Okay then, "The Phoney War"

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Okay then, "The Phoney War"

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bart S wrote:As i said before, some people got a bit carried away with winning the 6N's this year and the no.2 world ranking. The truth is that we could very easily have finished 3rd in the tournament and there was no clear evidence that we were better than Wales or England. The no.2 ranking was also earned in part due to a kind fixture list for Ireland. I'd say the reality was that we were capable on our day of beating each of England, Wales, France,SA and Aus, at home, but would more than likely lose away and indeed, luck may determine the outcome as the games were likely to be close.

Our form going into the tournament did not lie and we were also handicapped by being reliant on a few players staying fit due to the lack of alternaitves, notably Mike Ross, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton and to a lesser extent, Rob kearney.

My thoughts before the tournament were that we COULD make the semi finals given the draw we had, but that would depend on beating France in the pool stages. Nothing has changed in that regard. I still think if we beat France and don't ship injuries to key players then we should still beat Argentina, although it will be an epic battle. Lose to France and we'll put in a heroic display with nothing to lose against the AB's but ultimately still lose.

We won't pass the semi final stage, but that would still be a good tournament for Ireland.
I don't think we got carried away, but the fact remains we won two 6N in a row. However in both of those years, we lost our big away game. The one thing that does give us a false sense of our quality is the AI wins over Southern Hemisphere teams. I cannot see how we can compete with Australia if they play like they did yesterday or New Zealand for that matter. Argentina we can compete with and likewise Wales. If we beat France we can go all the way to the final as I Fancy Wales to beat SA in Cardiff. If we lose to France we will go out yesterday fortnight in QF2.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

RWC is a phoney war for us Baggy. We are building towards next year's 6n. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Bart S wrote:As i said before, some people got a bit carried away with winning the 6N's this year and the no.2 world ranking. The truth is that we could very easily have finished 3rd in the tournament and there was no clear evidence that we were better than Wales or England. The no.2 ranking was also earned in part due to a kind fixture list for Ireland. I'd say the reality was that we were capable on our day of beating each of England, Wales, France,SA and Aus, at home, but would more than likely lose away and indeed, luck may determine the outcome as the games were likely to be close.

Our form going into the tournament did not lie and we were also handicapped by being reliant on a few players staying fit due to the lack of alternaitves, notably Mike Ross, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton and to a lesser extent, Rob kearney.

My thoughts before the tournament were that we COULD make the semi finals given the draw we had, but that would depend on beating France in the pool stages. Nothing has changed in that regard. I still think if we beat France and don't ship injuries to key players then we should still beat Argentina, although it will be an epic battle. Lose to France and we'll put in a heroic display with nothing to lose against the AB's but ultimately still lose.

We won't pass the semi final stage, but that would still be a good tournament for Ireland.
I don't think we got carried away, but the fact remains we won two 6N in a row. However in both of those years, we lost our big away game. The one thing that does give us a false sense of our quality is the AI wins over Southern Hemisphere teams. I cannot see how we can compete with Australia if they play like they did yesterday or New Zealand for that matter. Argentina we can compete with and likewise Wales. If we beat France we can go all the way to the final as I Fancy Wales to beat SA in Cardiff. If we lose to France we will go out yesterday fortnight in QF2.
IF we were to beat France and then Argentina in the QF's, would the semi final not be against the winner of the Aus/Wales pool or the runner up of the SA/Sco/Japan pool? (Most likely to be the aussies the way things are going)?

If so, then Ireland's best hope would be for Wales to bust a gut and somehow do the aussies over, who peaked against England, then the busted up welsh team to lose to the Scots in the QF's, resulting in a semi final against the Scots. We can but dream! :D
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Sure Cave will start 13 against France and PJ bench for Sexton....that's the phoney war over now :duck:
Evidently, the biggest phoney is the coach.
Out in the quarters. As an aside, White looked a better tighthead than happy feet.
Exterminate all rational thought
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Parisse putting Ross on his ass in the first half was a moment of pure comedy. He looked like a turtle trying it's best to get back up.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

God, you saved me 5 mins typing. Spot on the bart man. What I would add, is that the 6N has been pretty pish the last few years. I thought Ireland had a decent chance in this RWC because I didn't think the SH were playing that great. However, Oz seem to be clicking, SA warming up and NZ are playing silly beggers. I wouldn't be too surprised to see an all SH semi-final lineup at this rate....

Don't see too much in Ireland V France. Could be down to whoever's scrum gets the upper hand. I fancy Ireland will just edge it.

I'm surprised Ireland didn't thump Italy with no Jared at 13.... :roll:
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Bart S wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

IF we were to beat France and then Argentina in the QF's, would the semi final not be against the winner of the Aus/Wales pool or the runner up of the SA/Sco/Japan pool? (Most likely to be the aussies the way things are going)?

If so, then Ireland's best hope would be for Wales to bust a gut and somehow do the aussies over, who peaked against England, then the busted up welsh team to lose to the Scots in the QF's, resulting in a semi final against the Scots. We can but dream! :D
Yes. This would basically be a re-enactment of Ulsters run in the HEC
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

againstthehead wrote:

God, you saved me 5 mins typing. Spot on the bart man. What I would add, is that the 6N has been pretty pish the last few years. I thought Ireland had a decent chance in this RWC because I didn't think the SH were playing that great. However, Oz seem to be clicking, SA warming up and NZ are playing silly beggers. I wouldn't be too surprised to see an all SH semi-final lineup at this rate....

Don't see too much in Ireland V France. Could be down to whoever's scrum gets the upper hand. I fancy Ireland will just edge it.

I'm surprised Ireland didn't thump Italy with no Jared at 13.... :roll:
Would have been a draw if we had Jihad
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:RWC is a phoney war for us Baggy. We are building towards next year's 6n. :D
Ah if only Shan, I've long believed Ireland should treat an RWC like an awkward contractual obligation to be got out of the way. I've never seen much point in playing in an event you can't win, the main reason I've never bother entering the Belfast Marathon.

In a good year we can be champions of all of Europe :cheers: , especially in these days of shared championships being handed farcically to a team with the best points difference when teams play different numbers of home and away games. Then you get boys like Snipe saying we've "won" the last two, rather than shared, in one season with two other teams and the other with one.

It all creates a false sense of ability, you'd almost think that finishing on the same points with half of the competing teams makes you brill,the bestest, like Ulster.

Yesterday was just awful, lucky O'Mahony, who I would have dropped to play Hendo at 6 :duh: , was there not just for his tackle but for being a one man backrow when yet again Heaslip appeared in awe of Parisse and Christ knows what Seannie was thinking about, probably cattle or rolling acres of sward, certainly not rugby, strolling around there being bested at every cut and turn. Fair dues to POM, I'll even forgive his stupid moment and send him my apologies for wanting to dump him.

Henshaw and Keet looked like strangers by and large so Payne better be fit or Christ knows we might get and eighth centre pairing in 8 games, Keet and Fitzgerald sounds brill. :duh:

Signs of Sexton getting his game together but a bad one from Conor Murray, hopefully he'll be back to normal.

The sad thing off the back of a poor game like that, there are almost no changes to even consider, Toner for Hendo possible but I doubt it, Henry for SOB not one I'd make for France, Bowe is and always has been a cert despite many doubting it, it fits FibberBall not just the likely, but only only way we can compete against bigger teams.

Reasons to be cheerful? Well we've "won" the last two 6Ns allegedly. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Shan wrote:RWC is a phoney war for us Baggy. We are building towards next year's 6n. :D
Ah if only Shan, I've long believed Ireland should treat an RWC like an awkward contractual obligation to be got out of the way. I've never seen much point in playing in an event you can't win, the main reason I've never bother entering the Belfast Marathon.

In a good year we can be champions of all of Europe :cheers: , especially in these days of shared championships being handed farcically to a team with the best points difference when teams play different numbers of home and away games. Then you get boys like Snipe saying we've "won" the last two, rather than shared, in one season with two other teams and the other with one.

It all creates a false sense of ability, you'd almost think that finishing on the same points with half of the competing teams makes you brill,the bestest, like Ulster.

Yesterday was just awful, lucky O'Mahony, who I would have dropped to play Hendo at 6 :duh: , was there not just for his tackle but for being a one man backrow when yet again Heaslip appeared in awe of Parisse and Christ knows what Seannie was thinking about, probably cattle or rolling acres of sward, certainly not rugby, strolling around there being bested at every cut and turn. Fair dues to POM, I'll even forgive his stupid moment and send him my apologies for wanting to dump him.

Henshaw and Keet looked like strangers by and large so Payne better be fit or Christ knows we might get and eighth centre pairing in 8 games, Keet and Fitzgerald sounds brill. :duh:

Signs of Sexton getting his game together but a bad one from Conor Murray, hopefully he'll be back to normal.

The sad thing off the back of a poor game like that, there are almost no changes to even consider, Toner for Hendo possible but I doubt it, Henry for SOB not one I'd make for France, Bowe is and always has been a cert despite many doubting it, it fits FibberBall not just the likely, but only only way we can compete against bigger teams.

Reasons to be cheerful? Well we've "won" the last two 6Ns allegedly. :D
Murrays issues may stem from his backrow being in Italian pockets
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

I heart this. SOB was MIA, and Heaslip looks knackered,as he's played every minute. Poor management of his gametime. In fairness to POM.... etc... Never thought I'd say THAT!
He could do worse than start Chad.
Exterminate all rational thought
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Snipe Watson wrote:

Bart has touched on something there mentioning players we can`t replace namely Mike Ross, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton and to a lesser extent, Rob Kearney.
The ideal scenario for us to have half a chance at this World Cup was to arrive at this stage having qualified from the pool with no injuries.
Joe would have bitten your hand off for that and I think most of us realise that a fully fit squad at this stage would be the only real chance we would have.

Up till now the side haven't pulled up trees but the squad has been managed well with no one exactly flogged or battle weary at this stage, compared to say the Welsh who were out on their feet v Fiji.
We have put ourselves in the perfect position to have a tilt at this tournament and the team now can realise everything is on the line in every game from now on and that the approach will be different.

We can kid ourselves that the Italian game was where the tournament started for us but I think we all know it starts now.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Okay then,

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote: Murrays issues may stem from his backrow being in Italian pockets
Fair comment Russ.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote: Murrays issues may stem from his backrow being in Italian pockets
Fair comment Russ.
1st of the season
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:
Up till now the side haven't pulled up trees but the squad has been managed well
Not sure I'd agree with you entirely, 7 centre partnerships in 7 games, partially through injury of course, is a concern. Having put so much effort into his "manufactured partnership" of Henshaw & Payne, if it isn;t available, the alternatives of either Sunday's pair or throwing Fitzchube into the mix scares me rotten against what I assume will be Bastareaud & Fofana The GLV (the Greatest Living Vulcan).

Where it is down to management is in seemingly being unsure about the centres he has selected, with Cave, as we know now, fully excluded having not been played in the situations in which was selected for in Fibber's own words/lies.

If you are happy with things so far, good luck to you.