6 Nations 2023

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by jean valjean »

tigerburnie wrote:To be honest Borthwick was here for just a short time, I'm not sure what he'll do with England, what worked with Tigers last year ain't going to work for internationals a year later is it?
Tiger, What is your take on sale? They have gone under the radar a bit over here but seem to be building something nicely. Do u see them as genuine title contenders?
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

They are always tough at home on a friday night, few win there, 2018 last time we won there, they are an abrasive side who on their day can beat anyone, but prone to brain farts(like many of a side). I don't think they are good enough to win anything yet, but if they get George Ford fit, his game management could turn them into a threat, Tigers seem to be missing him just now more than Genge, which I thought would be the other way round.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Farrell gets to play 6n despite ban. :lol: :lol: Did we really expect anything else. The game of rugby has become a farce, with atrocious refereeing and even worse “judging panels”.
These same people who are ruining the game, will be crying into their beer when people walk away from the game.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

StandUp wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:07 pm Farrell gets to play 6n despite ban. :lol: :lol: Did we really expect anything else. The game of rugby has become a farce, with atrocious refereeing and even worse “judging panels”.
These same people who are ruining the game, will be crying into their beer when people walk away from the game.
6 week ban down to 4 despite having previous and then another week off for tackle school. Part of the mitigation was good behaviour at the hearing despite disputing the red card verdict of the panel.

I remember in the past John Afoa got an extra week added to a ban for not accepting the panel's verdict.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Last 2 Leinster players up for disciplinary issues that I can remember were Healy (red card) and Porter ( a citing). Both got off.
I can't remember any Ulster player escaping without a ban. Warwick in particular has had 2 very ridiculous bans and Luke Marshall got a ban for an offence that still mystifies me.
Different rules for different clubs.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I think we all agree, the saddest thing is that there's no surprise about this decision.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Netflix filming a series during the 6Ns for release next year. I imagine something like they do with F1.

Bet they're unhappy about Eddie Jones going. (or maybe they will sign him up to provide his insight)
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Healy straight in for the Jocks.
Godots bedpan
Novice

Post by Godots bedpan »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:27 pm Healy straight in for the Jocks.
Says a lot about the state of Scottish Rugby. Good player but that's only because of injuries, not shown the form to merit it as he hasn't been playing much. He was the 10 for a lot of the early season games Munster lost. He'll get 20 minutes against Italy and they'll lock him in. Hope it works out for him but in 2 years time if he's not cutting it up for Scotland he wont have many options other than a move to France. Big gamble. Not sure he thought the long term implications of what he was doing through. If he doesn't blossom into an international 10 he will be out on his Brennan in 2 years and Edinburgh will try someone else. Not good enough IMO for a NIQ spot back in Munster. Doubt any other province would sign someone who publicly stated he only ever wants to play for Munster in Ireland.

He needs to start learning French as a back up plan.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Godots bedpan wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:49 am
justinr73 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:27 pm Healy straight in for the Jocks.
Says a lot about the state of Scottish Rugby. Good player but that's only because of injuries, not shown the form to merit it as he hasn't been playing much. He was the 10 for a lot of the early season games Munster lost. He'll get 20 minutes against Italy and they'll lock him in. Hope it works out for him but in 2 years time if he's not cutting it up for Scotland he wont have many options other than a move to France. Big gamble. Not sure he thought the long term implications of what he was doing through. If he doesn't blossom into an international 10 he will be out on his Brennan in 2 years and Edinburgh will try someone else. Not good enough IMO for a NIQ spot back in Munster. Doubt any other province would sign someone who publicly stated he only ever wants to play for Munster in Ireland.

He needs to start learning French as a back up plan.
Some now ex Ulster players went this Scottish route and didn't really work for them - Michael Allen, Adam McBurney.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ffs even the scotch have an anti ulster bias.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

No Tredders or Timoney.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:26 am No Tredders or Timoney.
Or Lowry.

Stockdale, McCloskey, Henderson, Herring & TOT - the Ulster 5. A couple of those guys bit lucky to get selected based on recent form.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ireland Squad, 2023 Guinness Six Nations:

Backs (17):

Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 41 caps
Ross Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 14 caps
Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 7 caps
Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution) 2 caps
Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 98 caps
Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 23 caps
Mack Hansen (Connacht) 8 caps
Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 25 caps
Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Marys College) 30 caps
James Lowe (Leinster) 15 caps
Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 9 caps
Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 100 caps
Jimmy O’Brien (Leinster/Naas) 3 caps
Jamie Osborne (Leinster/Naas) *
Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 47 caps
Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College)(captain) 109 caps
Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 35 caps

Forwards (20):

Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 8 caps
Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 27 caps
Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 36 caps
Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 33 caps
Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) 2 caps
Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 23 caps
Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 63 caps
Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 121 caps
Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 68 caps
Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 31 caps
Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 18 caps
Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 48 caps
Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin University) 1 cap
Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 89 caps
Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 4 caps
Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps
Cian Prendergast (Connacht/Corinthians) 1 cap
James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps
Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 13 caps
Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 45 cap
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Surprised to see stockdale in there, but pleased for him. He has been getting a kicking for recent performances (justifiably) but I feel like he will turn it round if he gets that confidence back. Maybe being included in this squad will help him.