Sale v Ulster Sunday 11th December 1pm KO BT Sport 2 / beIN SPORTS / Super Sport / FloRugby

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Sale v Ulster Sunday 11th December 1pm KO BT Sport 2 / beIN SPORTS / Super Sport / FloRugby

Post by Bart S »

People getting misty eyed over McGlock.

He didn't win anything despite having 3 world cup winners, 3 grand slam winners and a triple super rugby winner in the spine of his starting team from 1-9. Our squad depth below the 1st xv was non-existent, hence why the starting xv played the full 80 minutes against Munster in the QF.

His rugby coaching career post Ulster isn't exactly dazzling.

Anscombe came closer to actually winning something by topping the league and getting a "home" final, which was played against leinster at the RDS. I doubt many want him back.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Sale v Ulster Sunday 11th December 1pm KO BT Sport 2 / beIN SPORTS / Super Sport / FloRugby

Post by Bart S »

I am as hacked off as everyone else about the performances over the past couple of weeks and also worried. Players don't become bad overnight and it's not very long ago that Hime was being lauded as the form centre in Ireland (some achievement when considering the calibre of others), Timoney was impressing for Ireland and pushing Conan for a bench spot against the Aussies and people were up in arms about Doak's non-selection for the Ireland squad.

I wouldn't be writing any of these guys, nor Rob Baloucoune (still think he's the best winger in Ireland), Lowry, Moore and McIlroy off. With them I am more concerned about the mental side and confidence to get their form back. I don't think Burns is or ever has been good enough to be 1st choice 10 and Stockdale hasn't regained form since around 2019, with his weaknesses not having been addressed and being regularly exposed.

Dan and the players have enough credit in the bank to not be dismissed as no-hopers right now, but something needs to change pretty quickly. The defence is a real concern and the stats don't lie.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Bart S wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:18 am I am as hacked off as everyone else about the performances over the past couple of weeks and also worried. Players don't become bad overnight and it's not very long ago that Hime was being lauded as the form centre in Ireland (some achievement when considering the calibre of others), Timoney was impressing for Ireland and pushing Conan for a bench spot against the Aussies and people were up in arms about Doak's non-selection for the Ireland squad.

I wouldn't be writing any of these guys, nor Rob Baloucoune (still think he's the best winger in Ireland), Lowry, Moore and McIlroy off. With them I am more concerned about the mental side and confidence to get their form back. I don't think Burns is or ever has been good enough to be 1st choice 10 and Stockdale hasn't regained form since around 2019, with his weaknesses not having been addressed and being regularly exposed.

Dan and the players have enough credit in the bank to not be dismissed as no-hopers right now, but something needs to change pretty quickly. The defence is a real concern and the stats don't lie.
I get where you are coming from Bart, but I think we are prone to blowing too much smoke up arses sometimes. All the talk of Hume being the form centre in Ireland, Timoney being great, Bobby B being the best winger etc. What have they got to show for it? Diddly squat. Not even a silver medal in the medal drawer at home.

A lot of these great performances were against URC dross and that means almost nothing. I'm not saying these lads are actually crap, they clearly are not, but as a team we are not as good as we think we are, and this will remain the case so long as we lack the right mentality. There is a cultural problem at the club.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

And that is (some of) the problem. Ulster's great players got their chance in various capacities with Ireland , to show that D4 has been ignoring them. And they failed.

Few weeks later - chance to prove a point v Leinster - Fail

Following week - European cup - closest thing to test rugby - Fail

Players dread career ending injuries. What we've seen this autumn is career ending performances.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

Of the 20 teams in the Champions Cup this weekend just gone 19 managed to get to their game without major delay and an associated shocker of a performance. Of the 20 teams in the Champions Cup this weekend coming there are 19 who I have yet to read about making a decision in the next 24 hours about switching the game 2 hours down the road due to a frozen pitch…seems like we’ve learned nothing.

https://twitter.com/indosport/status/16 ... 9pF_uPJB-A
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

D’Arcy in the Irish Times today, his White Line article. Well worth a read, reminded me of an enema, not particularly enjoyable but badly needed.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Am closing off on my comments on the Sale collapse with just one more personal irk, as it is only a bloody game of rugby after all, but watching the players clap Sale off, to see JH making a quip that made ND laugh out loud, sorry sir, not on, not after that, wise the feck up and knuckle down, you reap what you sow.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Marco wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:50 am Am closing off on my comments on the Sale collapse with just one more personal irk, as it is only a bloody game of rugby after all, but watching the players clap Sale off, to see JH making a quip that made ND laugh out loud, sorry sir, not on, not after that, wise the feck up and knuckle down, you reap what you sow.
Caption competition anyone?

“How do you fancy Ibiza next September? Mikey and Nick booked it at half time.”

“Best stay off Twitter for a few days Doaky”.

“That old bloke is trying to get on the pitch again”.

“Did you see how many tries Worcester conceded last season?”

“There are more Saffers here than Cape Town”.

“Do you reckon anyone will remember to cover the pitch at Ravers?”
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

"People think I'm better than Ringrose"
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:37 am "People think I'm better than Ringrose"
And we have a winner :cheers: :lol:
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

BR wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:11 am And that is (some of) the problem. Ulster's great players got their chance in various capacities with Ireland , to show that D4 has been ignoring them. And they failed.

Few weeks later - chance to prove a point v Leinster - Fail

Following week - European cup - closest thing to test rugby - Fail

Players dread career ending injuries. What we've seen this autumn is career ending performances.
Exactly.

If you are Andy Farrell, what you have learnt the past few weeks is that if Ireland are in the trenches in some big World Cup game, don't be looking at the Ulster players to get you out of it.

The problem I have is this has been a problem for so long, it predates the current squad, that there has to be some underlying systemic cultural problem. Is training of a high enough standard? Are players pushed hard enough? Are the review sessions serious enough? Is there a ruthless culture of sidelining dead wood?

We even see problems in games we are winning. How many times have we failed to put away teams when we get a lead? Complacency comes in.

We are mentally weak.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

richardt84 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:24 am Of the 20 teams in the Champions Cup this weekend just gone 19 managed to get to their game without major delay and an associated shocker of a performance. Of the 20 teams in the Champions Cup this weekend coming there are 19 who I have yet to read about making a decision in the next 24 hours about switching the game 2 hours down the road due to a frozen pitch…seems like we’ve learned nothing.

https://twitter.com/indosport/status/16 ... 9pF_uPJB-A
Well that's not true. Leinster had issues and did them no harm.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Marco wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:50 am Am closing off on my comments on the Sale collapse with just one more personal irk, as it is only a bloody game of rugby after all, but watching the players clap Sale off, to see JH making a quip that made ND laugh out loud, sorry sir, not on, not after that, wise the feck up and knuckle down, you reap what you sow.
To be fair - POC addresses this sort of thing in his book. He says he has found it hard to explain , but when after the match and while you are still together as a team, you can ignore it - have a beer and some crack. It adds to the 'hangover' when you have to face reality the next day, but you still do it, because otherwise you couldn't continue.

Now, I'm sure nobody is questioning POC's commitment, so I'll accept what he says. I do however wonder if our players have the same fear of losing and fear of letting the province down that POC describes. Are their hangovers as bad? Maybe it isn't great, if it is so intense that you are physically yaking your bickies, but at least it demonstrates how much it means.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Exactly.

I remember when we got rolled over for 32 at Bury Grammar in the first year and quacked repeatedly as our middle and lower order took it in turns to troop back to the pavilion without a run to their name.

The teacher bollocked us afterwards though.

I made 5 opening the batting, all from edges, and got the arm of my glasses broken (there was still the blood of their number 11 on the pitch).

Dunno who the groundsman was but I reckon he must have worked at Sabina Park at some point.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

BR wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:03 pm
To be fair - POC addresses this sort of thing in his book. He says he has found it hard to explain , but when after the match and while you are still together as a team, you can ignore it - have a beer and some crack. It adds to the 'hangover' when you have to face reality the next day, but you still do it, because otherwise you couldn't continue.

Now, I'm sure nobody is questioning POC's commitment, so I'll accept what he says. I do however wonder if our players have the same fear of losing and fear of letting the province down that POC describes. Are their hangovers as bad? Maybe it isn't great, if it is so intense that you are physically yaking your bickies, but at least it demonstrates how much it means.
Cheers for that, I'd missed that and did read his book, POC is a God in my book so I'll take it.