Gibbes Waikato bound - confirmed

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Gibbes Waikato bound - confirmed

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:
Dave wrote:
justinr73 wrote:
BR wrote:
justinr73 wrote:Right but didn’t the improvement in the pack and defence actually coincide with JG slinging his hook, JP getting involved and Rory’s rallying cry?
Biggest turning point was Kiss's long overdue departure. IMHO
I'm sure you're not alone in thinking that but I'm not so sure.

He left on 31 Jan and it took until 6 April to get a win (bar the gimme against the Saffers).

Hardly a typical 'new manager bounce' was it?
You wouldn't have had that with Jonno being already in the place. The changes did come though. The team is playing a lot differently to the disastrous LK era.
Moore was already at West Brom.

L K would have won the league save for indiscipline by Lutton.

There’s no evidence at all that Gibbes brought anything to the party and i’d carry the treacherous dog to La Rochelle myself when my Achilles heals.

Les’ biggest mistake was bringing the half-hearted mercenary to the club in the first place.
Lol I'm guessing you are not a fan.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Not so much :D

There was something about the jowly fecker that I didn’t trust from the start >seeya
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

justinr73 wrote:
BR wrote:
justinr73 wrote:Right but didn’t the improvement in the pack and defence actually coincide with JG slinging his hook, JP getting involved and Rory’s rallying cry?
Biggest turning point was Kiss's long overdue departure. IMHO
I'm sure you're not alone in thinking that but I'm not so sure.

He left on 31 Jan and it took until 6 April to get a win (bar the gimme against the Saffers).

Hardly a typical 'new manager bounce' was it?
They started playing a better brand of rugby as soon as Kiss was out, it just took a while for things to click. It seems now Gibbes has put us in the right direction, hopefully McFarland can keep it that way.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

There was a two month period where:

Lele left
FOLK left
Jirrid steps in to help coach
McPhilips got his first start
Gibbes linked to Aussie job
The trial
6Ns break (4 weeks off)
Gibbes confirmed leaving but seeing out season
PJ & SO get the boot

For me FOLK FOLKing and Gibbes having a 4 week period with the squad after confirming he would see out the season are the two main instigators of the season revival.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

ColinM wrote:There was a two month period where:

Lele left
FOLK left
Jirrid steps in to help coach
McPhilips got his first start
Gibbes linked to Aussie job
The trial
6Ns break (4 weeks off)
Gibbes confirmed leaving but seeing out season
PJ & SO get the boot

For me FOLK FOLKing and Gibbes having a 4 week period with the squad after confirming he would see out the season are the two main instigators of the season revival.
when you put it like that Colin, it's FUBAR . What a disaster of a set up.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I admire your consistency chaps.

Re: Jono Gibbes - New Head Coach
by therealspratt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:20 pm
Gibbes would be an outstanding acquisition, did some excellent work at Connacht in developing their pool of forwards and seems to have gotten on well at Clermont.

by ColinM » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:20 pm
BR wrote:Would it be too much to assume that Maurice would not be coming to be a direct replacement for Doak and that Head Coach may be a more meaningful title from next season with Kiss concentrating on some of the other areas in which he does not have a proven record of failure?

Gibbes coming in as head coach, with a view to promotion to DoR after a year would make most sense.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

justinr73 wrote:I admire your consistency chaps.

Gibbes would be an outstanding acquisition, did some excellent work at Connacht in developing their pool of forwards and seems to have gotten on well at Clermont.

BR wrote:Would it be too much to assume that Maurice would not be coming to be a direct replacement for Doak and that Head Coach may be a more meaningful title from next season with Kiss concentrating on some of the other areas in which he does not have a proven record of failure?

Gibbes coming in as head coach, with a view to promotion to DoR after a year would make most sense.
Thanks for the compliment but if there is any other point being made I'm afraid its been lost.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

yeah, i don't get your point either Justypants.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote:I admire your consistency chaps.

Should have logged into your Rum'n account not Justin account :roll:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Apologies if I’ve lost anyone, but it’s understandable why someone who initially hailed Gibbes as the Messiah may be reluctant to admit that he’s nothing more than a naughty boy ......

We’ve gone backwards since he’s been at the club, particularly at the line out.

He’s been the constant and we were generally tom kite until April when events off the pitch galvanized the squad.

Not seen too many players shed any tears for him yet.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Look, we’ll never really know what the “improvement” all boileed down to and i susoect there were a few factors.

kiss leaving - the defence improved considerably after this. Of course it was a few weeks later, but totally understandable that Jared or whoever’s system took some time to implement. New defence coach and first role if it was indeed him. Anyway, it is the ine charge to be levelled at Kiss for which there can be no excuses.

The Gibbes Effect - now Jonno taking on the head role will have had some benefit BUT i am struggling to see how a coach who was a,ready taking charge if the forwards and said he was leaving, suddenly turned things around. Maybe some of the things they told us they had been working on all season actually did come to fruition towards the end and these were the fruits of it...finally.

The Internationals - seems like their return and certainly oresence around the place had some sort of galvanising effect, at a time when morale was at an all time low i suspect. And this is where i have some doubts about the Gibbes effect as what we were suffering from was also a complete lack of confidence, especially away from home.

The trial - looks like some of the stuff around this had a unifying effect on the squad and forced everyone to dig deep. If you look at it, pretty much everyone improved, rather than a few players suddenly being outstanding. That to me says this was a team effort which everyone bought into.

There is only so far a boss who is leaving is going to be able to motivate people so i thnk a lot of the turnaround in togetherness and attitude has come from within. Maybe all the criticism and negativity finally stung them.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote:Apologies if I’ve lost anyone, but it’s understandable why someone who initially hailed Gibbes as the Messiah may be reluctant to admit that he’s nothing more than a naughty boy ......

He’s been the constant and we were generally tom kite until April when events off the pitch galvanized the squad.

Justin - i think most people would have thought Gibbes coming was going to be a great bit of business. It has not turned put like that for a variety of reasons but i’d back anyone who initially thought it was a good appointment and something of a coup for us.
Anyway, let’s see how he does at whever he ends up.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

justinr73 wrote:Apologies if I’ve lost anyone, but it’s understandable why someone who initially hailed Gibbes as the Messiah may be reluctant to admit that he’s nothing more than a naughty boy ......

You're a bit of an oddun'.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Kiss micromanaged everything. Coaches were not able to coach.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The improvement may be down to a couple of factors

1 Kiss leaving and the abandoning of a Rugby League approach and the recognition of roles in defence and attack .

2 Return of Best and Henderson after the 6 nations

3 - a possible realisation that we can’t rely on management ( Ulster and IRF U ) to cure the situation after Paddy and Stuart got the heave , we the players have to do it ourselves despite everything

4 McPhillips played to a much higher standard than most thought possible ( and that could include his team mates ) and in doing so provided that little bit of motivation necessary — to lift those round him .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist