What makes you happy

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What makes you happy

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:There's a school of thought that says one shouldn't shoot first in a duel. Chances are that your opponent will be bricking it and is likely to miss or just wing you. You can then despatch the bounder at your leisure. Might be of some help Baggy?
Merv you are talking to a man who caught the bank porter on the middle of the forehead with a missile made of rolled paper & a stout elastic band. Wee Tommy went ashen, I covered the ground to see that his condition was not terminal, and says he"Jaysus Sir you coulda blinded me". Seeing his wound was not mortal I said "Nonsense Tommy, I only ever hit what I aim at".

However, thanks for the advice Merv, I think that I will adapt it depending on the range between Agen & myself, if we are fairly close I think I'll take my chances and give him both barrels. >EW

In times past if there was ever a threat of violence my thoughts were always, don't wait, swift boot to the ballix....... saves any bother with the Marquess of Queensberry. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:There's a school of thought that says one shouldn't shoot first in a duel. Chances are that your opponent will be bricking it and is likely to miss or just wing you. You can then despatch the bounder at your leisure. Might be of some help Baggy?
Back in the days of single shot, inaccurate duelling pistols, this was very much the tactic of choice.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
Back in the days of single shot, inaccurate duelling pistols, this was very much the tactic of choice.

I've often wondered where the origin of 2 boyos squaring up to each other, not really wanting to get hurt and one or both use the line, "you throw the first punch" "no you do", "no you do", etc etc.

So it goes back to duelling then, you live and learn. Mind you for the unwilling pugilists, the swift boot to the jewels is recommended.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:

I've often wondered where the origin of 2 boyos squaring up to each other, not really wanting to get hurt and one or both use the line, "you throw the first punch" "no you do", "no you do", etc etc.

So it goes back to duelling then, you live and learn. Mind you for the unwilling pugilists, the swift boot to the jewels is recommended.
One should also remember that once one party is hit honour is served. And the duel should end there and then. For a minor offence, even a miss for each side should suffice in restoring honour.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Indeed in some circles, arriving with an M60 would be frowned upon.

Oh how I long for the days of duelling with sabres (probably my Germanic genes). Difficult to miss with a well sharpened blade from 1mtr. Work disputes could be sorted in minutes.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

In the best circles the duels often finished with swords anyway. Unless you had a pair of Purdeys and perfectly spherical balls :shock: you couldn't hit a bull on the backside.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Interestingly the expression, to cross the line, comes from the house of commons. There is a line in front of both benches that are just two sword lengths apart so that if the debate got agressive the protaganists wouldn't be able to attack unless they crossed the line. Bad show, what?
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Interestingly the expression, to cross the line, comes from the house of commons. There is a line in front of both benches that are just two sword lengths apart so that if the debate got agressive the protaganists wouldn't be able to attack unless they crossed the line. Bad show, what?
"Toeing the line" also comes from there, supposedly.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:
mid ulster maestro wrote:Interestingly the expression, to cross the line, comes from the house of commons. There is a line in front of both benches that are just two sword lengths apart so that if the debate got agressive the protaganists wouldn't be able to attack unless they crossed the line. Bad show, what?
One of the guides at the Ulster Folk Museum told me it's origin was in 19th century schools when the schoolmaster would draw a curved line for the pupils to stand behind.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
One of the guides at the Ulster Folk Museum told me it's origin was in 19th century schools when the schoolmaster would draw a curved line for the pupils to stand behind.
There are several theories about where it from. I was told the House of Commons story by a guide in the House of Commons.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Snipe Watson wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
There are several theories about where it from. I was told the House of Commons story by a guide in the House of Commons.
and you believe everything, no wait, anything you hear in the House of Commons? :shock:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
As me ould grandfather used to say, "Paper never refuses ink, and a lie gets out of your throat just as easily as the truth". Wise ould bird me gran'faar.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Most explanations as to the origins of phrases are retrofitted baleex.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
As me ould grandfather used to say, "Paper never refuses ink, and a lie gets out of your throat just as easily as the truth". Wise ould bird me gran'faar.
The truth never hurts the teller ..
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I don't know which I enjoy more - Yank band who don't know that Dublin is not in the United Kingdom or folk getting upset about flegs. :D

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 21958.html
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.