Ulster V Scarlets

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Liam Williams
Novice

Re: Ulster V Scarlets

Post by Liam Williams »

Eggs wrote:Strong as a team as we will see until Hendo is back, more than enough for a win. Dry I would be saying BP, but in the wet, its going to be all down to the forwards. If we can get the scrum dominance, and at least as good as them in the line out.. who knows
Samson will eat your looseheads neck >skull
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Liam Williams wrote:
Eggs wrote:Surely we will score three tries very early, then let them back into the game, and in the last 5 minutes be scrambling for the try bonus point (either getting it or not), its the Ulster Way
Decadence ( :red: ) V. Humility (Llanelli.R.F.C)

I'm in town :D
Meanwhile over on Scarlet fever, the Llanelli lads are saying how brill Ulster are....

Though in fairness to LW scarlets pack are not (pardon the pun) a push over anymore, Samson Lee is on his way to being a cracking TH and a backrow missing John Barclay but includes Aaron Shingler, James Davies and Rory Pitman is a match for ours, the game in my opinion will be won or lost in the battle of the 10's both mercurial on their day and flaky when not, plus if we continue to aimlessly kick the ball away Liam Williams might just hurt us.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

Spiffsson wrote:
MCBwinwinwin wrote:Would we not he better with diack at 6. He covers a lot of ground and is more skilful than the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diack is OK. But I am always disappointed that a bloke with his physical attributes does not make better use of them. He tends to go down easily and looks underpowered. Roger Wilson is getting on a bit now, but I still rate him above Diack as a player with greater skill, rugby intelligence, grunt, and the mindset to give 100%. He's far from finished and has a few good games left in him yet. I have no time for Fat Nick at all and believe his liabilities outweigh his plus points. I'd love to see Henderson fit and restored to the back row where his speed, ball carrying and tackling can be best utilized. Ultimately, I think he'd make a great 8, but in the meantime he's a great 6. At some point I'd like to see an Irish backrow of Henderson/O'Brien/O'Mahony tried out, with the numbers on their backs relatively meaningless. There would be a lot of power/aggession/carrying ability in that unit.
Good call Spifflicator!

I was an advocate of Ferris at 8, as it would have given him more opportunities to be explosive off the base. Foley is looking at O'Mahoney as an 8 because he wants his best backrow to see as much of the ball as possible.
Hendo played 8 at underage and did well enough to suggest he would be an option there - certainly a step up from FNW and the Roast.
The future isn't what it used to be
Ampersand
Novice

Post by Ampersand »

Liam Williams wrote:
Eggs wrote:Strong as a team as we will see until Hendo is back, more than enough for a win. Dry I would be saying BP, but in the wet, its going to be all down to the forwards. If we can get the scrum dominance, and at least as good as them in the line out.. who knows
Samson will eat your looseheads neck >skull
Samson Suarez?

Our looseheads no longer have necks - they had them removed to tighten up their heads.
&
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Fly Half wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
MCBwinwinwin wrote:Would we not he better with diack at 6. He covers a lot of ground and is more skilful than the other two.

Diack is OK. But I am always disappointed that a bloke with his physical attributes does not make better use of them. He tends to go down easily and looks underpowered. Roger Wilson is getting on a bit now, but I still rate him above Diack as a player with greater skill, rugby intelligence, grunt, and the mindset to give 100%. He's far from finished and has a few good games left in him yet. I have no time for Fat Nick at all and believe his liabilities outweigh his plus points. I'd love to see Henderson fit and restored to the back row where his speed, ball carrying and tackling can be best utilized. Ultimately, I think he'd make a great 8, but in the meantime he's a great 6. At some point I'd like to see an Irish backrow of Henderson/O'Brien/O'Mahony tried out, with the numbers on their backs relatively meaningless. There would be a lot of power/aggession/carrying ability in that unit.
Good call Spifflicator!

I was an advocate of Ferris at 8, as it would have given him more opportunities to be explosive off the base. Foley is looking at O'Mahoney as an 8 because he wants his best backrow to see as much of the ball as possible.
Hendo played 8 at underage and did well enough to suggest he would be an option there - certainly a step up from FNW and the Roast.
Problem with us at the minute is that Nick WIlliams is our one forward who can power over the line from short range.
No one on our side can do that at this moment in time.
I don't write him off like yourselves but see him more as an impact option, which in an ideal world he would be if it wasn`t for injuries.

I totally agree about Hendo`s potential to play at 8.
Since he arrived on the scene I have always thought he had the ability to do well there with his skill set and raised the point on this very forum back then.
However we are in the bad habit of messing with players positions at the minute and it clearly does them no favours to do that.
Therefore for the time being I would stick him at 6 and keep him there.

As for the bonus point issue rum raisoned, I don't believe we are in a position to be in that particular frame of mind right now.
I don`t think rum was implying `flinging the pill around,` as was inferred but you can still gun for bps by neglecting points at goal for a kick in the corner, wet night or not.
My view however, would be to get the game won first and then see what happens.
We have to be focusing on a performance rather than chasing bonus points at the minute.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Liam Williams is most likely to hurt someone at the bottom of a ruck from behind when they're not looking.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Kofi Annan wrote:
BR wrote:
Deraless wrote:Also a bit disappointing the match isn't sold out.
It's a big ground now.
And
...and the 12k ground was rarely massively sold out in the past. Plenty of sell-out ERC games in the past have been technically sold-out but only late in the day and in reality there was often plenty of tickets available.

Also seems to be a trend towards people buying off ST holders, etc BEFORE looking on TM for tickets, which is good for the seller with the spare and the buyer (who may avoid TM fees), but not good for UR.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Good luck lads, no bonus points now, oh and a draw would be nice too............................... :duck:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Anyone know where one could get an online rip of this?

I usually use cricfree.me, but doesn't seem to be on their schedule for today, and I'm not giving BT Sport a fecking penny
It's the hope that kills you.
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

try usagoals .... usually one of the feeds is good when you get shot of the ads
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Anyone know where one could get an online rip of this?
Wiziwig is usually good for online streams. :fleg:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Tiger

Those talking about a bonus point win have made no allowance for the weather .

I expect Priestland to kick long all night and the game to be a kickfest

It's not a night for fast open rugby it's cold enough now cold hands will ruin any chance of a bonus point with a 19 45 kick Ulster drew a short straw

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Sick of all the weather hating!

Lock the internet.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:Sick of all the weather hating!

Lock the internet.
Bright and sunny inside zone 2

We all know nothing exists outside zone 2
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Once a Knight wrote:Is anyone else finding difficulty in getting remotely excited about the SuperDuper Cup?

A pale imitation of the Heineken Cup. Nowhere near the same interest for me and I don't know why.
I have to say that it is taking time for me to get to love it, not just because of our performances but it is geared towards the French and English. Would prefer if a Pro 12 team won it, but can't see it.