The Henderson Conundrum....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Henderson Conundrum....

Post by Russ »

I'm happy to compare Henderson to Itoje and realise Hendo needs to kick on

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Of course the big issue with Hendy is that he is actually about a five & a half, to lean to be a powerhouse second row, more suited to six but square pegs must be bashed into round holes. What he will be is effective but perhaps just not brilliant as a second row. Extremely valuable though.

Just one man's opinion.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Id like to see him taking the ball at a bit more pace and using his power to get on the outside shoulder a bit more. Too often he tries to pirouette out of tackles that good defences are reading. Of course having 7 colleagues that provide fromt foot ball helps and i expect to see him thrive when he gets back into a Marcell powered pack.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

It seems to me that Hendo has always been considered a 2nd row by the National coaches
However, due to the shortcomings at UR, he has been played in the back row.
Ulster, having been allowed to sign a 2nd SA back row, will from now on be expected to play him at lock
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

rumncoke wrote:To many spectators look at a young player and read far to much into his potential . The fact is there really is not a potential to grow . What players gain is experience when to use their skills and assets and how to maximise there impact .

Henderson has been played as a 6 when I expect most of his experience at school was second row and thus instead of using the experience he had he has had to acquire the experience of playing 6 and to honest Henderson is not a breakdown ball winner or slower nor does he clear rucks in the manner of Ferris.

Thus in my opinion Henderson is being played out of position due to the availability of second rows and the lack of backrow ball carriers.

And I'm not that sure that Itoje is a 6 for exactly the same reasons but he again is being played that position because of existance of second row alternatives and the English style of rugby ( BIG PACK - Backs kick and chase and only start to pass the ball inside the opposition 22 )weight is the name of the game in the pack not speed .
He played no 8 at school. Plus he's 25, school was 7 years ago.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Dave wrote:
rumncoke wrote:To many spectators look at a young player and read far to much into his potential . The fact is there really is not a potential to grow . What players gain is experience when to use their skills and assets and how to maximise there impact .

Henderson has been played as a 6 when I expect most of his experience at school was second row and thus instead of using the experience he had he has had to acquire the experience of playing 6 and to honest Henderson is not a breakdown ball winner or slower nor does he clear rucks in the manner of Ferris.

Thus in my opinion Henderson is being played out of position due to the availability of second rows and the lack of backrow ball carriers.

And I'm not that sure that Itoje is a 6 for exactly the same reasons but he again is being played that position because of existance of second row alternatives and the English style of rugby ( BIG PACK - Backs kick and chase and only start to pass the ball inside the opposition 22 )weight is the name of the game in the pack not speed .
You realise you're conversing with a man who still bases all of his knowledge of space on a rugby field on that one time in the Jurassic Age when him and his mates successfully executed a 7-on-3 with a (dry) brick on the then-untarmacked Antrim Road (the "3" being a wheelie bin, a tumbleweed and a dog dryhumping the bin with all it fecking had) . . . Time is if no concern to this man . . .
It's the hope that kills you.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Let's say Henderson started playing at 11 and was playing rugby at school for 7 years this his earlier school experience is same as his post game experience .

The point was if you change positions prior experience may not be relevant .

I can see Henderson being played as an 8 at school unfortunately professional 8 s tend to heavier than Henderson being used to anchor the set piece .

And while many may see little difference between back row positions there are differences which are important and help the back row to function as a unit rather than as individuals

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

rumncoke wrote:Let's say Henderson started playing at 11 and was playing rugby at school for 7 years this his earlier school experience is same as his post game experience .

I can see Henderson being played as an 8 at school unfortunately professional 8 s tend to heavier than Henderson being used to anchor the set piece .

And while many may see little difference between back row positions there are differences which are important and help the back row to function as a unit rather than as individuals

Playing at school level is hardly comparable to professional level.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Dave wrote:

You realise you're conversing with a man who still bases all of his knowledge of space on a rugby field on that one time in the Jurassic Age when him and his mates successfully executed a 7-on-3 with a (dry) brick on the then-untarmacked Antrim Road (the "3" being a wheelie bin, a tumbleweed and a dog dryhumping the bin with all it fecking had) . . . Time is if no concern to this man . . .
I've just spat water all over my work laptop. It's fecked

5 Guffaws!

Guffaw
Guffaw
Guffaw
Guffaw
Guffaw

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Let's say Henderson started playing at 11 and was playing rugby at school for 7 years this his earlier school experience is same as his post game experience .

Playing at school level is hardly comparable to professional level.
Tell that to Blow In

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Look chaps, this is simple. Ireland is well stocked with back row operators none of whom can play in the second row except for Hendy. Therefore in the interests of getting the best athletes on the field, Hendy plays second row.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:Look chaps, this is simple. Ireland is well stocked with back row operators none of whom can play in the second row except for Hendy. Therefore in the interests of getting the best athletes on the field, Hendy plays second row.
Maybe Devon will throw some lineouts to him

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Look chaps, this is simple. Ireland is well stocked with back row operators none of whom can play in the second row except for Hendy. Therefore in the interests of getting the best athletes on the field, Hendy plays second row.

True fact that, and so simply put. :thumleft: Mind you I still think of him as a bit scrawny for a 2nd row.

Ireland are in a bad way for second rows, Next season could start the Treaders for Ireland campaign on Bakebook.

See Snipe, you can occasionally be more use than a blind man's eye sockets. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

True fact that, and so simply put. :thumleft: Mind you I still think of him as a bit scrawny for a 2nd row.

Ireland are in a bad way for second rows, Next season could start the Treaders for Ireland campaign on Bakebook.

See Snipe, you can occasionally be more use than a blind man's eye sockets. :lol: :lol: :lol:
gwan away outerit you'll goat. I'm a font of wisdom and you know it.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I'd say the only way Nucifecker allowed us to get another SA back rower was because it was on the condition that Hendo would play in the second row.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten