Glasgow v Ulster Fri 25th March 19:35 BBC NI/BBC ALBA/TG4

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Glasgow v Ulster Fri 25th March 19:35 BBC NI/BBC ALBA/TG

Post by Dave »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Dave wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Big minor misunderstanding and walk-back
What has happened to this place. Are we now having too much sex?
Or we're a bunch of banker.
We are too nice. Too many soft saffers on here.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
Dave wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Big minor misunderstanding and walk-back
What has happened to this place. Are we now having too much sex?
Or we're a bunch of banker.
I'm writing a paper on the future of Banking
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

scrum5 wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:Scrummie shirey you know by now they, Best, JP & Trimble are on a down week after their 6N exertions as decreed by our D4 paymasters.
See Roosters reply.......Zebo, Earls, D Ryan and T O’Donnell starting with Stander and Murray on the bench. they're playing Zebre by the way, who are we playing......
They'll have to rest them at some point when we have our guys. Swings and roundabouts. Personally I think Best needs the week aff, I'd rather Marshall at 13 over Payne and Trimble has played every minute of the 6N for Ireland (I think?)

I don't think them being there or not being there will be the winning or losing of this game. Lutton having to last 80 or McCall having to go to TH is a much bigger concern to me, for example. As is Henry's middling to poor form, Nicks drifting in and out of games and Black starting full stop.
drumbo diehard
Novice

Post by drumbo diehard »

Yes, look at the collection of trophies we have won with Best, Trimble and Payne starting!!!
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

I'll take an lbp tonight. We 're in real danger of not making the playoffs and squeaky for top 6 all told, given our run in. I too think it's a mistake not pushing for at least 2 of or 3 internationals, or taking the Zebre game to rest them if there was a choice. I wonder what Munsters conversation with the IRFU was and why we didn't avail of the same, unless it was made clear it wouldn't be offered to us? Then why didn't we push it. Something stinks.
Payne at full back strengthens us without a doubt. Reds a great back up but Rory is still better currently. Ditto Trimble vs Scholes atm. So we ARE weakened by their absence.
I think our pack will struggle big time tonight Hendo or no.

Question: some comments about the weakness of our pack and scrum going forward, and Nucifora nixing any non IQ signings. Would a starting IQ AVP loosehead not strengthen our pack? And I'm not talking Tom Court? Reverse the question: who of our current props, bar Herbst would be considered as a first choice option for an AVP team? Maybe McCall in a couple of years. I've tried to watch McAllister as much as possible this season, and bar injury he has been impressive. The Glaws fans on their forum rate him as their best recent forward signing, and they know a prop when they see one. Just stating what seems obvious to me.
Exterminate all rational thought
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

I get depressed by the assumption by so many on this forum that all of the other contenders for a top 4 finish will win all of their remaining fixtures and that we will lose all of ours
IMO there will be a few surprises before the regular season is complete
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Given our flakiness and form of some of our players, and form in general, I think it's a fair assumption to be glass half empty. Tonight will be a benchmark. If we front up, even in a lbp defeat then I'll take positives from it. Since Xmas I ve seen little to be optimistic about nor little to suggest we will not struggle against Westies, Weegies, Leinster and Hairsprays. Three of those teams we traditionally struggle to beat. There's blind optimism and then there's realism, or are you buying the UR meedja speak BS?
Exterminate all rational thought
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:I'll take an lbp tonight. We 're in real danger of not making the playoffs and squeaky for top 6 all told, given our run in. I too think it's a mistake not pushing for at least 2 of or 3 internationals, or taking the Zebre game to rest them if there was a choice. I wonder what Munsters conversation with the IRFU was and why we didn't avail of the same, unless it was made clear it wouldn't be offered to us? Then why didn't we push it. Something stinks.
Payne at full back strengthens us without a doubt. Reds a great back up but Rory is still better currently. Ditto Trimble vs Scholes atm. So we ARE weakened by their absence.
I think our pack will struggle big time tonight Hendo or no.

Question: some comments about the weakness of our pack and scrum going forward, and Nucifora nixing any non IQ signings. Would a starting IQ AVP loosehead not strengthen our pack? And I'm not talking Tom Court? Reverse the question: who of our current props, bar Herbst would be considered as a first choice option for an AVP team? Maybe McCall in a couple of years. I've tried to watch McAllister as much as possible this season, and bar injury he has been impressive. The Glaws fans on their forum rate him as their best recent forward signing, and they know a prop when they see one. Just stating what seems obvious to me.
I have read on other forums that there is a limit for the Irish players in terms of minutes on the pitch during the season. Is this the case? Don't know if its done on an individual basis etc. Surely Munster will have to rest/bench the likes of Stander, Earls during the run-in if they are involved tonight? I read all the players were released and its up to the provinces how they use their Irish players, i.e. interesting to see how many Connacht and Leinster name in their line-ups at lunchtime.

A LBP with no BP for Glasgow would be a good outcome tonight - a lot may depend on how bad their pitch is (was pretty awful last week) whether it allows them to throw the ball about or not.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

There is a limit on playing time. I can't swear by it but think it is the equivalent of 24 x 80 minutes but it's totted up on actual minutes played rather than the number of games played.

Whether there is any slippage from that, given the extra international commitments this season, I have no idea but it would be hard to see the IRFU saying, sorry, Stander can only play 23 minutes of the semi final.

One thing is certain, Lynchpin will not exceed his quota.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Of course, it may well be that as we did in the league game last season, Ulster are conceding defeat before the kick off.

Strange days, what?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
LUMBERJACK
Novice

Post by LUMBERJACK »

Cant see anything but a stuffing for ulster tonight.

We are going to Glasgow with a scratch team of largely disinterested squad of players who with a few exceptions don't seem to have any investment in our club against a team of internationals who have been training and playing together for the last six weeks or so .
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

We are go :cheers: ing to win!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

ULSTER RFC.png
ULSTER RFC.png (78.85 KiB) Viewed 753 times
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
SOU
Novice

Post by SOU »

Glasgow Warriors have won their last four PRO12 encounters since Ulster beat them 13-10 in Belfast on 12 February. The Warriors have not lost at Scotstoun in the PRO12 since Round 1 when Scarlets were the visitors. Ulster’s 32-0 victory over Zebre in Belfast in Round 17 of the PRO12 ended a two-game losing run. The Ulstermen’s last five fixtures against Scottish opponents have all been won by the home side on the day. Ulster beat Glasgow 13-10 in Round 14 but have not achieved a PRO12 season’s double over the Scotsmen since 2010/11, whilst Ulster’s only previous victory at Scotstoun came in the European Champions Cup in October 2012.

Some stinking stats there :lol:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Setanta wrote:We are go :cheers: ing to win!
Are you in the bar early today?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best