2015 - The General Election - Discussion Forum

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

2015 - The General Election - Discussion Forum

Post by shamalicious »

Probably getting racist abuse.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 2015 - The General Election - Discussion Forum

Post by Russ »

Sad to see. He was the only decent one

Thon bucko on QT last night was a closet Kipper
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:Sad to see. He was the only decent one

Thon bucko on QT last night was a closet Kipper
He is very charasmatic both also fairly Blairite with his "blue labour" crap...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Once a Knight wrote:His problem was that in order to show himself as the "common man" he had to open up and show himself to the public. Mildly amusing at the start but then you realise he's a one dimensional bore who deep down is an egotistical knob.
I know someone who was at school with Farage and he said if there had have been a competition in the class for "the boy most likely to be a right wing egotistical politician" it was pretty obvious who it would have been. Farage covered his books, schoolbags and the like with his initials. Normal for school, you may think, except Farage did it in the style of the National Front logo... :roll:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

mikerob wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:His problem was that in order to show himself as the "common man" he had to open up and show himself to the public. Mildly amusing at the start but then you realise he's a one dimensional bore who deep down is an egotistical knob.
I know someone who was at school with Farage and he said if there had have been a competition in the class for "the boy most likely to be a right wing egotistical politician" it was pretty obvious who it would have been. Farage covered his books, schoolbags and the like with his initials. Normal for school, you may think, except Farage did it in the style of the National Front logo... :roll:
Very telling. He would be the right age. There were a few numpties in my year who were quite taken with the NF. Actually shocked to discover I am older than Nige. :shock: Probably wouldn't be a shock to the casual observer but I see him as part of an older generation.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... olboy.html

In the letter, dated 4 June 1981, Chloe Deakin, a teacher, told her colleagues: “You will recall that at the recent, and lengthy, meeting about the selection of prefects, the remark by a colleague that Farage was ‘a fascist, but perhaps that was no reason why he would not make a good prefect’ invoked considerable reaction from members of the Common Room."

:lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

bazzaj wrote:Wasn't taking the p rory but genuinely admire people who committed themselves to further education.
Especially in a subject like politics which must have been tough going.

Fair enough! :thumleft:

You have to like whatever you're doing; I could have picked a more employable degree (most of my housemates did Mechanical Engineering) but would have crashed and burned within 18 months . . .
It's the hope that kills you.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:
mikerob wrote:
Do you know what? That really doesn't surprise me in the least. He'd be that type alright.
I know most of you don't take your political temperature from the waffle of Russell Brand, so I doubt you will favour the views of grumpy Manc, Noel Gallagher either, but a quick look at this & you mightn't think he's a bad judge of a politician.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02 ... 96302.html
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Once a Knight wrote:
shamalicious wrote:Probably getting racist abuse.
Have you any basis for that?

My view is that he's a clever young man who looked at the reality of it and realised that the next labour leader is bound to fail. It's at least two elections before labour has any prospect of forming a Government. He's young, has a life, and can wait. I don't think he fancied being the William Hague of the Labour Party.
No, no basis at all - I did say "probably". I just wouldn't put it past a lot of little Englanders to do something like that.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

shamalicious wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
shamalicious wrote:Probably getting racist abuse.
Have you any basis for that?

My view is that he's a clever young man who looked at the reality of it and realised that the next labour leader is bound to fail. It's at least two elections before labour has any prospect of forming a Government. He's young, has a life, and can wait. I don't think he fancied being the William Hague of the Labour Party.
No, no basis at all - I did say "probably". I just wouldn't put it past a lot of little Englanders to do something like that.
Some blog criticised him for not being married. I've also heard rumours of some story coming...probably in the right wing press.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
mikerob wrote:
Do you know what? That really doesn't surprise me in the least. He'd be that type alright.
I know most of you don't take your political temperature from the waffle of Russell Brand, so I doubt you will favour the views of grumpy Manc, Noel Gallagher either, but a quick look at this & you mightn't think he's a bad judge of a politician.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02 ... 96302.html
I quite like Noel Gallagher and his music. He talks a lot of sense at times and total twaddle at other times, but you know where you stand with Noel. Brand is on a similar level to Farage, all mouth and no trousers.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

A bit late I know but lets try starting a brief discussion on this weekends Turkish Election. Useful information for those of you not up to scratch on Turkish politics - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_ge ... tion,_2015
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Meanwhile back in the UK, we are now seeing the Tories putting some flesh on the bones that wasn't visible before the vote.

I'm leaving before the next election however the rest of you can enjoy ever more swingeing cuts for the next few years as Gideon follows his policy that has never worked in the long history of the planet. An extra 4.5 Billion I believe on top of the existing 12 or 13 Bn.

Double lovely.

Meanwhile unrelenting joy for those with shares in the armaments industries, you must be so proud, topping up your wealth whilst Saudi Arabia arms the medieval ISIS - they don't just use swords you know & the slingshots went out of fashion when Goliath's big brother bought his first crash helmet. Other despotic regimes are available & we are arming them too - either directly or indirectly whilst pretending to have an embargo.

Still money makes the world go round apparently - in a most delightful way. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Wasn't taking the p rory but genuinely admire people who committed themselves to further education.
Especially in a subject like politics which must have been tough going.

Fair enough! :thumleft:

You have to like whatever you're doing; I could have picked a more employable degree (most of my housemates did Mechanical Engineering) but would have crashed and burned within 18 months . . .
I think this is where the 'Arts' get a bit of a hard time. A degree in History, English, Politics and the like provide the student with an in depth ability to think critically, analyse and present their ideas on a coherent and convincing manner.

It opens one to a wide range of career possibilities provided the person themselves has had suitable other 'life' and 'work' experiences and hasn't solely done a degree in the 3-4 years between leaving school and graduating.

I think Business degrees are no more worthwhile than an Arts degree for example.

In terms of more 'vocational' degrees-Engineering, Law, Medicine and the like that's all well and good provided you wish to follow down that path after graduation.

I know a lot of friends kids who did Law and Engineering only to graduate around 2008-2010 when jobs were at a premium and many ended up having to go down less vocational routes or slog it out as de facto interns on minimum wage to get 'experience' to try and pursue a career.

This would all be caveated by the generalisation that nearly every man and his dog now has an undergraduate degree in something and that jobs have never been more competitive so the need to go above and beyond the 'degree' has never been so relevant. Summer placements, extra curricular, sport, volunteering, Masters Degrees, travelling (not just getting rat arsed).

I would envy young people trying to get a job out of Uni nowadays.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BuckRogers wrote: I would envy young people trying to get a job out of Uni nowadays.
You could extend that to, any kids trying to get a job these days. Plenty about if you are happy on minimum wage & a you'll work as & if you are required basis.

Better a plumber than a law graduate these days. Better a hairdresser FFS, jobs that will always be with us unless bald becomes the new black.

I'm moving out, a man with a plan and setting up a business for my kids. DIY - the way to go. :thumleft:

Education is a wonderful thing, but it's less wonderful than it used to be in regards to employment. :roll: