Charlie Hebdo

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Charlie Hebdo

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:

I guess what I'm saying is "gee guys, can we all not agree to disagree, and get along getting along with each other"? :lol:

Arra will ya ever feck off with yer "gee guys". When did you become a yank?

Still though AWESOME ideology. >EW :lol: :lol:
Yes, so much so I'm thinking of getting a flight to Syria next week & suggest it to ISIS. :sunny:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shan wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
I didn't read it overly Baggy. There's a horrible sense of déjà vu all over again when a thread goes this way. It's just really sad that posters who get on will fall out over this or upset each other over this when in reality all it takes is for them to simply accept that whilst they have their views other people have different and equally deeply held views. It's almost like there's more importance attached to being "right" and "winning" than being tolerant and respectful so we all "win".
Agreed. I tried everything I could to raise this above the irrelevant stating of one's beliefs and personal opinions and the equally irrelevant stating of one's disdain for other's beliefs and opinions. However it is very difficult to engage folk in that type of debate as humans are by nature driven by their emotions and are content to allow that emotion to override everything else. To be fair if everybody was capable of achieving a high level of compartmentalisation it would rather hinder debate, some of which can be quite fun and some of which is of course akin to having a woodpecker tapping at one's temple. :D

Be advised I am not trying to suggest I am devoid of emotion or claiming I am entirely satisfied with my own ability to compartmentalise as effectively as I'd like.

Be also advised I'm reasonably satisfied with my ability to speak and write incredible amounts of ballix. :lol:
Shan I agree ideologically in what you say, but I don't feel that it is irrelevant to express disdain for other's beliefs, when (for us in Northern Ireland) such religious beliefs pervade our lives through legislation, uses of taxpaying money, organisational policy etc. Within this context I often take the opportunity to discredit the veracity of these beliefs, whether it achieves anything is another matter. Although I did point out a few weeks back that as an agnostic I feel the God vs no-God argument is pointless, since we have no way to measure and record the existence of God. Many debates on the internet in general are repetitive, largely pointless but sometimes new learning can occur and perspectives can be influenced in small ways or least better understood.

I also agree in essence that emotions drive our behaviour, and by the time a decision comes to our conscious thinking our mind is already made up. There are of course many psychological aspects that motivate our behaviour, and emotions play a large part, but they in turn are also affected by other aspects such as cognition and perception. These psychological aspects are also intrinsically interconnected with our physical bodies, social and cultural identity and sense of spirituality. All these aspects of the whole person together drive our behaviour. The point being that it is quite difficult to compartmentalise all these aspects. The way I see it to maintain a sense of balance is to be self-aware, or at least try to be, of these different aspects and how they are fundamentally linked. Mindfully aware of the effects of what we say and do, on ourselves mostly as well as those around us.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Oh FFS, some mad mentalist ballixes have stolen/vandalised a statue of a Celtic Sea God leaving a cross inscribed with 'You shall have no other gods before me'.

And some of you wonder why your brethren are ridiculed. :duh: :duh: :duh:
This sums the hypocrisy of religion up perfectly. I believe there is another commandment about not stealing, but sure let's disregard that one.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackie Brown wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Oh FFS, some mad mentalist ballixes have stolen/vandalised a statue of a Celtic Sea God leaving a cross inscribed with 'You shall have no other gods before me'.

And some of you wonder why your brethren are ridiculed. :duh: :duh: :duh:
This sums the hypocrisy of religion up perfectly. I believe there is another commandment about not stealing, but sure let's disregard that one.
Probably shagged someone's wife on the way home as well
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I have been considering setting up The Fundamentalist Church of Lightning McQueen and writing a strongly worded letter of complaint to Disney Pixar if they continue to defile his holy image. May his tyres be grippy.

These bloody cartoonists don't know when to stop.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Since Dawkins came up on this thread, this video is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1 ... W7607YiBso
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:Since Dawkins came up on this thread, this video is hilarious:

Great stuff Dave.

Even better than the last batch.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote: Shan I agree ideologically in what you say, but I don't feel that it is irrelevant to express disdain for other's beliefs, when (for us in Northern Ireland) such religious beliefs pervade our lives through legislation, uses of taxpaying money, organisational policy etc. Within this context I often take the opportunity to discredit the veracity of these beliefs, whether it achieves anything is another matter. Although I did point out a few weeks back that as an agnostic I feel the God vs no-God argument is pointless, since we have no way to measure and record the existence of God. Many debates on the internet in general are repetitive, largely pointless but sometimes new learning can occur and perspectives can be influenced in small ways or least better understood.

I also agree in essence that emotions drive our behaviour, and by the time a decision comes to our conscious thinking our mind is already made up. There are of course many psychological aspects that motivate our behaviour, and emotions play a large part, but they in turn are also affected by other aspects such as cognition and perception. These psychological aspects are also intrinsically interconnected with our physical bodies, social and cultural identity and sense of spirituality. All these aspects of the whole person together drive our behaviour. The point being that it is quite difficult to compartmentalise all these aspects. The way I see it to maintain a sense of balance is to be self-aware, or at least try to be, of these different aspects and how they are fundamentally linked. Mindfully aware of the effects of what we say and do, on ourselves mostly as well as those around us.
Dave,

Agreed on the point about the repitition and largely pointless but also I do agree that sometimes some items of value can be unearthed. I wasn't saying it is irrelevant to state beliefs or disdain of belief in a general sense- just that it is irrelevant, or rather it should be, in relation to determining laws of a state.

Again it is really very simple for me- I cannot feel it is right and proper for me to deny any person freedom and equality just because I have my own personal values in relation to some contentious subjects. My values and views are therefore irrelevant to that subject.

Agree on the second paragraph.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote:Since Dawkins came up on this thread, this video is hilarious:

Very funny.

One thing though- It is quite scary to think there are people out there who do actually think like some of the letter writers. There is no doubt that they exist, however small in number and that number is probably a lot bigger than I'd like to think it is.

I can get my head around a lot of things in relation to belief / non-belief but I simply cannot understand how anybody could have any attraction for a vindictive, violent and evil supreme being. I mean if somebody locked a person in a dungeon for 20 years and beat them every day I can't see myself defending, honouring and worshipping that person, yet there's many folk who salivate over and adore a being they believe will sentence a person to this, not just for 20 years but for eternity. It beggars belief and despite the fact I am not one for mocking, in the case of folk who genuinely get turned on by these thoughts I make an exception. They deserve nothing but mocking and public humiliation and that is being extremely kind to them.....
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Correct Shan, it should be irrelevant, sadly in this septic wee statelet there are too many on the lunatic fringes of religious cults who have a scary input into Laws being made it is quite horrific.

Mainly the DUP of course, the Shinners doubtless have their own foibles but I've yet to hear them bringing religion into policy in as open a way as some of the aswipes in DUP colours. They suck balls in a huge way though one or two of the newer breed appear less Old Testament driven.

Anyway, just in case there are a cabal of DUP freaks here
homophobe.jpg
homophobe.jpg (66.42 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Yeah Baggy- Here is one of the twáts who thinks that because he and his alleged constituents are anti-equality that it is OK because their "traditional Christian values" tell them it is OK to be so. Nice to see that sad f-cker being caught by the snaps trying to lie. I wonder if lying is also part of HIS traditional values. The fact that his father was one of the most hate-filled and dangerous violence-inducing c-nts to ever have infected Ireland is no excuse for his w-nkery either in my view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldfvp4_brTQ
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Shan wrote:Yeah Baggy- Here is one of the twáts who thinks that because he and his alleged constituents are anti-equality that it is OK because their "traditional Christian values" tell them it is OK to be so. Nice to see that sad f-cker being caught by the snaps trying to lie. I wonder if lying is also part of HIS traditional values. The fact that his father was one of the most hate-filled and dangerous violence-inducing c-nts to ever have infected Ireland is no excuse for his w-nkery either in my view.

Wish Dimblebot pulled him up for his "marriage is about procreation" gumph. Does that mean heterosexual couples who aren't able to have kids should have their marriages rescinded and be frowned upon? Wee Ian will use any old excuse to back up his "Christian" claims to allow him to openly be a b1got.

The saddest part of what he said was that he's probably right in saying the majority of his constituents agree with him in this backwards hole we live in.

Fecker.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Yeah, this is the man who made his remarks about homosexuals disgusting him when he was our minister for equality - only in Norn Iron, in any self-respecting country in the world he would have been forced to resign instantly :roll:

If we had a conscience clause here to allow me to bypass the word censor, I could properly describe him as a ># hateful piece of ># trash the best part of whom slipped down his mothers leg at birth and who has repeatedly shown himself to be a ># wee ># of a man.

Since we don't have that facility I'll just have to say he is just another DUP lowlife who is a disgrace to even a disgraced occupation like politics.

Lang may his lum fail to reek.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

shamalicious wrote:
Shan wrote:Yeah Baggy- Here is one of the twáts who thinks that because he and his alleged constituents are anti-equality that it is OK because their "traditional Christian values" tell them it is OK to be so. Nice to see that sad f-cker being caught by the snaps trying to lie. I wonder if lying is also part of HIS traditional values. The fact that his father was one of the most hate-filled and dangerous violence-inducing c-nts to ever have infected Ireland is no excuse for his w-nkery either in my view.

Wish Dimblebot pulled him up for his "marriage is about procreation" gumph. Does that mean heterosexual couples who aren't able to have kids should have their marriages rescinded and be frowned upon? Wee Ian will use any old excuse to back up his "Christian" claims to allow him to openly be a b1got.

The saddest part of what he said was that he's probably right in saying the majority of his constituents agree with him in this backwards hole we live in.

Fecker.
Shammy, idiots like him don't expect people, constituents or otherwise to be able to analyze his bullshit and turn it back on him. In fairness to vote DUP most must actually be that stupid.

For the avoidance of doubt, I cast my own vote for an independent who has kept lowlifes from gaining North Down for the DUP, Gawd Bless Ya Lady Hermon. She sealed her place in my affections when she left Nesbitt's shower saying she could not be part of any party who would come to an arrangement with David Cameron :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: - g'wan Sylvia darling, you speaka ma language, specially the time you gave Bob McCartney a bitumen sandwich. :thumleft:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

shamalicious wrote:

Only seeing this now Sham. Spot on. I actually laugh these days, rather than cringe or cry when I hear this "argument" about procreation being spouted. It is such a blanket for raging homophobia it is pathetically mirth-inducing. I especially love the folk who then change the goalposts about 1million kilometres when any sane, sensible and reasonably intelligent individual points out the fact that procreation is neither mandatory nor possible for all current marriages.

I much prefer the honest person who simply says "I do not agree that every person in a free and civilised society is entitled to equality on the basis that I believe that I, and society collectively, should have the right to deny any and all rights from anyone I, or we, deem not to deserve them or need them" or if the want to summarise for this subject "I don't want those uppity gays having the same rights as I have". Either is fine and entirely honest. You then know what you are dealing with and that they are entirely impervious to dispassionate and reasonable disputation.