Autumn Internationals 2022

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Jetstream
Steward

Re: Autumn Internationals 2022

Post by Jetstream »

Both Bob and JOB are 25 years old. Bob B has played 48 times for Ulster scoring 25 tries.
JOB has played 53 times for Leinster scoring 15 tries. Similar records but I know who I would pick.
There is also a case fior playing JoB snd Bob B and dropping Hansen who has been very poor. Very busy around the field but achieving nothing.
As for picking Aki, the only statistic where he exceeds S McC is in red cards.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ireland v Australia

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 24 caps
14. Mack Hansen (Connacht/Corinthians) 8 caps
13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 46 caps
12. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 8 caps
11. Jimmy O’Brien (Leinster/Naas) 2 caps
10. Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 109 caps CAPTAIN
9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 22 caps

1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 47 caps
2. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 12 caps
3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 62 caps
4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 35 caps
5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 47 caps
6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 88 caps
7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 44 caps
8. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 22 caps

Replacements:

16. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 30 caps
17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 120 caps
18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 26 caps
19. Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin University) *
20. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 32 caps
21. Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 6 caps
22. Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution) 1 cap
23. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 40 caps

*denotes uncapped player

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

For all that we think Baloucoune is brilliant you can't say he didn't get his chances in the last 2 games. He was ok but didn't stand out. His problem remains that he doesn't come looking for work often enough. Compare the work he got through to Mack Hansen on the other wing. Hansen came into the line from all directions and had some important touches (some poor ones as well). Baloucoune didn't have enough game involvements to shine so didn't do enough to keep his place. JOB undoubtedly deserves his spot. JOB has been brilliant in both games and you can't begrudge him that. This isn't an example of D4 versus BT6 at all. Baloucoune will get his chances again.

Am very pleased for Stu to keep his place over Aki, that's a big vote of confidence. I think he'll get subbed when Sexton does as they might want Aki's experience to take pressure of young Crowley.

Don't know what Treadwell did wrong to lose his spot. Maybe AF has seen enough to know he likes Treadwell so is giving another lock a chance?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

KT is arguably unluckier than Bobby to miss out.

At least Andeh has left me with at least one player to cheer on.

Two if Heaslip isn’t in charge of the replacements,
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

allezlesverres wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:27 pm For all that we think Baloucoune is brilliant you can't say he didn't get his chances in the last 2 games. He was ok but didn't stand out. His problem remains that he doesn't come looking for work often enough. Compare the work he got through to Mack Hansen on the other wing. Hansen came into the line from all directions and had some important touches (some poor ones as well). Baloucoune didn't have enough game involvements to shine so didn't do enough to keep his place. JOB undoubtedly deserves his spot. JOB has been brilliant in both games and you can't begrudge him that. This isn't an example of D4 versus BT6 at all. Baloucoune will get his chances again.

Am very pleased for Stu to keep his place over Aki, that's a big vote of confidence. I think he'll get subbed when Sexton does as they might want Aki's experience to take pressure of young Crowley.

Don't know what Treadwell did wrong to lose his spot. Maybe AF has seen enough to know he likes Treadwell so is giving another lock a chance?
Good to experiment but why always drop Ulster players to do so. Some players on the team seem undroppable. Added to this they absolutely flogged Beirne last week. He looked wrecked.
What are we going to learn from watching players such as POM or Ringrose or Doris. We already know they set high standards.
Yes Hansen is a busy player but when he was most needed he went missing defensively. Have a look at the Fiji tries.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Against Fiji, Baloucoune had exactly half the involvements that Hansen has, according to the stats. As identified in previous discussions, there is an issue with certain players passing off their left hand thus the right winger can be less involved. The way Ireland play, not much is outside the playback or called by the 10. It's difficult to lay blame at Rob's feet unless we know what his instructions were.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Good to have them all back healthy!!!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Setanta wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:46 pm Good to have them all back healthy!!!
We play Leinster in two weeks. If ulster players like Hume, Stockdale, Treadwell, Baloucoune (even Stewart/Doak for missing out on the ‘a’ game) feel aggrieved they have the perfect opportunity to stick two fingers up.

I don’t know if they have that type of mentality (Hume and Stewart certainly have). Perhaps they are too nice, but Ulster players of yesteryear would put down a marker.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:23 pm Against Fiji, Baloucoune had exactly half the involvements that Hansen has, according to the stats. As identified in previous discussions, there is an issue with certain players passing off their left hand thus the right winger can be less involved. The way Ireland play, not much is outside the playback or called by the 10. It's difficult to lay blame at Rob's feet unless we know what his instructions were.
Zackly - He should be judged on how well he did what he was told to do.

For me he is a proper winger and that is probably not what Ireland want/need. I hope he has developed some of his additional skills while with Ireland - I think I see his defence improving. I would say there will be a place for him in the future depending on the specifics of the game plan. Meanwhile I will smile every time he gets the ball.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

The only pick I didn't see coming was Treaders dropping out altogether. He really has come on recently. For whatever reason, Bobby didn't look the part in the last game. Big Stu really did. Herring and Sheehan? We'd choose Rob; Mexicans would choose Sheehan.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

To be honest JoB has never over impressed when playing for Leinster and seems to be a back up for Kearney , Larmour and Lowe .

Thus I wonder who is peeling his bell ?

Despite Ulster’s standing in the league for the last two years exactly why are only two players from Ulster in the squad .

Admittedly Stockdale is lacking in game time likewise Henderson and Hume .

But given the strapping on McCloskey’s arm last week I would have preferred Aki to have started .

McCarthy is a big player but Ahern was more impressive in the A game .

And Casey has been tried and found wanting hopefully Doak will continue to improve but I doubt he’ll feature while Sexton sees himself as the number one goal kicker in Ireland .

To me Sexton is another BoD it stinks of a “ I want to play with my buddies selection “

With a few token faces from other provinces trusted by Farrell .

The Leinster back line bar two Leinster forwards bar two and the missing two are on the bench
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Godots bedpan
Novice

Post by Godots bedpan »

rumncoke wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:20 pm
McCarthy went off after 8 minutes for a HIA and didn't return.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

rumncoke wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:20 pm To be honest JoB has never over impressed when playing for Leinster and seems to be a back up for Kearney , Larmour and Lowe .

Thus I wonder who is peeling his bell ?

Despite Ulster’s standing in the league for the last two years exactly why are only two players from Ulster in the squad .

Admittedly Stockdale is lacking in game time likewise Henderson and Hume .

But given the strapping on McCloskey’s arm last week I would have preferred Aki to have started .

And Casey has been tried and found wanting hopefully Doak will continue to improve but I doubt he’ll feature while Sexton sees himself as the number one goal kicker in Ireland .

To me Sexton is another BoD it stinks of a “ I want to play with my buddies selection “

With a few token faces from other provinces trusted by Farrell .

The Leinster back line bar two Leinster forwards bar two and the missing two are on the bench

Look, I love a D4 versus BT6 conspiracy as much as the next man but even as a one-eyed ulster fan I can't get behind these ones. In the order that you raise them (and then others that you didn't mention but others did):

JOB: Has been brilliant in both games and has been messed about in various positions. Has thoroughly earned his start and has probably all but booked his RWC ticket already.
Stockdale: got a shot in the A game. Was average but with at least one glaring mistake. Didn't take his chance to shine and can't complain that others got the nod ahead of him.
Henderson: injured. Would definitely have started several of the games otherwise.
Hume: got a shot in the A game. Was poor and didn't take his chance. In a team of poor performances, his was notably poor which is harsh but there you go. Can have absolutely no complaints to see Ringrose, Henshaw, Stu ahead of him.
Doak: his shop window was the Munster game where he was very poor and he likewise can have no complaint that others got opportunities ahead of him this time around.
Herring: is a reliable second/third choice for Ireland but has no chance now of dislodging Sheehan as first choice who surely everyone acknowledges is now a better option.
Treadwell: the strangest one for me. I think he has secured his position as a bench option for lock and AF is just experimenting with McCarthy to find other bench options.
Timoney: got all the chances and did pretty well with them. Should probably feel a bit hard done by that Conan gets the bench spot ahead of him. Having said that Conan is (bizarrely for me) a full fat test lion so there is that.

I'm with Bigal on this one - I hope the Ulster guys use their frustration to lay down a marker and prove they're made of better stuff.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Feel for Hume a bit, he has played one game this year (munster away) and was then expected to shine against what would be a top 5 international side playing out if position. Understand chances don't come around too often but he was dealt a difficult hand and I would hate to see him written off on that basis.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Thankfully this w@nk is over soon and we can get back to the real rugby. With some big names coming back in from injury too.