Petries Answering Questions

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Petries Answering Questions

Post by kingofthehill »

RuPi wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:56 am Why was McFarland given such a long deal (or even a deal at all) when you are fully aware of the players not liking/rating him?

Why is McFarland allowed to be a control freak within every area of the organisation?

Why aren’t journalists allowed free reign when asking questions or writing articles?

Anyway it’s pointless because every question will be set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nail on the head, why bother? This is why it isn’t a live forum, cheery pick the questions, pre prepare the answers and therefore he controls the narrative around everything.
I would also ask Petrie ‘do you think replying to fans on Twitter is good for your brand?’

Laughable he thinks it’s a good idea. He is only interested in himself and his next move.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

kingofthehill wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:56 am Why was McFarland given such a long deal (or even a deal at all) when you are fully aware of the players not liking/rating him?
I appreciate you know more about what's going on behind closed doors than myself, but given the improvement over the course of his tenure I would have thought that the general consensus was that he had done a good job? I've heard Payne get a lot of the credit too, but surely Dan must have done some good when he came in? Scotland seemed upset to lose him too.

Other than murmurings I've heard third hand on here an article in one of the world's less reputable papers, the main black mark against his name for me is applying for the Tigers job. Prior to this season my impression would have been nothing but positive, but I don't want a coach who's half checked out.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

kingofthehill wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:22 pm
RuPi wrote:

Why is McFarland allowed to be a control freak within every area of the organisation?

Why aren’t journalists allowed free reign when asking questions or writing articles?

Nail on the head, why bother? This is why it isn’t a live forum, cheery pick the questions, pre prepare the answers and therefore he controls the narrative around everything.
I would also ask Petrie ‘do you think replying to fans on Twitter is good for your brand?’

Laughable he thinks it’s a good idea. He is only interested in himself and his next move.

That sure isn't going to help develop a great culture if both Petrie and McFarland are thinking about their future away from Ulster. The sooner both are gone the better.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

One thing I'd like to ask about is why we're going for a plastic pitch. Who is the driving force behind it and why we didn't go for one of the hybrid ones like Munster.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

MightyRearranger wrote:One thing I'd like to ask about is why we're going for a plastic pitch. Who is the driving force behind it and why we didn't go for one of the hybrid ones like Munster.
It’s the way most club sides are going. Financial saving and a good surface regardless of weather. Higher tempo style of rugby played on plastic pitches.

To me it’s a no brainer.

MightyRearranger
Warrior

Continuing Shane Logans push to be more and more like Saracens... I'm probably just turning into a dinosaur but not sure I like them. Was also watching a video from Gloucester Rugby about theirs and the groundsman was saying that they're about the same amount of work, just that the jobs are different, but maybe that was just him looking to keep his job...

Would honestly be interested to know what the popular opinion was as they certainly do tend to promote a quicker game.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

MightyRearranger wrote:Continuing Shane Logans push to be more and more like Saracens... I'm probably just turning into a dinosaur but not sure I like them. Was also watching a video from Gloucester Rugby about theirs and the groundsman was saying that they're about the same amount of work, just that the jobs are different, but maybe that was just him looking to keep his job...

Would honestly be interested to know what the popular opinion was as they certainly do tend to promote a quicker game.
I have never seen the pitch at ravenhill looking as bad. Pitches at some of the rugby schools are in much better condition.

I do prefer a grass pitch but given a choice between a plastic pitch and the current ravenhill grass pitch there is only one winner.

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

If the rumours are true that the groundstaff were let go, it is likely the plastic pitch comes with an install and maintain contract which is Likely to be much cheaper than paying for staff and all the hassle that comes with that.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

RuPi wrote:

Seems to be the Ulster way. We sign coaches/staff and they try and use us as a stepping stone.

The last head coach who cared deeply about Ulster rugby and who’s passion for us was genuine, got the sack!!Brian McLaughlin.

McCall was another talented Ulster head coach who quickly got the boot. We happily brad pitt on our own. I’d love either of those men to take the head coach role again.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Big-al wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:19 pm
RuPi wrote:

Seems to be the Ulster way. We sign coaches/staff and they try and use us as a stepping stone.

The last head coach who cared deeply about Ulster rugby and who’s passion for us was genuine, got the sack!!Brian McLaughlin.

McCall was another talented Ulster head coach who quickly got the boot. We happily brad pitt on our own. I’d love either of those men to take the head coach role again.
The situation when McCall was sacked was far worse in terms of results and dare I say it, player morale. It was his first job and probably still too close to certain players whom he had played with. He has gone on to greater things as a result of experiences gained and of course is too good for the job now, but the idea that ulster should have stuck with him then is wrong. Probably the worst spiral in terms of results that season.

As for McGlock, the decision to sack him was taken when Ulster were deep in the Brad Pitt, until Afoa and Ruan saved Ulster. Unlike mccall, his coaching cv since then is hardly impressive and I know at least one school which wasted money on him.

The fact that Anscome dud as well as him says a lot about the quality of players Ulster had and how a decent coach would have won something. I reckon even Dan would have won something with those players
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Is it on TV?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Are we selling our trophy cabinet on Ebay or Done Deal?
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

kingofthehill wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:39 pm
MightyRearranger wrote:One thing I'd like to ask about is why we're going for a plastic pitch. Who is the driving force behind it and why we didn't go for one of the hybrid ones like Munster.
It’s the way most club sides are going. Financial saving and a good surface regardless of weather. Higher tempo style of rugby played on plastic pitches.

To me it’s a no brainer.

I was under the impression plastic led to more injuries but the chat about Ulster's plans sent me off to look more closely and what data I found seemed to show no increase in risk with the plastic and possibly even safer in some respects. I have gone from a sceptic to agnostic on the plan.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

To me it’s a no brainer.

Koth. … my understanding is that both Thomond and the Sportsgrounds as well as the Avia are all hybrid pitches making this the only full 3G for the IRFU… also the rubber crumb infill required for it has now been banned in the EU meaning they will have to change it anyhow … also re last point UR knew this ban was coming and indeed that it is now in place but they have been sitting on this proposal for best part of last year…
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cockatrice wrote:

To me it’s a no brainer.

Koth. … my understanding is that both Thomond and the Sportsgrounds as well as the Avia are all hybrid pitches making this the only full 3G for the IRFU… also the rubber crumb infill required for it has now been banned in the EU meaning they will have to change it anyhow …
You have looked into this more than me.

My only point is…..the ravenhill grass pitch is beyond dire, plastic pitch will be better and should produce quicker more enjoyable rugby.

Couldn’t tell you the difference between hybrid and 3G etc