Ulster v Dragons - Pro12 G13 - Fri 5th Feb 19:35

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Dragons - Pro12 G13 - Fri 5th Feb 19:35

Post by Setanta »

I am fervently hoping for once that 'Wales Online' have it right for once, :cheers: as they are tipping a McCloskey and Henshaw centre pairing with Payne at full-back. :cheers:
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Setanta wrote:I am fervently hoping for once that 'Wales Online' have it right for once, :cheers: as they are tipping a McCloskey and Henshaw centre pairing with Payne at full-back. :cheers:
Wouldn't surprise me at all. I thought if Payne had been starting in the centre, he would have got game time at 13 on Saturday.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Setanta wrote:I am fervently hoping for once that 'Wales Online' have it right for once, :cheers: as they are tipping a McCloskey and Henshaw centre pairing with Payne at full-back. :cheers:
Wouldn't surprise me at all. I thought if Payne had been starting in the centre, he would have got game time at 13 on Saturday.
I thought he was released to get game time. Then Luke Fitzuseless got himself gone and died again, and was pulled back in to the fold

Danger Rab may start on the wing
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Thelaw wrote:Does no one else think that IHumph should be dropped to the bench? After watching the game again Ulster only started to play, and more importantly score tries when he went off. I don't have to rehash his weakness in the tackle- its well observed, as is its knock on effect on the rest of the team, covering for it. But it was very obvious on Saturday that his distribution, passes and kicks were below any reasonable standard. This combined with his very poor decision making, and he has gone to a complete liability.

For those who were lamenting our goal kicking without him....have we forgotten about St Ruan? He should be back for this week fingers crossed, and with the return of Nick hopefully we will have a much improved team, the doubt being no Red or Van
Agree with the above except for the part in red - he should be dropped to the Ulster A Team bench and never start for Ulster again :cheers:

Ruan can kick and everyone else in the backs can be given an intensive goal kicking course - that should be more than enough cover.

As has been said by others it not just is own play but the serious negative effect he has on team moral which really concerns me - perhaps he could be transferred with "immediate effect" like big Lew :salut: - surely someone would take him :duck:

IHump - the Jonah of Rugby >crazy1
Finished
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

There is no way Joseph drops Robert from full back.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

thecrouch wrote:There is no way Joseph drops Robert from full back.
Of course not

He's reached leinstertainment status. Like Munter liginds until Kiddinya they are undropable
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If Ruan is back then Stu to 10 is a no brainer. If Andrew starts and Franco is rested then there maybe question marks over the lineout. Any chance of Touhy being ready? The inspector may start or else Ross in the back row, with Diack in the row. Straight shoot out between Browne and Ross. I would fully expect to have Luke back. A chance for some nippers on the bench.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

If we play any of the following

Cross
Browne

We lose
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:If we play any of the following

Cross
Browne

We lose
Diack in the row. Roger, Reidy, Nick=win?

Dow on the bench.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Cross
Browne

We lose
What about Barbara :duck:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cross
Browne

We lose
The Inspector did OK when he came on in Italy.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:

Cross
Browne

We lose
What about Barbara :duck:
Don't even chat to me bruv
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Once a Knight wrote:
Nightsoil wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
firebell53 wrote:Diack,Williams back. Ruan back from holiday, McCall on bench, still no Henry and Franco rested. Might well see Andrew start with J Murphy on the bench!!!
Virus surely? :lol:

Henry will be a few weeks yet. Franco is overdue his rest.

I think you've made a fair call. Sadly for us, Ulster have the two best IQ'd hookers in Ireland at the moment.
I am very fervently hoping that Schmidt has his blue/conservative/whatever glasses on when it comes to Herring. He absolutely deserves to be playing for Ireland, but I'm lacking the optimism today to see starting John Andrew as a good thing.
Why?

I like anything I've seen from Andrew. We bemoan strength in depth and then go weak kneed about playing a player who can now only improve if he gets game time.

It's the great frustration about working with young players. You have to have the fortitude to step back and watch them make mistakes and be inconsistent.

Face facts. In any fair world Herring is the second best Hooker in Ireland on current form.
Sure it's never a fair world.

Two reasons.

The first is while I know youngsters need to play and want youngsters to play, I would rather Andrew had a less steep advancement. He's yet to even play a patch of 20 minutes for us. I'd be a lot happier if he'd got a couple of a decent 25-30 minute spells in. That's a fall we've been heading to for a while, to be fair - he's been third choice hooker for two seasons now but we've refused to give him much of anything and now it's all (potentially) come at once. Hopefully he gets some decent time this 6N come what may, it makes me nervous to have a player so inexperienced so high up the depth charts.

The second is I just don't want to lose Herring. His play and leadership would be major points of difference for us over the 6N if we kept him. One of those quality players who shines all the brighter when all the other big boys are away.

Being of more optimistic mind today, I'd say it'd be fantastic all round if Herring was playing for Ireland as long as we keep winning, but not if we don't.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We need to use Herring more when Best is available and use Andrew more when Best or Herring are unavailable. I think Andrew is a very exciting prospect and he needs to be given some game time.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Defo brother Snipe, hooker is an area where we are blessed with riches.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"