A heartfelt apology to Nick Williams

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: A heartfelt apology to Nick Williams

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:
Scranner wrote:Andrew or Robbie - no other contenders.
Seems the players in Ireland and the Rabo would disagree with you, but hey what would they know.
Aye but how many of them have seen every game Ulster have played? >EW
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Dave wrote:
Scranner wrote:Andrew or Robbie - no other contenders.
Seems the players in Ireland and the Rabo would disagree with you, but hey what would they know.
Aye but how many of them have seen every game Ulster have played? >EW
I don't know but we did play every team, and they all got to vote and they were playing against the guy. The point I was addressing wasn't that Nick is unquestionably our best player, but the fact that Scranner stated that there aren't even any contenders outside the two he chose. I personally think with a team that tops the league there must be several candidates for the player of the year. Nick caught the eye and deserves his prize.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:
big mervyn wrote: Aye but how many of them have seen every game Ulster have played? >EW
I don't know but we did play every team, and they all got to vote and they were playing against the guy. The point I was addressing wasn't that Nick is unquestionably our best player, but the fact that Scranner stated that there aren't even any contenders outside the two he chose. I personally think with a team that tops the league there must be several candidates for the player of the year. Nick caught the eye and deserves his prize.
I agree - he fully deserves both awards.

My point is that players from other teams aren't always the best people to make these choices as a player who is the standout performer in a handful of games will probably attract a disproportionate number of votes. The consistent high performer may not win that many MOTMs.

Most of the people on here attend every game they can and then watch them all back with forensic attention to detail.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

It's called hyperbole - exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally. Not for a moment do I believe that others have not made a significant contribution to the season and undoubtedly Nick Williams is one - but I am still of the opinion that Diack and Trimble are the two standout players this season.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

It's still Trimbie for me.

Great to see FN saying how much he (and more importantly, his fiancée :thumleft: ) love it over here.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Dave wrote:
big mervyn wrote: Aye but how many of them have seen every game Ulster have played? >EW
I agree - he fully deserves both awards.

My point is that players from other teams aren't always the best people to make these choices as a player who is the standout performer in a handful of games will probably attract a disproportionate number of votes. The consistent high performer may not win that many MOTMs.

Most of the people on here attend every game they can and then watch them all back with forensic attention to detail.
Point taken Big M!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Scranner wrote:It's called hyperbole - exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally. Not for a moment do I believe that others have not made a significant contribution to the season and undoubtedly Nick Williams is one - but I am still of the opinion that Diack and Trimble are the two standout players this season.
Thank you for the English lesson.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Still Trimble for me ... but I also say that St P is that extra cut above uber special that we get used to an 'average' performance from him ... in my book an average performance from St P is just about as good as a mega game for most other players.

For what Trimble had to cope with and how he has been as bloody minded, hard as, and determined he gets my vote ... but if I was pushed, and not very hard, Pienaar is the best player we have by a brave few head bangs from Fat Nick.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I would say on his day Afoa is one of the best players.I have ever seen for his position.
He can scrummage handle, carry,tackle like no other prop I have seen.
Again with RP.an average performance still is streets ahead of a normal player.
I think he has lost a bit of interest this season due to his family commitments but we will need him for the final if we make it.
Nick deserves his award though as commitment was one thing he certainly did not lack.
Last edited by bazzaj on Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Dave wrote:
Scranner wrote:It's called hyperbole - exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally. Not for a moment do I believe that others have not made a significant contribution to the season and undoubtedly Nick Williams is one - but I am still of the opinion that Diack and Trimble are the two standout players this season.
Thank you for the English lesson.
My pleasure.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Scranner has the right to an opinion. Well he had the last time I checked..............

You going to post that every time there is a difference of opinion on here?
Don't be daft. I'll come up with something else.