Other Pro 12 16/17

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Other Pro 12 16/17

Post by damianmcr »

Zebre are gone?

I wouldn't be against a German side if its in place of an Italian team.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

damianmcr wrote:Zebre are gone?

Something about having to pay for 2 weekends in Belfast

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I read somewhere last week that Zebre were likely to be replaced by a team based in Rome, the USA is not news but USA & Canada is, could be useful for them on the same lines as Jaguares in SR. Germany? FFFS Spain are much better. If you think Italy is weak just let's see the Germans Spanish Portuguese or whatever.

I tell you this for nothing, the only teams joining should be there only on the basis of what sponsorship can they bring to make up for being as much use as t1ts on a boar, this league doesn't need more passengers to discredit it, it needs money.

Results last year in RWC year and the havoc wrought by injuries in Ireland & Wales made the PRO12 SDC record appalling, this year with Munster & Leinster skulling teams & Weegies double rape of Tigers added to Ospreys dominating the Parker pen and likely winners of it, the quality of the PRO12 is showing through just as it did last time a Lions team had to be selected. We are just as good as the other leagues, half good, half shyte.

It needs money, it does not need teams worse than the Italians. Furthermore I would be in favour of less games on the basis that we have too many games played at mucher lower strength, albeit you get the odd belter like last Saturday, it does nothing for the perception that the league is worth a crap.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

There have been various reports from those who should know that Zebre are being replaced by a team from Rome.
Last year at the time of the Ulster match in Parma there was a meeting with various unions and pro12 management, the various proposals were increasing the system up to 14 clubs to add more matches for extra revenue to compete with French and English.
There was a proposal for a third Italian side in Rome, finance was from private backers, and basically the Georgian national side as the other side.
The other proposal was the addition of a USA and a Canadian side.
None of this is new except now the 3rd Italian side appears to have been dropped and so changing from Treviso and Zebre to Treviso and Rome. and the German side as the 14th team.
The Jocks and Taff's though are pushing for less matches on the theory that the national players will feature more and crowd numbers will increase.
Personally I think that is crap and won't happen as Ireland will still rest players, it also has a knock-on effect of less fringe players getting a chance.
The USA and Canada teams are a clutch at some extra dollars but I am not convinced of the practicality of such a time zone change for TV and also player welfare issues.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:

There have been various reports from those who should know that Zebre are being replaced by a team from Rome.
Last year at the time of the Ulster match in Parma there was a meeting with various unions and pro12 management, the various proposals were increasing the system up to 14 clubs to add more matches for extra revenue to compete with French and English.
There was a proposal for a third Italian side in Rome, finance was from private backers, and basically the Georgian national side as the other side.
The other proposal was the addition of a USA and a Canadian side.
None of this is new except now the 3rd Italian side appears to have been dropped and so changing from Treviso and Zebre to Treviso and Rome. and the German side as the 14th team.
The Jocks and Taff's though are pushing for less matches on the theory that the national players will feature more and crowd numbers will increase.
Personally I think that is crap and won't happen as Ireland will still rest players, it also has a knock-on effect of less fringe players getting a chance.
The USA and Canada teams are a clutch at some extra dollars but I am not convinced of the practicality of such a time zone change for TV and also player welfare issues.
The logical expansion is Rome and Aberdeen

Problem being the Scots wont bring the money

A cheeky weekend in Munich would be lit scenes

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

damianmcr wrote:A Georgia franchise in Super Rugby? SR is a joke to many people as it is.

I'm happy enough with the Pro12 as it is and don't want any other teams to join and don't want any conferences.
I hate conferences. They are boring and you have to talk to strangers about tom kite.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
austintranslation
Novice

Post by austintranslation »

Why is it always the Pro12 that's expected to improve the 'developing' nations?

^taken from twitter, but I would tend to agree with it.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

austintranslation wrote:Why is it always the Pro12 that's expected to improve the 'developing' nations?

^taken from twitter, but I would tend to agree with it.
6N showing zero interest in doing it anyway....sorry Georgia old man, we aren't taking applications for membership right now.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:
damianmcr wrote:A Georgia franchise in Super Rugby? SR is a joke to many people as it is.

I'm happy enough with the Pro12 as it is and don't want any other teams to join and don't want any conferences.
I hate conferences. They are boring and you have to talk to strangers about tom kite.

I second that motion, SR has made itself a nonsense of itself with the conference bullshite. To be honest I haven't bothered to frequent myself with it's exact workings, but I understand that it means less accomplished teams qualifying at the expense of better teams.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Expansion of P12 (or 6N) beyond 6N unions is nonsense.

The chasm in quality is simply too great.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

BR wrote:Expansion of P12 (or 6N) beyond 6N unions is nonsense.

Some would argue the Italian sides in the Pro 12 aren't up to scratch and it should be a Pro 10...

The US/Canada expansion plan is a non-starter imo. In terms of Euro expansion, until the national sides in the 6N B, get regular matches - home and away v the 6N sides, we will not know how big the gap is...a summer tour in Georgia v going to SA/Aus...££££
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Georgian national side would give any PRO12 side a good run but what are the chances of them retrieving their team from the various clubs in France etc ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Neill_M wrote:
BR wrote:Expansion of P12 (or 6N) beyond 6N unions is nonsense.

Some would argue the Italian sides in the Pro 12 aren't up to scratch and it should be a Pro 10...

The US/Canada expansion plan is a non-starter imo. In terms of Euro expansion, until the national sides in the 6N B, get regular matches - home and away v the 6N sides, we will not know how big the gap is...a summer tour in Georgia v going to SA/Aus...££££
The Italian venture in the P12 has stumbled from one crisis to another. Another false start with the 'private' Zebre is not helping (I'm hoping Zebre will return to being a federal franchise on Saturday, and FIR can absorb the losses until a more stable financial model can be built). However the national team has progressed greatly since the P12 entry. IF we want to get Italy competing seriously at the top table, we need to stick with it (anybody who thought it was going to be quick was deluded). A return to S10 clubs being the next level of Italian rugby would (imho) undo the good work and we may as well return to 5Ns (only in a few years to put some short/medium term investment into Georgia ... or Romania ... or who knows where.

Italy (national and professional club) is still very much a work in progress and IRB needs to demand that the other unions provide whatever support they can.

Once when we have Italy on firm footings, we can think about the next union (but seriously, if you thought Italy was hard work ...). I'm not saying forget about the other unions, the IRB need to work to maximise the game in those countries*. That may enable an easier transition in the long term, but at the minute, 'promotion' to the top table is not what these guys need

* e.g. Most people don't even know the 6NsB exists. The likes of the Tblisi need to be made higher profile. For example lions year, Ireland should not be touring Japan. They (and other 6N unions) should be sending 'test' teams to the tblisi/nations cups.
Get a bit of higher profile for the FIRA nations. But do that in parallel with cementing Italy's place.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Seven Academy players involved for Leinster and Munster this weekend. How many do you think we'll add to that number? :roll:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

ruckover wrote:Seven Academy players involved for Leinster and Munster this weekend. How many do you think we'll add to that number? :roll:
Wise up. Diack is brill.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?