Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

LUMBERJACK
Novice

Re: Replacement 10

Post by LUMBERJACK »

I actually think that is true , its the FIRFUs blocking of us signing an NIQ outhalf which is daft .
We are one injury away from having no outhalf . Carberry doesnt have enough experience or want to be here and God forbid Keatly is not the answer we need a replacement of PJs standard if the squad is not to be a lot weaker next year and there are no obviuous NIQ candidates . Steenson was benched by Exeter at the weekend and now looks like drifting towards second choice down there but I dont think that will ever happen .
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

The Union would have to stump up a hell of a pension and a guaranteed RWC trip to convince Steenson to come here, and even then would he be interested?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

ColinM wrote:The Union would have to stump up a hell of a pension and a guaranteed RWC trip to convince Steenson to come here, and even then would he be interested?
No, he wasn't interested when we were decent. No we are sh1t and our management have no loyalty to our players. Why would you ever think of coming here?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Deraless wrote:What the effing eff are the IRFU at?

Can we have our actual acquitted 10 who did bugger all wrong back please?
No.

What! So as an alternative you want to send Joey but Leinster says "No"?
Correct.

So in order to placate the IRFU/Leinster/Joey he might go to Munster now, and then we get someone even the fiercest Turnip admits to be shìte?
Yup, and...

Well that's hardly fair on us!
And...

So Ruan's family are miserable in France, he bleeds Ulster and he could come home, mentor 3 young prospects and would play/coach 10 and not obstruct Cooney either?
Nope.

Why not?
Just.

Well we kinda need a half decent NIQ 10 then.
Nope.

But we've a couple of possibles lined up guys?
Nope and nope.

So the man to bring on our young 10s is Keatley?
Well we might let you sign a crap NIQ 10. Huh, have you thought of that, eh?

Well, if we're gonna sign one wouldn't it be better to sign a good one?
Sorry, I don't follow you?

Well, I suppose whatever happens we have to be thankful for your exceeding bounty.
Sorry, what part of none of this is about you don't you understand. Oh look a pigeon.

If we get "Keats" I hope whoever inherits this shambles and whenever, has the gonads to give D4 the middle digit and banish Keatley to the As. Bring on our own guys. There is no semblance of any logical thinking in any of this, even taking the long term IRFU plan into consideration. It all boils down to stubbornness and obstruction.

It now seems like everything is being chucked at the RWC after which Joe will be away back and someone else can oversee the years of rebuilding.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would guess we just don't have a powerful enough influence in the halls of D4. If all we get is Keatley, then that's disgrace. Munster's cast offs.

Bring back Ruan, he'd have a great influence on all 9s and 10s.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

FOIK

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

LUMBERJACK wrote:https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 32962.html

If this is true then I have no words to desrcribe the IRFU which wouldnt get me banned from this forum. Cooney wanted to come here and planned to stay Carberry does not and will not. We are not a feeder club for Leinster Nuciwankstain
That article suggests to me UR are demanding more than one year for the new 10 (and rightly so), and wee Joey doesn't want to commit. Let him stay at LR. If he stays, LR have to play him at 10, right? Otherwise, he doesn't get on the plane to the world cup.
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

As things stand ... injury to Cooney or McPhillips next season & we are screwed. Ruan is a great option & would be a welcome olive branch from IRFU.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Really hope that Carbery or indeed Byrne do not come here. Always better to have players who want to come, irrespective of their origins. Cooney came to us via Connacht and I admire him so much for it. Wants to be better and wants to play for us.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

rumncoke wrote:problem with Jantjies is a Black Carberry in my book who would be wanting a two - three year contract

The wrong solution to what maybe a one year problem

Ruan as a solution ticks many of the boxes

1 as an older player he maybe more willing to be seen as a bench player now

2 he covers the two positions in the Ulster squad which lack any depth scrum half and out half thus one signing maybe cheaper than two

3 Hopefully Ulsters need will only exist for one year

Lele isn't a 10 he can't kick a ball out of a wet paper bag as a cover for centre he is very acceptable .

The problem is during a World Cup year very few good out halfs will be wanting to move out their own environment

Dublin have to realise that having created the problem.The solution can't be imposed by Dublin ,to suit Dublin .

It must be one which meets the approval of the average Ulster man , if it isn't the CEO in place at the moment will never be able to sell it to the media if they ( the media ) consider it is unacceptable to Hughie Spectator .

That is not fair to any player to be seen as unacceptable imposed signing .

Cooney made it but there is nothing to suggest Carberry will and that goes for any player from Munster -- simply because it is seen as a signing for the benefit of Dublin not Ulster .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Rum, WTF does his colour have to do with it?

I totally agree with the idea the FIRFU caused this mess so they should give us choice of who we want, within reason. The calibre of player should be of similar standard to Paddy. If not, then it's us taking the sh1t yet again from D4 and Nucifuhrer.

RP would be a good choice to bring on the lads but his 10 playing isn't much better than what we have now.

I'm thinking there's another way out of this...... Go with what we've got at 10 and get another quality back rower, a second row and a prop. Make our forwards of a good enough quality that the young lads get a much more comfortable ride at 10 and we get front foot ball. The chances of that happening are nil by the way...
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Dan Dare wrote:Really hope that Carbery or indeed Byrne do not come here. Always better to have players who want to come, irrespective of their origins. Cooney came to us via Connacht and I admire him so much for it. Wants to be better and wants to play for us.
Absolutely, and a one year contracted 10 is as useful to us as a chocolate tea pot.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rum is Nick Mallett and I claim my £5

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

stickinout wrote:
Dan Dare wrote:Really hope that Carbery or indeed Byrne do not come here. Always better to have players who want to come, irrespective of their origins. Cooney came to us via Connacht and I admire him so much for it. Wants to be better and wants to play for us.
Absolutely, and a one year contracted 10 is as useful to us as a chocolate tea pot.
As we found out to our detriment during February and March, it is better than a half year contracted 10*

* To be clear, a one year contracted 10 of no reasonable experience is useless. A past master in the style of Terblanche 2012 would be very acceptable.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

ColinM wrote:
stickinout wrote:
As we found out to our detriment during February and March, it is better than a half year contracted 10*

* To be clear, a one year contracted 10 of no reasonable experience is useless. A past master in the style of Terblanche 2012 would be very acceptable.
Unfortunately Colin, those kind of players are as rare as hobbyhorse sh1t. I'd say Stefan could still do a job for us now, he was some specimen of a man.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

stickinout wrote:
ColinM wrote:
stickinout wrote:

Unfortunately Colin, those kind of players are as rare as hobbyhorse sh1t. I'd say Stefan could still do a job for us now, he was some specimen of a man.
Indeed but there is one in Exeter (notwithstanding he wouldn't want to come here), and he would not even use an NIQ spot which as we know Slogan likes to reserve for 'Box Office' players like Schalk Van der Merwe
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cornerfleg wrote:Jantjies is the sort of guy you'd have to pull out of Ollies ... just saying.

No thanks. Very very poor idea whoever came up with that.
Especially if he's blocked.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?