Leinster v Ulster Sat 3rd Dec 19:35 Viaplay Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Leinster v Ulster Sat 3rd Dec 19:35 Viaplay Sports 1

Post by Dave »

Only saw bits of the game. Didn't get why Lowe on Cooney wasn't looked at. I remember Warwick getting a red for a lot less. Really Ulster would have needed to play 13 men. The 14 players always get the upper hand.

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Trying to see the big picture........

Ulster need 2 9s ( Cooney and Doak up and unders a shambles , and to paraphrase Bill Shankleys phrase " milk can turn quicker than Doak can pass"

AND 2 10s ( if we are not going to use Lowry)

Wasting all this money on irrelevant props is the road to nowhere.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:24 pm POINT OF LAW!

Sometimes when a team score a try, you see them rush the conversion cos once it's taken, the ref cannae chalk it off, even if there's foul play by the attacking team? Is that correct?

If so, surely the ref cannae go back and address foul play by defending team once the conversion has been taken either?

To put it bluntly, can he review foul play in a previous phase, and dish out cards, even after play has been restarted?

The conversion is the restart of play after a try. The kick-off is just the restart after the conversion.

Answers on a postcard please?
They’ve changed the law or possibly the ref interpretation that the ref can’t check something after the conversion has been kicked. Assume it was to stop teams taking a quick conversion before the ref could check something.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Cormac wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:51 am

Sometimes when a team score a try, you see them rush the conversion cos once it's taken, the ref cannae chalk it off, even if there's foul play by the attacking team? Is that correct?

If so, surely the ref cannae go back and address foul play by defending team once the conversion has been taken either?

To put it bluntly, can he review foul play in a previous phase, and dish out cards, even after play has been restarted?

The conversion is the restart of play after a try. The kick-off is just the restart after the conversion.

They’ve changed the law or possibly the ref interpretation that the ref can’t check something after the conversion has been kicked. Assume it was to stop teams taking a quick conversion before the ref could check something.
Fair enough
And Ringrose seemed content with the logic of the double foot movement. Hume less so!
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

When are the refs going to look at a clear release from Leinster tacklers along with their off sides?
Not wanting to do a Rassie but answers on a postcard!

As regards a Doak being overrated I’m in the Yes he is camp.
Assume please that the ref isn’t going to protect you!

#Dissappointed with drink taken another opportunity missed!
#It#ShiteBeingAnUlsterSupporter
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cormac wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:51 am

Thanks for the postcard. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Polroger wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:40 pm TOTAL EMBARRASSMENT - sorry Grumpy. But the sentiment stands.
Fairy Nuffski - I couldn't resist. >EW

Hard to change sentiments
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:57 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:35 pm
Bangors wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:33 pm Watches the game knowing the final score.
Masochist! :shock:
Nipple clamps on and wired up to the mains power
Mains Power?

Electric?

Rich masochist!!! :shock:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

nev666 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:12 am
Polroger wrote:Gentlemen.

Why was an obviously injured Billy Burns not taken off the field? This is the best team in recent history we are playing. And we think we can do this with a nobbled out half.. MADNESS
Because we have a lack in depth and there is no one the managment trust at 10?
He probably has some talents, but I don't think rugby is one of Rishi Sunak's
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:18 am
HammerTime wrote:I never liked the 6/2 bench split. Ship an injury or two in the backs and your fooked. Plus it must be ridiculously frustrating for the likes of Madigan, Lyttle etc. Should be set to a max 5/3 forwards/backs. Doaks kicking was so incredibly pointless that it had to be coming from McFarland. Hume, Lowry, Doak and McIlroy haven’t turned up this season.
Can't argue. I've only turned up once.
When will we experience Dave Ja Vu?
I'm not arguing -
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Question

To what extent did Burns injury limit the options available to the scrum halfs Cooney and Doak .

I personally consider that they both realised Burns was the number 1 target of the Leinster Backrow thus left with little option but to kick since any other ball carriers were being two man tackled by the remaining leinster Pack.

I have always maintained the only legal defence of a Ball carrier is a HAND OFF an elbow to the Jaw does not qualify as a hand Off.

Again Personally think Hume was dismissed because Ringrose complained to the Referee getting his speak in before someone complained about his elbow used as a Hand Off and if anyone was hit in the head it was Hume as Ringrose turned into him .

Did Timoney tackle ( bring down the Ball carrier ) when the two or more players broke from the maul to form a Calvary Charge or did bring down the a tackle blocker.

Two yellow Cards at a bad time after Henderson went off having come down Jaw first on shoulder.and When he went off the Ulster Line out options were depleted only to be depleted even more by the loss of Timoney

Basically I got Leinster winning game ploy right wait to the second half a bit of arm waving and Penalties to the Corner and maul the 5 metres for a try .

Whats new --why the surprise ?
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I know who I blame. But roll on Sale. Eccles RFC here we go and think I may be aLlowed a trip to Galway on the 23rd. Happy days are here again.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:58 am Again Personally think Hume was dismissed because Ringrose complained to the Referee getting his speak in before someone complained about his elbow used as a Hand Off and if anyone was hit in the head it was Hume as Ringrose turned into him .
Most players would have been content to have scored the try, but Ringrose certainly went after the ref to get him to look at the Hume incident and get him carded.

Given the ref had previously told him not to come after him again, after he had been in his ear after every Ulster score, moaning about something, The ref should probably have told him (politely) where to go, and if he didn't, should have told him how long to go for (10 minutes).

It's difficult though when Ringrose is their captain. Like him or loathe him, he is a quality player.

After that try though, Leinster did seem to be in undue haste to get the conversion done - almost as if they didn't want the ref to look at something again and possibly disallow the try.
I'm not arguing -
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

As a few of us know, you don’t want to be winning at half time eh.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I've no issues with what ringrose did. It's a captains job to gain as much advantage as he can for his team. Who was ours by the way once hendo went off?
This felt like a toulouse type defeat and I reckon Sale will be licking their lips now having had a 2 week rest and internationals back. Dan has a big job to ensure we don't slump like we did against munster last year.

Where is that tighten up syrup? We are going to need bucket loads the next 6 weeks.