Ulster v Glasgow

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Glasgow

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cornerfleg wrote:Either that or he's just become a Hindu .... again?
Hindu? .................. I tell you what a hin du - lays eggs.

Thought they were getting a "getting me coat" smilie. :paperbag:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cornerfleg wrote:Do we need a Chris Cochrane song now then?
I think we might also need one for his slightly shorter twin brother - Chris.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Ulster Rugby has decided that UAFC forum members pip, Rooster, Russ, againstthehead and cornerfleg will be having a shoot off from the 22 metre line...prepared to get shown up boys!
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Right done it.

When do they let you know? If selected I'm going to have to nip down to Cherryvale sharpish with a bag of balls :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Very quiet on the Warriors fan forum, if wasn't for LastKnight, you get the feeling they wouldn't even have a match thread. Hope their squad have as much interest when they run on to the pitch on Friday night.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I know players are supposed to talk up their chances in the papers, but the things I've heard them say this week would indicate they are very up for it. Obviously they could be trying to get their fans' hopes up, but I dunno...

Mixed emotions on this one. Part of me wants them to send over a full strength team so that if we beat them we can say "We beat Glasgow - no excuses." But most of me wants them to send over a weak side so that we have the best chance of winning.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

As Glasgow are right behind us in the Rabo, they'll not want to roll over. They'll consider an Ulster scalp worth taking as we're the team to beat at the present time. They'll certainly look at our last Heineken home game result and gain something from it.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Weegies are probably the closest to Ulster in tackle count this season
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Rooster wrote:Weegies are probably the closest to Ulster in tackle count this season
Ferocious defence of the fringes of the breakdown area. Wouldn't be surprised if their tackle count is high Rooster. It's central to how they play - they fight and live of Penalties and restrict scoring fr the other team.
And Ulster defend like mad and pounce on opposition errors so another close hard fought battle
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Any of matches I've seen of them have been very dour, mind you most of them the weather was a significant factor. This Friday should be dry (and cold) a lot will depend on how quickly we can move the ball through phases against their tight defence which will aim to choke and slow everything (thereby conceding penalties) also depends how strict this French referee will be, if he interferes at every moment it could be a slow dour game right up Glasgow's alley.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Rooster wrote:Weegies are probably the closest to Ulster in tackle count this season
Ferocious defence of the fringes of the breakdown area. Wouldn't be surprised if their tackle count is high Rooster. It's central to how they play - they fight and live of Penalties and restrict scoring fr the other team.

Indeed LK, if they get a man over the ball early at the breakdown and get lots of turnover penalties, i'll start to get worried. How do you beat them? Very important for us to stay on our feet and off load effectively. Play it loose and fast with plenty of good lines. A couple of tries in the first half might make them lose interest. I think this is going to be a test for our boys alright. I hope our boys are ready for it.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Joe Schmo wrote:Any of matches I've seen of them have been very dour, mind you most of them the weather was a significant factor. This Friday should be dry (and cold) a lot will depend on how quickly we can move the ball through phases against their tight defence which will aim to choke and slow everything (thereby conceding penalties) also depends how strict this French referee will be, if he interferes at every moment it could be a slow dour game right up Glasgow's alley.
There's no doubt about it, to beat them we will have to wear them down up front, trying and get some sort of upper hand and hope to exploit the space available later in the game with quick ruck ball. Easier said than done though - I expect a tight tense affair with any gaps appearing in the last 20.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Joe Schmo wrote:...... also depends how strict this French referee will be, if he interferes at every moment it could be a slow dour game right up Glasgow's alley.
I predict that IF the Ulster crowd get vocal early on, he'll turn out to be a "homer", so let's give him something to think about. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Gauzere's a very strict ref. Doesn't let the game flow much and pings guys as soon as they infringe. Well, that's what I got from the Munster v Sarries game, and from the commentary it sounded like that's what he does a lot.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Joe Schmo wrote:...... also depends how strict this French referee will be, if he interferes at every moment it could be a slow dour game right up Glasgow's alley.
I predict that IF the Ulster crowd get vocal early on, he'll turn out to be a "homer", so let's give him something to think about. :thumleft:
suduko (difficult) crossword (cryptic) this years 11 plus 3rd paper?