Ulster Signings

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Ulster Signings

Post by Dharper »

Wasn’t butterworth from ail? Clive Ross did a job of sorts. Izzy is a gamble worth taking, clearly physical enough.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:42 pm The question I would like to know is who is responsible for signing these players and why are they getting the majority of them wrong.

Is it Bryn? McFarland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s one of the questions the IRFU should be asking.
There has to be some accountability. After all, UR is a business.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dharper wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:44 pm Wasn’t butterworth from ail? Clive Ross did a job of sorts. Izzy is a gamble worth taking, clearly physical enough.
Clive Ross was worse than Jones.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:42 pm The question I would like to know is who is responsible for signing these players and why are they getting the majority of them wrong.

Is it Bryn? McFarland?

Both.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

StandUp wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:45 pm
Dharper wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:44 pm Wasn’t butterworth from ail? Clive Ross did a job of sorts. Izzy is a gamble worth taking, clearly physical enough.
Clive Ross was worse than Jones.
Didn’t Ross come from Leinster?
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Thought he was an ail signing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:Two of successes have spent more time injured than fit.
Marcell, Addison and Moore have all spent long periods out injured but it wouldn’t sit with me having them in any other group.

True. When you think what could be if these guys hadn't suffered multiple serious injuries.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:02 pm
kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:Two of successes have spent more time injured than fit.
Marcell, Addison and Moore have all spent long periods out injured but it wouldn’t sit with me having them in any other group.

True. When you think what could be if these guys hadn't suffered multiple serious injuries.
And Afoa wasn’t a lying b@stard, and Ruan hadn’t been shafted, and Gibbes wasn’t a sh1tebag, and, and, and……
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

I personally wouldn’t have Vermeulen in as a success. I’d have him in the decent category, and even then borderline.. And in fairness to Nagle and Kearney, I think they actually did well for us, short-term, I’d be inclined to class them as decent.

However you can argue the toss about one player or another, but this is a very, very good question - in the Irish system, where your hands are tied to a large extent when it comes to signing NIQs it means that it’s very important to consistently sign good ‘value-adding’ ones, and our record doesn’t stand up well..
..one more thing
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

We have a hustory of tom kite signings. Its our shtick

Brad Free
Henry Head
The Pfist
Andy Kershaw
Sam Harding
Tim Boys
Grant Webb
Mike Maguire
Clinton Schiftoske
Rowan Frost
Tia Tamarua
The Hond
Paul Emerick

And many more..

We have form for this
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

nonplussed wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:13 pm We have a hustory of tom kite signings. Its our shtick

Brad Free
Henry Head
The Pfist
Andy Kershaw
Sam Harding
Tim Boys
Grant Webb
Mike Maguire
Clinton Schiftoske
Rowan Frost
Tia Tamarua
The Hond
Paul Emerick

And many more..

We have form for this
And yet Bryn is still earning with three hands……
Where is the accountability?
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

The other big issue that this question raises is that Ulster are so dependent on quality signings because our local production line is so patchy. It’s not awful, because we’ve produced some good players in the last few years, but it’s not great - eg Doak is almost literally the first good SH we’ve produced since his dad, and as mentioned on another thread, Jacko the only decent 10 since Humph (see also tighthead prop and back row for similar slim pickings in the last few years..)

Obviously we aren’t Leinster with their school system etc, but why aren’t we producing even 50% of the talent they are?? Why do we always seem to provide disproportionately small numbers in Irish age grade squads? Why are our clubs so crap? Is anyone trying to do anything about all this?? Petrie? Bryn? Who tf is responsible?? Does anyone have a plan, other than spinning on Twitter about how things aren’t our fault??
..one more thing
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Columbo wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:57 pm The other big issue that this question raises is that Ulster are so dependent on quality signings because our local production line is so patchy. It’s not awful, because we’ve produced some good players in the last few years, but it’s not great - eg Doak is almost literally the first good SH we’ve produced since his dad, and as mentioned on another thread, Jacko the only decent 10 since Humph (see also tighthead prop and back row for similar slim pickings in the last few years..)

Obviously we aren’t Leinster with their school system etc, but why aren’t we producing even 50% of the talent they are?? Why do we always seem to provide disproportionately small numbers in Irish age grade squads? Why are our clubs so crap? Is anyone trying to do anything about all this?? Petrie? Bryn? Who tf is responsible?? Does anyone have a plan, other than spinning on Twitter about how things aren’t our fault??
All excellent points.
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:07 pm Not sure there has been a thread on this.

Recruitment wise over the last 5-6 years.

Who has been a successful signing?

*Success*

Marcel Coetzee
John Cooney
Marty Moore
Will Addison (I won’t hear that he hasn’t been a success)
Rory Sutherland (very short term but hard not to put him here)
Duane Vermeulan considering the circumstances (not the player of a few years ago)

*Decent*

Henry Speight
Jordi Murphy
Bradley Roberts
Alby Mathewson
Billy Burns

*Miss*

Sam Carter
Frank Bradshaw Ryan
Ian Madigan
Declan Moore
Gareth Milasinovich
Jeffery Toomaga Allen
Jack McGrath
David O’Connor
Bill Johnston
Ian Nagle
Peter Browne
Jean Deysel
Alan Bennie
Mick Kearney

*Jury is out*

Jake Flannery
Michael McDonald
Sean Reffell

*Had to be included in the list*

Leone Nakarawa
Arno Botha

The recruitment at Ulster in my view has been poor for a long time.

While he’s had better high points than Carter I’m not sure I’d agree that Murphy is decent when compared with Carter as a miss if you look at his time here as a whole I.e. over the course of his time here is Murphy really better than a miss? He left Leinster as a starting 8 (admittedly due injury) in a Champions Cup final but hasn’t been close to an Ireland squad since moving here.

Edit - just checked and he was capped in his first season and called up for the RWC in 2019 but that highlights his regression at Ulster since.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:40 pm The worry for me is that only Moore is going to be here next year from the success group.

Just can’t see Cooney staying and don’t know what will happen with Addison.

Kitschoff is a cracking signing. I just hope there are a few more top level ones.

We should be trying to keep Sutherland
Exterminate all rational thought