be too surprised to see Fitz/Henshaw at 12/13 (or vice versa) Might even be a better option than Payne/Henshaw. I have never been that fond of Payne in the centre. Good enough defence but does not bring much to attack. I don't suppose we will ever see a Henshaw/Cave combo but might be interesting.
I would like to see Henshaw and Cave in centre the 2 Kearneys on the wings and Payne at fullback
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Rooster wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
thecrouch wrote:He will probably continue to select him at 12 in future in some cases, but I would be very surprised to see him displace Henshaw in any game of importance.
I would not be too surprised to see Fitz/Henshaw at 12/13 (or vice versa) Might even be a better option than Payne/Henshaw. I have never been that fond of Payne in the centre. Good enough defence but does not bring much to attack. I don't suppose we will ever see a Henshaw/Cave combo but might be interesting.
I would like to see Henshaw and Cave in centre the 2 Kearneys on the wings and Payne at fullback
As much as I'd like to see that too, can't see it happening this WC.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
A good coach should know every player inside out, know what makes them tick and treat them accordingly. Joe's job is to get his squad ready for the task ahead, not pander to the media. Joe is building players up and I think it's fair to assume that Joe feels Fitzgerald needs building up. So he gives him game time and a bit of a boost in the media.
I don't think Joe would give somebody gametime in a RWC game, even one against weak opposition, just to boost their confidence. Joe believe in Fitz and thinks he offers a lot to Ireland. He may be right, he may be wrong though to be honest that hardly matters for the purpose of discussion on rugby forums as Fitz could score the winning try in the RWC Final and some folk would say it would have been scored in a better way if someone else was playing there. :D

I do agree that Joe could give more vocal public praise to a player who may need a confidence boost. There is a benefit to both the player and to Ireland in that. Joe knows this and so does anybody with their head attached the right way around.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I reckon Joe doesn't trust too many of the reserve backs to be honest. He thinks Fitzy is about as good as it's going to get so he wants to give him some gametime and build his confidence in case he needs to call on him.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave Humph let slip to one of the bees who let slip to myself that Payne was earmarked as a 13 by the Irish scout who went down to view him

He then played 15 for us as we had a need but as soon as BoD went he was forever to remain at 13
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
Christmas will come Rooster but I very much doubt your boon will be granted.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Russ wrote:Dave Humph let slip to one of the bees who let slip to myself that Payne was earmarked as a 13 by the Irish scout who went down to view him

He then played 15 for us as we had a need but as soon as BoD went he was forever to remain at 13
I'd say as soon as we requested permission to sign him D4 had him earmarked as BOD's successor.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
I don't think Joe would give somebody gametime in a RWC game, even one against weak opposition, just to boost their confidence. Joe believe in Fitz and thinks he offers a lot to Ireland. He may be right, he may be wrong though to be honest that hardly matters for the purpose of discussion on rugby forums as Fitz could score the winning try in the RWC Final and some folk would say it would have been scored in a better way if someone else was playing there. :D

I do agree that Joe could give more vocal public praise to a player who may need a confidence boost. There is a benefit to both the player and to Ireland in that. Joe knows this and so does anybody with their head attached the right way around.
Snipe, you are stuck on this "rehab" track, I suggest that FibberJoe doesn't run a mental health system for depressed Mexicans but I think you have something there. Unpleasant as it is to contemplate, I suspect there is one part of Fitzgerald that he knows inside out all right. :roll:

As for you Shan, you're right to a large extent, I would be horrified to see that useless tramp Zoolander (I am increasingly amused by that since I discovered what it means) anywhere near a RWC final, indeed I believe he has no business being there now, given the exclusion of the GLU, Ulster's leading tryscorer and a proper rugby player .......... sadly looking ever more prone to injury and for whom I am genuinely concerned, long may he reign.

GSTGLU. :thumleft:

God save our GLU
Long live our noble GLU
God save the GLU
Send him victorious
Happy and tryscorious
Long to reign over us
God save the GLU.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

God save our GLU
Long live our noble GLU
God save the GLU
Send him victorious
Happy and tryscorious
Long to reign over us
God save the GLU.
Feck things are getting worse than I thought now I see you pleading with an imaginary entity to save Ned Flanders. Of course Ned would probably tell you he has already been saved. The way yer goin' here ya might be on yer way to the same fate. :lol:
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe, you are stuck on this "rehab" track, I suggest that FibberJoe doesn't run a mental health system for depressed Mexicans but I think you have something there. Unpleasant as it is to contemplate, I suspect there is one part of Fitzgerald that he knows inside out all right. :roll:
Joe knows what he is doing. He's keeping the squad together and building up guys. Building one block on top of the other.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Joe knows what he is doing. He's keeping the squad together and building up guys. Building one block on top of the other.
Hope it all turns out well. After all, Declan Kidney knew what he was doing for quite a while there. Even won a grand slam with the team, something that has not happened since.
As for building up guys - surely it must be Darren Cave's turn now? He probably needs it after having his arrse kicked to the bottom of the midfield pecking order. Or maybe he's made of sterner stuff than Luke-ma and does not need his ego stroked?