World cup squad

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

promenader 2
Initiate

Re: World cup squad

Post by promenader 2 »

promenader 2 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:24 pm Ulster boys will also lose out because their rivals for places will get the chance to press their claims in big semi final and finals games in next few weeks.
Excuse me quoting my own post, but after watching Leinster v Munster on Saturday and seeing Ryan Baird's disallowed try, I found myself thinking: Hendy has nowhere near that kind of pace. Unfortunately, Andy Farrell was probably watching and thinking the same thing.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

promenader 2 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:30 am
promenader 2 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:24 pm Ulster boys will also lose out because their rivals for places will get the chance to press their claims in big semi final and finals games in next few weeks.
Excuse me quoting my own post, but after watching Leinster v Munster on Saturday and seeing Ryan Baird's disallowed try, I found myself thinking: Hendy has nowhere near that kind of pace. Unfortunately, Andy Farrell was probably watching and thinking the same thing.
Henderson is quick enough, he certainly doesn’t lack pace for a tight 5 forward. He also plays 2nd row, not winger.
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

It does no harm for a second row to have serious pace these days. Baird looks the job to me - anyone remember S African second row Frik du Preez ? He was some player and very fast.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Dharper wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:27 am
UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:07 pm
Would agree with this, and also say too bloody right!

Wouldn't trust any Ulster player in a high pressure knock out World Cup game. I take no enjoyment in saying that either.
100% this.

I genuinely think SMcC has just missed out after Fridays game, a fairly ineffective performance against a big rival.
I think ire will take a back 5, not 6, with an extra forward. Lowe Keenan Hansen obrien….that leaves 1. Obrien covers fb and wing and is left footed as is lowe. This May for balance favour a right wing option, like larmour or Balacoune-earls looks done.
Stockdale may just make it by the skin of his teeth but it’d be a trust rather than form pick by Farrell.

As an aside I see Stewart won the league “next gen” league player award….I hope his mindset is “this gen” player…if herring makes the WC, if Stewart I’d be making sure he never gets that UR shirt back. Time for the younger players to push through and take the shirts next season, Sheridan especially too, there is a definite space in the 2nd row even if Henderson re signs.
Stockdale hasn't played for Ireland since 2021.

The only way he's going to the world cup is if there are a ton of injuries.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

promenader 2 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:30 am
Hendo used to before he moved permanently into the row.
Anyone remember him tracking down Earls around 2013 at Ravers in a straight chase for a kick over the top into Ulster's 5m line? Injuries and age means he's not that player anymore sadly :scratch:
Exterminate all rational thought
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

I think Hendo playing at his best would potentially start, though the competition for the position is obviously very strong. It's been a while since that's been the case though, largely as a result of perpetual injury. He'd need a run of games to find form and stake a claim and probably isn't going to get it. He might still make the bench though, when he started out playing six he was also an incredibly dynamic carrier, has potentially lost a touch of pace as he's bulked up for the row over the years and think he has a clear edge in power and work in the tight over Baird.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I am pretty sure there is no club rugby between now and the RWC.

The only fixtures available will be the warm up games, and I would imagine that Ireland will use these games to get minutes into the legs of the travelling squad, since most of the lads will have spent a few months on beaches. I don't think these games will count much in terms of selection.

Hendo will travel but he's in a fight with Baird for that bench spot. If you need a 2nd row to come on in the 10th minute due to injury, then Hendo is who you want as he offers much more grunt. On the other hand if you're looking for a 60th minute impact sub then Baird is your man.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I think the big question is whether beirne gets to start at 6 or in the row. Personally I think POM, given age experience is suited for a bench spot to cover 6/7 with beirne, VDF and Doris in the back row. Harsh on conan but he will get starting game time at 8 against the weaker teams.

Ryan, hendo, beirne, VDF, Doris over
Ryan, beirne, POM, VDF, Doris for me.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

With two of our locks being able to cover 6, and assuming we are taking 10x back 5 forwards, I'd go for:

Locks:
Ryan
Hendy

Backrow:
POM
VDF
Doris
Conan
Penny (my shout as a bolter)

Utility:
Beirne
Baird

Ryan and Berine start, Baird on the bench.
POM, VDF and Doris start, Conan on the bench.

Hendy and Penny to get game time against the crap teams and slot in when injuries inevitably occur.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

What is the stand down / call up notice period for an injury?

If a player suffered a concussion in game one, could he be withdrawn through injury, another player called up, only for concussed player to have recovered and brought back in for the semi final should someone else then get injured? Or is it a case once you withdraw you cannot return?

There's no real logistical headache to travel to France like there would have been to the previous World Cup in Japan.
Technically you could have a backup player there within hours.

I wouldn't put it past Farrell having 12-16 reservists training full time in Ireland, with modern technology your extended squad could be sitting in on team meetings, doing external video analysis, doing the same training sessions etc.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:What is the stand down / call up notice period for an injury?

If a player suffered a concussion in game one, could he be withdrawn through injury, another player called up, only for concussed player to have recovered and brought back in for the semi final should someone else then get injured? Or is it a case once you withdraw you cannot return?

There's no real logistical headache to travel to France like there would have been to the previous World Cup in Japan.

I wouldn't put it past Farrell having 12-16 reservists training full time in Ireland, with modern technology your extended squad could be sitting in on team meetings, doing external video analysis, doing the same training sessions etc.
If they can stand up and sit down, I think they are good to go.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:What is the stand down / call up notice period for an injury?

If they can stand up and sit down, I think they are good to go.
Can you have a named squad of 33 plus another 7-8 who are there training but can't play the games unless someone is withdrawn?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Irony would be John McKee jumping the queue over Tom Stewart......
Exterminate all rational thought
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Frankly if we were playing France or South Africa, and he is injury free, Hendy has to start. Ireland have a weakness in the scrum, and I'm not sure there is a better Irish scrummaging 2nd row than Hendy.