Turnips V Ulster B: Live

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Beattiespastie
Squire

Re: Turnips V Ulster B: Live

Post by Beattiespastie »

I cannot wait to read the posts after the next HC match....what if we qualify out of our group?...what words of wisdom will be spouted about McClaughlin then??...We showed fantastic spirit with a young side in the first half but our penalty count killed us...once again. YES..the referee left a great deal to be desired but Ulster did not help themselves in any respect.
I do not think McClaughlin will be at Ulster next year but I pity the man who they pick to fill his boots..whoever he may be.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

His name is McLaughlin.... :roll: and he's well out of his depth.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:Cooder saying now Buckley should have been penalised against Young for dropping bind continually
A blind man on a galloping horse on a dark night could have seen that, but not the ref from 1-2m away in full floodlights.

I was standing beside a couple of turnips with smug grins on their faces as even they could see (and agreed) what was going on from 60m away.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Scoreline flattered Munster, and certainly didn't reflect the performance and effort of the Ulster team.

I didn't feel let down in any way.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

browner wrote:Scoreline flattered Munster, and certainly didn't reflect the performance and effort of the Ulster team.

I didn't feel let down in any way.
yeah, that's what I thought too. Methinks folks have got too carried away with our 4 pt wins over Bath...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Clearly some people are easily pleased if a 25 point thrashing following another similar margin does it for you. The selection was the start of the problem, the lack of performance in almost everything but guts was just the natural conclusion & we saw exactly where guts alone will take you.

Dire from everyone associated with this episode starting with the coaches & not excluding the players. I lost count of the simple errors, the stupid penalties conceded & of course not forgetting the monumental number of wrong options.

Perhaps I have somewhat higher expectations but I am gutted by & offended by this weeks representation of Ulster Rugby. Just so so far from acceptable, unless of course your ambition extends to finishing above the Italians, Connacht, Dragons & perhaps Glasgie. Shameful rubbish.

Edit: Oh & how could I not mention the utter cack that was our set piece & the hammering at the breakdown ?

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I'm with you goonahead
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Agree with Goonhead here, shocking second half performance...

Rory Best shocking lineout throws or no throws ( lacks leadership) but Andi gets 50 odd seconds
Ryan Caldwell penalty machine
Fitzy had a reasonable game but his penalty was unforgivable
Danielli was he even playing :scratch: ( and not for the first time this season either )
TJ one of the few who came out of the game with any credit ( would prefer him in the 2nd row ahead of Caldwell and McComb)
Luke Marshall one for the future
Jamie Smith ran into contact too often and got turned over and the knock on leading to the Munster scrum was poor
Paddy Jackson enjoyed his bus trip to Limerick ( learnt a lot about him we now know he doesn't get travel sick)

Could go on but why bother about the failure to catch clean ball at restarts ( 12 games now and still not being addressed), the inabilty to put up a hanging kick at restart time to give the chasers a chance to compete. Why take Cronin unless he was there to keep Paddy Jackson company.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

In many ways I was very relieved to see some of the determination of the team but when you have to live on minimal posession you have to expect to be on the wrong end of bit of a duffing. It is irrelevant that Munster ran away with it in the last quarter but it is to Ulster's great credit that they did not do so before. However at the end of the day the score fairly reflected the game. You can forget about Dudly Phillips he hasn't a clue where he is but he did not defnd magnificently as many Ulster players did nor did he miss just about every high ball nor did he create the incisive break that led to the first Munster try et al.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Are there any old hookers out there (yes, I know......wayne rooney...blah, blah..) who can explain why throwing into the line is so difficult? It seems like a simple muscle memory skill that is ingrained with practice.

It has held Rory back, cost him many caps and a Lions tour
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Snipe Watson wrote:Are there any old hookers out there (yes, I know......wayne rooney...blah, blah..) who can explain why throwing into the line is so difficult? It seems like a simple muscle memory skill that is ingrained with practice.

I would tend to agree with your final conclusion Snipe but not the rest.

It cannot be simple surely as there are too many aspects to each throw - straightness, trajectory at release, speed at release, synchronisation of timing with jumper.

I have (long time) formed the view that his 'not-straight' throws are quite deliberately so to enhance the probability of winning the ball. He has also been pinged on far, far too many occasions for delaying the throw (may be that jumper is delaying but it is the hooker who gets pinged).

I don't know who was calling the throws yesterday but just before the Anderson try I noticed (after lineout was formed) Marshall came to the touchline and spoke to Best and then spoke to the forwards. Was the initial call changed by Marshall was my thought at the time.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

cables wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Are there any old hookers out there (yes, I know......wayne rooney...blah, blah..) who can explain why throwing into the line is so difficult? It seems like a simple muscle memory skill that is ingrained with practice.

I would tend to agree with your final conclusion Snipe but not the rest.

It cannot be simple surely as there are too many aspects to each throw - straightness, trajectory at release, speed at release, synchronisation of timing with jumper.

I have (long time) formed the view that his 'not-straight' throws are quite deliberately so to enhance the probability of winning the ball. He has also been pinged on far, far too many occasions for delaying the throw (may be that jumper is delaying but it is the hooker who gets pinged).

I don't know who was calling the throws yesterday but just before the Anderson try I noticed (after lineout was formed) Marshall came to the touchline and spoke to Best and then spoke to the forwards. Was the initial call changed by Marshall was my thought at the time.

Seemed to be happening quite a few times thru the match,there was a lot of noise and I would imagine it is just a way of communicating,you do see it in quite a lot of games though.Re Besties throws that lineout was a scratch one and as you point out there is more to it than just throwing the ball in,with Flannery's injury yesterday,I still sxpect Best to be starting for Ireland in the 6 nations
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Did anyone else notice that Buckley never scrummed legally once,totally ignored by the Ref [no surprise there],someone needs to teach him how to bind legally,and he was totally fupped when Court went to loosehead.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

What is Flanhead made of? China or Glass? Surely his career must be finished now.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bootlaced wrote:Did anyone else notice that Buckley never scrummed legally once,totally ignored by the Ref [no surprise there],someone needs to teach him how to bind legally,and he was totally fupped when Court went to loosehead.
Yes, most people in the ground noticed .... except the officials. :roll:
cables wrote:I don't know who was calling the throws yesterday but just before the Anderson try I noticed (after lineout was formed) Marshall came to the touchline and spoke to Best and then spoke to the forwards. Was the initial call changed by Marshall was my thought at the time.
Lineout calls yesterday were by Caldwell. :banghead: Turnip fans were quite good at drowning out the calls and Paul Marshall often acted as go-between to communicate .... although on at least two occasions, I noticed he went and spoke to Rory first and THEN went and seemed to be telling Caldwell what he/they had already decided.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right