Ulster Rugby Residents Association

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Some of the good residents of Twickenham in their £750k+ houses have turned their proximity to the rugby ground to their advantage - they rent out their front gardens to vendors selling food and drink and make sure they clean up after they go!

The RFU do give free tickets to residents in the area (via a draw) and there is meant to be a limit on the number of events per year - which wouldn't be that far short of the number of Ulster home games taking into account 6N, AI, ZP and PG finals, Varsity, Army & Navy, concerts...
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Mole, if that was the case and I don't doubt you on it, police should impound vehicles and charge for towing and release, it happens in every town in the country and the law here just could not be arsed. If there are cones there don't park, and if it's someones drive same goes.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

mikerob

Yes..... Twickers management seem to have been able to work something out with the locals. Same can be said for other grounds and other sports, even people that play that daft game with that funny round ball...... one of the main complaints is that UR have totally ignored the residents and their concerns regarding the hoped for increase in gates towards the ground's maximum when the development is completed and the disturbance during the development (jack hammers going all day during construction, heavy traffic, dust and dirt....)
I'm a mole and I live in a hole..............
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

You could always do what I did once with a car parked in a gateway after 3 days, got into frightfull trouble though :evil: lifted car with forklift and set it on top of pile of dung :lol: Owner was not amused when they came back for it and got their shoes dirty :? Almost got done for wilful damage to property to something that was parked on private property without permission :? :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

YoungMan

Yes..... very emotional...... especially if it's you with the heart attack or the house on fire...... lots of older residents in the area...... remember also that the Onslow/Ravenhill Park is a through way to other parts of the local area.... not just Onslow/Ravenhill Park, Gardens Ravensdene etc. itself......

Yes..... some very large arguments regarding parking.... but case is if the ticket is written........ more than my job's worth...... you were warned.

Also some comical situations where the cones are actually placed around parked cars and then tickets given out...... pi$$ed off or what......
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Mole wrote: Also some comical situations where the cones are actually placed around parked cars and then tickets given out...... pi$$ed off or what......
Have actually seen that happen, police van with cones arrives after 6:30 when people have parked, then next squad round nicks them. :shock:
Did see youg lads lifting cones one night and hiding them, then bringing back out after someone had parked :shock:
Rory Best
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I do have some empathy where parking is concerned and I did say it was amatter for the police not UR

I do have empathy regarding litter dislike it and don't expect others to like it

My main point was that you please some poeple some time but all never

and therefore can understand why Ur have not come back to the committee

Regarding the redevelopment

I doubt if anyone knows what is going to happen

With the talk of Stadiums everywhere

But I would expect a structure of

Redevelopment Committee appoints Architect - reports to Branch - Branch reports to IRFU - IRFU applies for planning permission - plans go round in circles before anything is approved

how can anybody in those circumstances discuss anything with anybody until you actual know what is permissable

reality helps
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

I think this is an issue that could and should have been addressed through the planning process, when residents can view plans on request and lodge objections through the planning process. I trust the residents association, if they have any nous would have done this or will do it if the planning aplication hasn't already been lodged. Perhaps UR have thought the same thing and that is why they have not met this particular bunch of people. (Though if UR promised them dialogue then they should have honoured that committment. :roll: )

The building work will presumbably have it's construction entrance at the Mount Merrion entrance with the exception of heavy plant traffic which may require the use of the main entrance.

As for the comment on O'Donnell and his GAA profile, I really don't see what that has to do with it, perhaps he's a bona fide rugby supporter as well, no more so than Robinson is a rugby fan I would suggest. That's not the point they are acting as representatives of the residents and have lent their name to this no dioubt to give the residents association some credibility.

Bottom line here is the planning procedures take into account residents concerns and that is how they (the residents) should proceed, as the Dublin residents appear to have done in connection with the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road. 8)
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

YoungMan

More than one ticket........ and has been going on for a number of years.....

Problem is that on match nights one of the Health and Safety issue is (yes that old thorn) that given the expected increase in traffic around the ground and parking, the police must ensure that access is made available to emergency vehicles along Onslow and Ravenhill Park. To do this they make the left hand side of the road - no parking- and place the cones. This temporary - no parking - is there to facilitate the match and IRFU/UR and allow the match to safely take place, and conform to H&S requirements.

Now if you live on the left had side of the roads normally there is no restriction in the parking. So If a resident parks their car, say on Thursday evening or Friday morning, they could come back late on Friday evening to see a ticket slapped on it.

I have witnessed a number of stand-up arguments between residents and the police over this.

As a resident however I should at least be thankful that on one evening every two weeks the PSNI are in the area. The area is a magnet for burglars and the like. Home matches are usually the only time I see PSNI in the area.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Mole- If your vehicle was taxed, insured and parked legally I doubt the police would have a case to issue a ticket.

Parking tickets indicate the offence (I know because I get them squashed a couple of times per season) so what was the offence in your case? Or was it that you were illegally parked albeit in your own street. In saying that I tend to annoy the Cregagh residents more than those on the other side.

Your story re large car sounds like it may have been YM and myself who occasionally use a stretch limo when entertaining friends. However think of the problem facing us with future games at the Maze with car parking fees likely to be several pounds for the evening.

However unlike some other posters here I understand the need for such groups as a member myself of 5 resident committees spread across the province.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

OK...

Put simply.......

On Friday morning the car was park legally, no problems, parked there every day, day in day out, evenings etc. etc. no issues whatsoever.......

Car not moved all day.........

Come back Friday evening now parked illegally........... and if not already fined can't move to the RHS of road because there are no places........
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Mole wrote:For goodness sake – why do you think my name is MOLE………………………
Is it a veiled threat that you and your mates will do a 'Thomond Park' on the hallowed sods of Ravenhill? ;)

Got to say, I don't see what all the fuss is about. The residents (who have made it clear they do not oppose rugby matches or even development) are suggesting that communication from the branch could be better. Well I think we can all empathise with that. I accept that these residents do put up with things they shouldn't have to due to their proximity to Ravenhill - no, it should be no surprise, but that doesn't mean they should not be entitled to a bit of respect - whether that be wrt litter, parking or planning.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Mole , I can see your problem more clearly now :D in this case would the simple answer not be to park on the left hand side before departing on Friday mornings of matches, or as going to happen now Saturday afternoon as well, not helpful though if you go shopping when a match is on and return to find no spot, perhaps the ong term answer is a ban to all but residents in those particular streets on match days, but I'm sure that would be a Police/DRD/H&S and dear knows who else to be involved but I can't see how UR would have any say in this.
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Mole- I got the impression from earlier that this had happened time and time again to you and if so one must ask why park in an area even if it is outside your own house that you know will be illegel when you return.

If it was a one off then yes I would probably be annoyed just like you however if I may suggest there is an option on your parking ticket that you offer an excuse which may or may not be accepted.

I would be surprised that anyone having parked on a public road legally only to find that later and without knowing that the road was subjected to restricted parking would ever be fined.

As an expert in getting off these things a similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago when I parked my vehicle legally only to return and find a parking ticket with a yellow no parking cone placed behind my vehicle. I simply went to the local station and offered my reasoning ie that I been there in advance of the cones being placed and the ticket was cancelled.

Failing that use your driveway an inconveneince I know but worthy of consideration.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

As said previously I don't like litter

once lived quite close to a corner shop and many sweetie papers were to found in the garden

Never blamed the Corner Shop

similiarly UR is not responible for the litter

litter is the responibility of the person who drops it not the manufacturer or the vendor

At this time my view is that UR have actually nothing to discuss if there are no concrete agreed proposals on redevelopment
2B or not 2B that is the question ?