Thoughts from the unwashed....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

I'm not going to write the side off on the basis of one match. And I don't apologise for trying to highlight some positives from the first run-out of the season.

As I pointed out earlier and as Gaz has also mentioned in the first-half we more than held our own - in fact dominated possession up front, although again as I posted previously, and many others have also commented on, we never seriously threatened to score tries.

I do share concerns that a game against Rotherham next week, with all respect to them, will not leave our team in proper shape for the game against the Blues - especially as they will have had a competitive game under their belts in the first weekend of the CL. Once the fixture list was announced, MR should have arranged another friendly - although obviously the CL and GP start that weekend, making that a bit more difficult.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

With Hump declaring his retirement at the end of the year do Ulster persist with giving Wallace as much game time in the OH position as possible or just let Hump see out his time?

Either way Wallace has to come through this year or be replaced.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Paddy hesitates too long before putting boot to ball, even a dozy clown like me can read what he is about to do :roll: Time he either shaped up or shipped out :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Paddy has to be replaced simple as, nobody can say he hasn't been given his chances. He hasn't taken any of them. Friday was a perfect chance and he was awful. Where was Humph's retirement announced? It is no surprise but he has to be picked instead of keep him for big games and give PW gametime because I don't think it will improve him any, it will just maybe show alot of supporters he can't cut it.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Was he not given a 4 year contract last year suggesting that someone seen him as a long term option. Yet one thing that I picked up from the AGM last year was clearly more than a little thought had been given to the idea of shipping him out to Leinster or Connaght. The two appear at conflict with eachother.

I would love to know why the management have so little faith in Steenson I confess to not having seen him other than on TV during the JWC
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

He can't be that bad a player if he was in the U21 squad for 2 years and top scorer at the world cup 2 years on the bounce. He played Humph JR off the park at Deramore apparently last year.

I would rather see Paddy go to Leinster his ego would fit in well with BOD etc. I like Connacht and TBH he wouldn't make their team. I just hope he has a cushion because once McCall goes he could spend the rest of his contract on the bench.
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

Freddie I think it unfair to say people are judging Ulster on one game but equally it is unfair not draw a few conclusions after one game because there is only one left before competitive rugby. The number of players coming forward to say how great training's been and the that they were trying out new things during Friday's match leads one to the uncomfortable conclusion that the management don't trust the fans to realise this.

For the sceptical there is a strong sense of deja vu. Harrison in the sports section of the paramilitary times this morning explains post match that they were 'not concentrating on the result but rather the method we went about our business'. If that is the case they should refund the fans money because they failed to acheive any kind of business method in the back play and lost it completely in the forwards at half time whilst defensively they were all at sea after two phases. Worse it all sounds like last year except that McCall has a year's coaching at the business end of things to stop these sort of 'it's only a friendly' type excuses appearing again this season.

Harrison says they had 3 or 4 chances but finishing let them down, presumbably he means they visited Irish's 22 3 or 4 times because I only remember one clear cut chance and that was Bowe's.

Reference Wallace, he looks like someone playing out his career safe in the knowledge he has a four year contract under his belt and little else to worry about. He goes through the motions and what is strange about his playing development is that you would have thought having a player like humphreys around might have rubbed off on him in terms of kicking technique for example or how to be quick with the hands when passing. Not a bit the demeanour on Friday is of someone who's under no pressure or else he doesn't care whether he plays or not, perhaps the 4 year contract has that effect on him.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

cjp- watched a young SA winger Habana (played in U21 last WC) get his chance against Australia and seemingly take it in both hands against some very experienced big names.

Yet here he would too young until at least 25-26 and will need to have learnt the game at the ultra competitive breeding ground for future Lions the AIL for at least a couple of more years.

What surprised me from the AGM in March was the absolute assurance that Wallace was Ulster's next OH after Hump. At that time he had done nothing to warrant such confidence indeed many would agree that Larkin is a better OH.

If they were so sure then they must surely stick with him now and give him the chance to back their total belief. No point having him on the bench and bringing him on to replace Bryn for the last 20 minutes of big games.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Don't get me started on the youth Cockatrice, my view of where they are now from that Under 21 RWC is on the home page and you will see Mitchell and Elsom also played in the 2004 U21 RWC, Habana was top scorer there and yet he only made his debut last autumn against England. He can play OC as well and as far as i know has a 100% tries to games ratio. Every country bar ourselves and Scotland throws a player in when there ready. Look at Heaslip up for Under 21 player of the year yet only now does he look like getting a chance at Leinster. These players need given a chance and let them prove whether they are good enough or not. i would be all for picking Ferris, Trimble ETC if they are the form players. Bowe was the only player in The Ireland U21 set up last year with a full contract, which is a joke when compared to the other 6 nations countries.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

We do seem to lag behind not only SH sides but also some closer to home when it comes to younbg players getting a chance. I may be wrong but I think that there are some reasonable young Welsh players coming through heir set-up.

We regularly hear that the future is white and that the academy is a production line of stars so much better than the rets of Ireland and that will see us through.

I think that with the exception of Trimble and Ferris the cupboard isn't as full as we think. Ferris from all accounts will soon leave Wilson way behind in the search for the Irish Nos 8 shirt. Apparently already the fastest player in the Ulster set-up and by all accounts one of the strongest. I suspect we will see him this year sometime so we will all be able to make our own minds up.

Still worries me why there is so much blind faith in Wallace and on another matter a 4 year contract for someone that has yet to establish himself as a provincial player nevermind an international one can led to being in a comfort zone with nothing to prove.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Ferris stands roughly 6 ft 4 and 17 and a bit stone, he is a huge lad. If Wilson wants to keep his Ulster shirt he will have to move to six.Stephen will be an Ireland international by the time he is 24 and I would say the same of Trimble. The academy areproducing good players but the problem is they all have to play AIL one usually and it means that they end up playing 2nd xv rugby instead for an ail 3 or 2 side. It didn't do Tommy any harm playing for Queens for 2 years.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

You are probably right about Ferris cjp, also Wilson does not appear to have improved much since he started with Ulster so is he at his limit now ?
I would be very surprised and disapointed if Trimble is not a regular this season after Fridays effort, also Head is a fit and eager looking player with potential.

There are some photos from Friday at http://www.ulster-rugby-photo.co.uk/UvLI/
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

good photos rooster :D
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

Good man yerself Rooster - great photos. Closest I'll get this season it looks.
Rugby thick and full of Ulster passion
Whats wrong with that then FRU ???
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Getting back to original post before I get told off for leading you pair off topic :roll:
Whats the chances now that Head gets the remaining contract ? he put in a good effort and was keen to get stuck in.
Rory Best