CHARLIE Boy - "Wish you were here !! "

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Re: WELCOME to ULSTER CHARLIE Boy

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

Rooster wrote:
Bart S wrote:It is going to be difficult for ulster to attract players of CP's pedigree, against the money and lifestyle options afforded by some of the french and even english clubs.
Hang on a minute, the French and English may have more money but have they really a better lifestyle than here ? The vast majority of English clubs are situated in brad pitt holes even quite a few of the French clubs are not in great areas, ok we might have bombed, burnt and shot each other here for years but the place now is pretty liveable in, the weather while not great has no real extremes, the lads and their families can wander around pretty well unnoticed, except by Pip and a few stalkers, cost of living is fine, feck I should get a job in the tourist board :lol:
Leicester or Belfast which would most here prefer to live in ?
Since moving away from Norniron its become brutally clear just how much the local population don't realize how good the lifestyle is there. Belfast is now getting a reputation as one of the best places to visit in the UK. Its not up itself. It isn't an absolute nightmare to get around. The people are friendly. The food is good. The bars are some of the best in the British Isles. The scenery is stunning. If I was a player from the SH and had a choice between London and its murderous gangs of Somali school children, Leicester with its . . . meh, Bath with its boring arrogance, or Belfast I'd be on the first flight to norniron.
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:Is it just me or are any others here really beginning to doubt we'll ever see Charlie Boy in a white shirt at Spanners?
We might but it might be some other sides white shirt :shock: anyway I wonder if he breaks the contract to we get a wad of cash ?
Is there any actual evidence that Piutau will not honour his agreement with Ulster?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Big Smoke Culchie wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Bart S wrote:It is going to be difficult for ulster to attract players of CP's pedigree, against the money and lifestyle options afforded by some of the french and even english clubs.
Hang on a minute, the French and English may have more money but have they really a better lifestyle than here ? The vast majority of English clubs are situated in brad pitt holes even quite a few of the French clubs are not in great areas, ok we might have bombed, burnt and shot each other here for years but the place now is pretty liveable in, the weather while not great has no real extremes, the lads and their families can wander around pretty well unnoticed, except by Pip and a few stalkers, cost of living is fine, feck I should get a job in the tourist board :lol:
Since moving away from Norniron its become brutally clear just how much the local population don't realize how good the lifestyle is there. Belfast is now getting a reputation as one of the best places to visit in the UK. Its not up itself. It isn't an absolute nightmare to get around. The people are friendly. The food is good. The bars are some of the best in the British Isles. The scenery is stunning. If I was a player from the SH and had a choice between London and its murderous gangs of Somali school children, Leicester with its . . . meh, Bath with its boring arrogance, or Belfast I'd be on the first flight to norniron.
The grass is always greener......except on the Ravenhill pitch where it's non-existent.
The point that I have made repeatedly and seems to float off into thin air is this.
What is the common thread between so many of of our recent signings? Ruan, Johann, Louis, Charlie, Franco, Wiehahn, Pete Browne...? They are all Christians who have faith that plays a major part in their lives.
The Christian culture is embedded in the Ulster rugby psyche. A weekly Bible study, for those who wish to attend, is part of the official weekly schedule. The Church culture in Belfast is rich and varied. This is all well known in rugby circles and is a massive draw for Christian players. This may be difficult for non-christians to get their head around, but it is fact. It was a massive part of the reason Ruan turned down Toulon and stayed here for less money.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rooster wrote:

Rooster - i would say that the draw of living in a big cosmopolitan city like Paris or London or the lifestyle and weather of the south of france where virtually all the clubs are based would be significant draws for a lot of players, including those with families. Language is less of an issue in france now due to the number of foreign players at each club.

I'm not knocking belfast, but the reality is that when we are also competing against money it is tough to attract the top players, some of whom will not know a lot about the positives of belfast.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Leicester, nice town good people. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I'm with Bart, until somebody comes up with a good reason why his contract won't be honoured I expect him at Spanners & see no good reason why the IRFU might not show the same flexibility as they showed Mexico when allowing them to hold onto their Injury replacement for the full season when Plug recovered or the retention of Nacewa driving several horses & carriages through their their NIQ regs.

#IRFUcomingfortocarryhimhome
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Snipe Watson wrote:
bazzaj wrote:My thinking as well Kofi but lets take a look at the evidence.
We effectively sacked McGlocks and MA a season in advance.
Appointed Kiss over a season in advance on a hokey cokey contract.
We also allowed Afoa to play when he felt like it.
We have previous for creating these ridiculous situations.

I don't know why the panic to tie a SH player down just before a world cup when there will be more wanting to come to Europe after.
They don't commit beforehand as they will be frozen out just in fact like Charlie has been.
As a matter a fact that may raise concerns about a player who is prepared to do that as he must have known that would happen.
Maybe he spoke to Afoa about what soft touches we are.

I just can't get my head round it.
Charlie may well be a class act but anything can happen in over a year in terms of injury or loss of form.
In the meantime we plod on with more or less the same old when anyone with half a brain knows we need quality back row replacements now and not fullbacks in over a years time.
Was it not the case that Kiss was appointed (or sent up from Dublin) to stabilise a fractious situation within the Ulster junior coaching ranks that was threatening to get out of hand......again?
Has Piutau's signing been anything more that good forward succession planning from Ulster that leaked into the NZ media way ahead of when it should?
It is uncommon for players to have a move mapped out 15 months or so in advance so that they know what they are doing and so do the new club?
It is uncommon snipe you are right.
The New Zealanders know what they are doing with him now by freezing him out like a leper.
Ulster know now what they are getting now but will that be the same in 15 months time?
The answer is no one fecken knows.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bazzaj wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Has Piutau's signing been anything more that good forward succession planning from Ulster that leaked into the NZ media way ahead of when it should?
It is uncommon for players to have a move mapped out 15 months or so in advance so that they know what they are doing and so do the new club?
The New Zealanders know what they are doing with him now by freezing him out like a leper.
Ulster know now what they are getting now but will that be the same in 15 months time?
Is it uncommon? I'm not so sure. I suspect that it is NOT uncommon - what I suspect is uncommon, is that this news leaked as early as it did. I would not be surprised that such deals, while perhaps not the norm, are more common than Joe Public is aware, but the lid is kept on until nearer the actual contract starting time.

At the very least, the fact that discussions and approaches have been made to players that far in advance should not be a surprise, even if the contracts have not been signed. That should be the case in the majority of cases of forward succession planning.

That is only supposition on my part though.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
bazzaj wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Has Piutau's signing been anything more that good forward succession planning from Ulster that leaked into the NZ media way ahead of when it should?
Is it uncommon? I'm not so sure. I suspect that it is NOT uncommon - what I suspect is uncommon, is that this news leaked as early as it did. I would not be surprised that such deals, while perhaps not the norm, are more common than Joe Public is aware, but the lid is kept on until nearer the actual contract starting time.

At the very least, the fact that discussions and approaches have been made to players that far in advance should not be a surprise, even if the contracts have not been signed. That should be the case in the majority of cases of forward succession planning.

Queensland Reds lost the bap earlier in the season, when whatever French club Genia is going to revealed the signing ahead of an agreed schedule.

Not a year ahead, but a while . . .
It's the hope that kills you.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Anyone know anything about Mike Bentley?
NIQ apparently signed with branch
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Appreciate lads that contracts are sorted before a player arrives or he couldn't play otherwise.
15 months in advance I would think is rather exceptional.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Mike Bentley sounds like another Butterworth, plucked from obscurity and proceeded to go backwards.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

scrum5 wrote:Mike Bentley sounds like another Butterworth, plucked from obscurity and proceeded to go backwards.....
He's offering personal training classes in Banbridge

Maybe he's just another Barro Kessler. Dutch international who only ever played AIL 3
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Big Smoke Culchie wrote:
Rooster wrote:
BSC, no malice intended, but I doubt I am alone in seeing some irony in you loving it so much you fecked away aff. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can see the attraction for anyone tolerably well heeled who can afford a lifestyle that keeps them clear of the horrible centres of sectarianism & increasingly racism. Like many of our middle class posters who have decent jobs and have been to schools & universities were they mix mainly with similar people, yes you can knock out a decent life.

That doesn't make it one iota less of a hate filled despicable wee shitehole.

In case you've missed it, today the Parades Commission imposed reasonable restrictions on an Orange parade for when they pass St Patrick's church. In recent years some disgraceful Orange scumbags have et themselves and all Orange basterds down, give this and other churches some special treatment including pishing on them in their wee paramilitary uniforms.

The reaction of our MLAs - predictabe, that twatpot Nelson McCauslandCarHire is up in arms. Nothing changes BSC, it's still a shitehole ........oh yeah and in the last week or two we have seen this summer's selection of terrorist flegs plus the Union Jack & NI fleg draped from every lamppost. The latter two I've no big problem with, just that there isn't naked lamppost in Bengor-on-Sea, the terrorist flegs I despise.

So yeah, no. :duh:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
bazzaj wrote:

I meant is it uncommon? Not it is uncommon. I would imagine most players have their plans made well ahead of their current contract ending.
The way things are going for Charles, he could be finished with NZ rugby.