Ulster V Castres: Stream

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

interlooter
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster V Castres: Stream

Post by interlooter »

View from the dressing room (on BBC)
Ulster coach Mark Anscombe:

"We were very flat in the first half, we kept giving the ball away and couldn't get our lineout going.

"It wasn't pretty. They don't make it easy for you but the character of the guys saw us through in the end.

"I said at half-time that if we get the ball and play some rugby, work on that and be patient, opportunities would come.

"We couldn't come here and expect to score four tries, but there were opportunities and holes in Castres."

hope the lads over in france take note of this last line tonight >EW
if a pig loses it's voice, is it disgruntled?
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

One simple thought. If Chris Henry is not an automatic shoe in for the Irish side then we will know beyond doubt where Declans rugby brain really is and I dont dare to say where.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Big-al wrote:Wallace ... was woeful for 60minutes.
Paddy had a shocker back in round 4, made countless knock ons.
The world and his wife know you want Paddy out of the way so Luke can take over. When you beat the same drum incessantly your protestations lose credibility and are no more correct. Paddy missed a couple of tackles, but he played well otherwise and creates a lot of space for others. It’s a close call between him and Luke now, but not the chasm that you suggest.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Big-al wrote:Wallace ... was woeful for 60minutes.
Paddy had a shocker back in round 4, made countless knock ons.
The world and his wife know you want Paddy out of the way so Luke can take over. When you beat the same drum incessantly your protestations lose credibility and are no more correct. Paddy missed a couple of tackles, but he played well otherwise and creates a lot of space for others. It’s a close call between him and Luke now, but not the chasm that you suggest.
So it is clear that Paddy is not effective when faced with HUGE 12s, coupled with 10s that are not afraid to run at the 12, and 13s, 14s and 15s, who are all HUGE.

Paddy is great when he doesn't have 6 beasts against him
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

It's nothing to do with who his main competitor is, Snipe. That's pathetic arguement. If you think he played OK then fair enough. I don't.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Big-al wrote:It's nothing to do with who his main competitor is, Snipe. That's pathetic arguement. If you think he played OK then fair enough. I don't.
The point is that you never do. You can't see past Luke.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

As well as some sloppy play PW also created some of our better opportunities. 60 mins not great, 20 mins quite good day is probably fair. He has been consistent over 80 mins all season though and we should be all grown up enough to know a squad needs two front liners and a backup for a seasons shift
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

I think that Pienaars disaster show at 10 had an obvious impact upon Wallace, the whole backline looked like they'd just met up last night for the first 50 minutes. The only concern I'd really have is Wallace's physicality, since the Saints away game he has been poor enough in defence.

Gilroys hit on Garvey coming at his inside shoulder was potentially a match saver, good cameo at 15 from him.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Not a great game or a great performance but it doesn't matter one bit. Ulster got a vital win in France and have a very good chance of nabbing that home quarter final spot.

Congratulations and well done to Ulster.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

I know there are still a few games remaining, but it looks more and more likely that we will be playing Mark McCalls Saracens whither that be home or away.....good win today without Muller, Tuohy, Williams, Ferris, Payne and Bowe
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rooster wrote:
troupe86 wrote:To be honest, I didn't see Ulster topping the group when it was drawn. They have shown doggedness to get this far.
Neither did the bookies as it started at 25:1 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :cheers:
Seriously?? Ulster were 25-1 to top THAT group? I am totally amazed by that (and also incredibly jealous Rooster!! ). I'd have thought Saints and Ulster would have been the bookies clear favourites to top the group, given what Ulster acheived last season and the fact that neither Castres nor Glasgow have any real H Cup pedigree.

If it had been the previous season when we had Tigers and Clermont then maybe 25-1 but I'm truly astounded that someone quoted that price this year, as I recall a fair number of pundits backing us to top the group (well apart from Stephen Jones of course :lol: ).

Anyway, well done Rooster!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Bart S wrote:
Rooster wrote:
troupe86 wrote:To be honest, I didn't see Ulster topping the group when it was drawn. They have shown doggedness to get this far.
Neither did the bookies as it started at 25:1 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :cheers:
Seriously?? Ulster were 25-1 to top THAT group? I am totally amazed by that (and also incredibly jealous Rooster!! ). I'd have thought Saints and Ulster would have been the bookies clear favourites to top the group, given what Ulster acheived last season and the fact that neither Castres nor Glasgow have any real H Cup pedigree.

If it had been the previous season when we had Tigers and Clermont then maybe 25-1 but I'm truly astounded that someone quoted that price this year, as I recall a fair number of pundits backing us to top the group (well apart from Stephen Jones of course :lol: ).

Anyway, well done Rooster!
They had Saints as hot favourites, then after about a week it had gone way down on the odds don't know whether it was an error on their part as we were same odds to win competition outright, anyway they have paid out >happyparty >crazy1 enough to take me to the quarters.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I'd be 100% certain it was an error on the part of the bookie (insert "crocodile tears" smiley!) especially if we were the same odds to win the comp.

Anyway, well done you

ps. Tell the rest of us next time!! :D