Team v Rotherham

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

now now CT, you're sounding almost as cynical an me..... :lol:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

From today's Belfast Tele
Reece Spee replaces Campbell at scrum-half, with Ballynahinch's livewire scrum-half Paul Marshall set to get a call onto the bench, which will be named later in the week.

Declan Fitzpatrick replaces Best for his first Ulster start while in the second row, the highly promising Ryan Caldwell makes his debut in place of McCullough.

Campbell Feather, appointed captain in Best's absence, switches to No 8 in place of Wilson, with Neil McMillan given his first start since his year-long lay-off with a serious knee injury.

Humphreys and Maggs have recovered from knocks but as they were not released, Paddy Wallace retains the out-half berth with Jonny Bell, another player back from injury, earning a start in the midfield with Andrew Trimble likely to start among the replacements on the bench.

Scott Young replaces Tyrone Howe on the left wing, aiming to put a wretched season of injuries last term behind him.

McCall has rotated the hooker berth, with Rory Best coming in for Paul Shields in what is a youthful front row. Justin Fitzpatrick, who has recovered from an illness, is set to start on the bench and should feature in the second-half.
Looks like the SH bench spot will go to Paul Marshall, anyone know much about him? And we may finally Justin F on from the bench this week.
Paul.

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

pwr- an Irish U21 captain if not mistaken I remember reading his Hinch profile and wondering why it was that someone like this was unable to make any headway with Ulster.

That brings me to another Hinch player good enough for an Irish possibles start at prop but never considered for the Ulster set-up. Why? McCall coached the side did he not.

The problem is we don't know enough about certain things so maybe our judgements are ill informed. I noted that one of the Welsh sides spent a week or so in an army boot camp ours went 'bonding' at St Andrews.

If anything I would have played one or two games there to try out things then possibly the easier friendly before going all out in one big game before the CL started with our starting XV. Now we may lose some players to the Irish Camp and if so they shouldn't maybe have played last week. We know what they can do and we know they may not be available so get on with what we have for now.

Cardiff will tell us where we are
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Marshall went to MCB played against him throughout school career very good player. Absolute mouth piece but has showed up well for Hinch, was on the bench for Ireland U 21's a few times last year but missed RWC squad.

As for the prop Lewis Johnston. He is known to be one of the best technical props in Ireland has played for Ulster once and has played Ireland Under 21. He was called into the trial game by EO'S and performed so well he was going to be selected for Japan tour until they realised if they picked him there would be a huge out cry.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

The question really should be why is it that Ulster do not consider him enough to be given a full-time contract. I accept as a farmer he may have his hands full running a family business but as you say cjp he is considered by many as one of the best props in the land except that is within our own coaching staff albeit it that McCall was coach of the team he played for in Dublin.

This partly comes back to the fact that there seems to be no alternative mechanism for finding talent except via the academy.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Earth Titans line-up.........................

15 Errie Claasens, 14 David Stretlle, 13 Lee Blackett, 12 WP Strauss, 11 Ant Carter, 10 Mike Whitehead, 9 Joe Bedford, 1 Jarleth Carey, 2 Neil Hanna, 3 Attie Pienaar, 4 Rob Walton, 5 Louis McGowan, 6 Hendre Fourie, 7 Neil Cochrane, 8 Scott Donald
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

no offence to them, but there's hardly any household names there.
we have to be looking at racking up a big score. Not only that but doing it in the right way.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

I hope so Freddie ...... but if comments on the MB is anything to go by confidence is not high amongst the supporters.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

If we can't put away this lot reasonably comfortably then there's feck all hope for us in the CL and the Heiny :x
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
rugbymunchkin
Initiate
Location: Between South Belfast and Larne... About ballyclare!

Post by rugbymunchkin »

Or we may experience a deja vu of last season! :( :evil:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The bench looks good. But if Humps and Maggs have been allowed by Herr Eddie to be subs, why can't they just play?
Great to know Trimble and Maxy can come on. And Fitzy's back!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

here's the bench for those too lazy to go to the UR site
The Coach has received clearance from the IRFU to bench Ireland stars Kevin Maggs and David Humphreys who toured Japan with the national side in June.
Alongside them on the Ulster bench is Ulster Under 21 Paul Marshall who provides scrum-half cover.

Backs: Paul Marshall, David Humphreys, Kevin Maggs, Andrew Trimble, Andrew Maxwell, Shane Stewart

Forwards: Justin Fitzpatrick, Nigel Brady, Rowan Frost, Henry Head, Oisin Hennessey
I guess the Internationals that weren't paraded last week get their one pre-season outing tonight. Better than nothing but hardly a chance to prepare as a team for Cardiff.
Paul.

cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

They haven't had game time I presume that is why they are allowed. It is certainly a boost will be good to see Marshall and Hennesy get decent game time.

Welcome back Maxy and the Fitz.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cjp wrote: It is certainly a boost will be good to see Marshall and Hennesy get decent game time.

Welcome back Maxy and the Fitz.
Can't see Marshall playing for the rest of the season though unless we have serious injury problems as he will be no 4 choice :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Yep neither are likely to play again this season that is why it will be good to see how they go tonight.