Ulster Squad 2019/20

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Squad 2019/20

Post by Setanta »

I would imagine that's from a Leinster supporter!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Are they saying that, if both are not in contention for Ireland places, they will head overseas and have a few years on a big salary? I hope it's not true, but if I was in their position, I might head off to France or wherever. A rugby career is short and this is what professionalism is all about. Would either have any reason to feel loyalty to Ulster?
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Depends on what makes them tick.

To be fair, if either move abroad their international careers are over. JMcG has really only just arrived & been periodically injured. He needs a good run to get his top form back to assess whether he has an international future - clearly he is behind Healy & kilcoyne however an injury or too can change things quickly! He ain’t far off!!
Also having a upheaval after prob only just settling in Ulster can’t be desirable. UR is going places, exciting young squad, clever coaching ticket, punching above their weight & only gonna get better. Plenty of game time when fit, big squad player. I’m calling bullshit. Can’t imagine he’d want to leave, or UR would want him too.

Nordi again, pretty all the above points above apply to him. He’d have had more game time at WC if he didn’t pop a rib - he ain’t far off. To be fair I’ll pay more attention when 6ns squad is picked.

2 yrs time? Maybe both players fancy time abroad if int futures not realistic, or things have changed at UR but even then it all has to fit with private lives.

Genuinely I believe UR is on an exciting journey, being a big team player must be attractive. Leinster are top class, but I always look at the fit non selected squad players in suits in the stands & think why is this enough for you?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

solidarity wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 pm Are they saying that, if both are not in contention for Ireland places, they will head overseas and have a few years on a big salary? I hope it's not true, but if I was in their position, I might head off to France or wherever. A rugby career is short and this is what professionalism is all about. Would either have any reason to feel loyalty to Ulster?
That’s it in a nutshell.

They’ve both got big decisions to make.

Jordi has got more competition than Jack for an Ireland spot, albeit he’s a couple of years younger.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I am disappointed that nobody has yet suggested that the non-selection of McGrath and Nordi is part of an IRFU conspiracy to drive them abroad and away from Ulster.

Just as we were getting good ‘an all.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:49 pm
solidarity wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 pm Are they saying that, if both are not in contention for Ireland places, they will head overseas and have a few years on a big salary? I hope it's not true, but if I was in their position, I might head off to France or wherever. A rugby career is short and this is what professionalism is all about. Would either have any reason to feel loyalty to Ulster?
That’s it in a nutshell.

They’ve both got big decisions to make.

Jordi has got more competition than Jack for an Ireland spot, albeit he’s a couple of years younger.
That’s about the height of it. They moved purely to get game time for increasing their international prospects. If that primary goal is no longer achievable then I’d see them either:

1. Move back to home province where you have allegiance, and be at home with family and friends and live off the odd match here and there on similar wages - but home.

2. Think about boosting earnings in the short time left in a rugby career and head off foreign.

Wouldn’t hold a grudge to them if they went either way. It’s what any one of us would be thinking of if it that situation.

My worry is how long will Cooney hang around once he is in the Ireland jersey. Why wouldn’t he then want to move home to his true province where he’s much much more likely to win trophies and if he’s starting for Ireland he would naturally be 1st choice for his province.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Well I am taking it. As Fake news until I hear differently
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Ringer
Novice

Post by Ringer »

[/quote]

My worry is how long will Cooney hang around once he is in the Ireland jersey. Why wouldn’t he then want to move home to his true province where he’s much much more likely to win trophies and if he’s starting for Ireland he would naturally be 1st choice for his province.
[/quote]

Cooney has two more seasons on his contract after this one and by all accounts is very happy living in Belfast and goes above and beyond his UR duties in engaging in local community initiatives. He has also been able to buy a property which would have been unaffordable in Dublin.

Aside from that, there is very little precedent for Ireland first choice players moving province, I cant think of many beyond Robbie Henshaw.

The position with McGrath and Murphy is different. If McGrath is coming off a central contract at the end of the season is may be difficult to compete financially with what is on offer in England or France, but then its a question of whether he still harbours ambitions of getting back into the Ireland side. He was just starting to show some form prior to his injury.

The fear with Murphy is that he hasn't been included in the 45 by Farrell because he hasn't committed to a new contract with Ulster, or has signed to go elsewhere and we just haven't been told about it yet.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It's an interesting one.

I don't believe that Addison has signed up yet.

Jordi's just just got engaged. His other half is from Co Dublin.

I got the impression when he signed that he had one eye on a Leinster return after the end of his two years with Ulster, although he must have been aware of all the lads coming through the ranks.

In saying that, he was only saying as recently as 7 December how he loved it in Belfast.

McGrath may have been left out because he's injured, like Conan. I think there are only 2 LHs included.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

A one day get-together is really not a great indicator in many respects some of those included could be couple of seasons away from a full squad selection -- some old hands might just be there to have their minds plumbed as to what they think went wrong in Japan .

The group selected for 6 nations will be indicative but a big but some players will be included this year who won't be there next year.

It also must be borne in mind that Andy might have left some off the list because a squad size greater than 45 would mean the objectives of the get-together would be unachievable and he already knows the players .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He obviously can't pick every IQ player in the world but there are plenty of players selected in that 45 that he already knows.

Of the players that are missing that aren't injured, the other big names are Kearney, Sean Cronin, Jack Carty and Kieran Marmion.

The first two would probably be done at international level and the second two are currently second choice at their province.

Which leaves the curious case of Jordi Murphy.....
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

If jordi leaves, good luck to him - he’ll have honoured his contract, and helped UR in a time of pretty big need. Personally I don’t see the move. Leinster really don’t need him with the youngsters coming through, and frankly if he wants to play week in & out - that’s more likely at UR, not Leinster & where he can be integral to the side for another 2/3 yrs.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Sure.

It would make more sense for him to try England or France if he fancies a move.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

General question re budget, how much is it, & what’s the makeup. What do we get from the IRFU? What do we raise re match day revenue, sponsorship, do we have benefactors?

With the hit in attendances since PJ & SO - what money realistically have we got to resign some of these players?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Provided a player is Irish qualified in my opinion the money would be available ( as long as they desire to play for Ulster )

Money for non Irish qualified might be another story !!!
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist