Ulster vs Wasps

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster vs Wasps

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BR wrote:BTW did I genuinely see the wasps hooker pinged for foot-up?
I think he was pinged for not hooking.

Maybe I dreamed it up, but isn't there a new law that states the hooker must hook the ball? It's to make the feed go into the hooker's feet rather than the second row's.
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
I'm away for a lie down.
Ref definitely signaled "foot up", but that may now be the signal for the second row having his foot up now rather than the hooker.
Couldn't sleep so looked up the new laws instead and I'm right about the law change.
Didn't see the signal the ref made, so cannot comment. I thought they went for an eight man shove.
Law 20

Once the ball touches the ground in the tunnel, any front-row player may use either foot to try to win possession of the ball. One player from the team who put the ball in must strike for the ball.

Rationale: To promote a fair contest for possession.

Sanction: Free-kick
Aye, maybe that was it. Good thinking of the IRB to recycle an existing referee signal for the new law. It's not like anyone ever used it anyway.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:Ok- if they're going to start enforcing foot-up, Rory's career is over.
Not quite what I said at the time, but same player - I commented that Rory would have to re-learn his timing rather than waiting with his foot up long before the ball comes in.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Why did we bother having Mcburney on the bench if we didn't use him?
Thought Cairns did well as did Best. Bowe was pish in the centre.
Ah Ye remains a total waste of a jersey. Maybe some of you will now listen to those of us who actually know what a prop is for/ does. Poor fitness, attitude and technique.
Timoney was decent too in his only apoearance of the season, and i remain convinced we should cut Smallp completely and go with either Cairns or Shanners as Cooney's back up. Shanahan has got a poor press here but i watched him in Exeter last year and he was pretty good. He was hung out to dry against Bordeaux and has wrongly been sidelined since. Smallp I have no more patience with. We just need fast, accurate and steady not chaos.
Exterminate all rational thought
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Shirley someone who knows what a prop is for/ does, shouldn't be allowed to comment on backs? :D :duck:
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BR wrote:Ok- if they're going to start enforcing foot-up, Rory's career is over.
Not quite what I said at the time, but same player - I commented that Rory would have to re-learn his timing rather than waiting with his foot up long before the ball comes in.
:scratch: :scratch: You mumbled something about a camel, a surfboard and Mao Zedong, but you never mentioned hooking the ball. I was glad when HWM came over for some relatively sensible discourse.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
:scratch: :scratch: You mumbled something about a camel, a surfboard and Mao Zedong, but you never mentioned hooking the ball. I was glad when HWM came over for some relatively sensible discourse.
Well ...... in my head that's what I said. :roll:

I was glad when he went over to you too. It meant he left me alone. (I wasn't that far gone) :D
I'm not arguing -
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Why did we bother having Mcburney on the bench if we didn't use him?
Ah Ye remains a total waste of a jersey. Maybe some of you will now listen to those of us who actually know what a prop is for/ does. Poor fitness, attitude and technique.
Timoney was decent too in his only apoearance of the season, and i remain convinced we should cut Smallp completely and go with either Cairns or Shanners as Cooney's back up. Shanahan has got a poor press here but i watched him in Exeter last year and he was pretty good. He was hung out to dry against Bordeaux and has wrongly been sidelined since. Smallp I have no more patience with. We just need fast, accurate and steady not chaos.
Preach brother preach
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Yep, fast accurate & steady and get the crash ball up and running.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Cornerfleg wrote:The defining moment for me was the Wasps second try, it was our line out on half way ... you could see them all just switch on, line out won ... pedantic pass back to Heron - telegraphed offload I think to Trimble ... a good 16 meters behind the gain line ... Wasp defence went into overdrive - Trimble completely clattered, turn over - penalty - kick to the corner they knew that if they won the line out they were so well drilled at mauling it was a sure thing.

We had zero answers ... just bewilderment, we were schooled by a team (NOT fielding their best players either) who for long stretches of the game just suffocated us ... and when they saw an opportunity they upped the tempo ... ran onto flat ball ... and killed us.

Big Pete made a few good runs from deep onto a pass ... in the second half only Diesel actually came from depth onto a pass ... whereas Big Rod ... feet firmly planted caught a ball ... lead with it and only started to make an effort to go forward as he was being driven backwards by one of their forwards ... Oh dear lord we are going to get our ar$es handed to us on a plate by a decent side with something to play for.

I don't buy this horse shyte it was a friendly ... I and countless other fans are fed up to eth back teeth of insipid toothless performances year in year out ... even the players I hope are truly fed up and disgusted with blowing a lot of hot air and winning feck all... yet apart form a few decent efforts and cameos from newbies (including Timoney my MOTM) it looked to me like New Season - same old shyte.

I'd love get my hands on the drugs some of our UAB fans take if they were not scared shítless with that glimpse of our "new dawn" ... it's not fair to go overboard about it or climb over some players who are trying their best but ... we don't have any half backs ... it's not up for debate ... we're screwed.
There's a reason so many didn't renew their STs. I will make the effort for most games but I feel I had to show my disgust at the direction our province is going in the only way I could.

UR have tried to say they've shifted 10,000 STs. Either it's fake news or Ulster loves a bit of sadomasochism.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

We were tom kite last year but this season is going to be pretty horrific. I can't see us winning away from home - possibly in Italy on a good day but we are seriously gash. Add in the inevitable injury crisis and internationals away and it's going to be carnage.

It's backs to the walls stuff. There needs to be come serious leadership coming from the players. We also need to be smart in terms of what games to target winning and let the others go to fek.

It's sad to see this kind of demise in slow motion. Ulster have done well to build up a fanbase, stadium and decent team. The IRFU need to step in and help us out now or a lot of that will be gone after another season or 2 of this ballix.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

On a more positive note, "Subway Man" added a touch of class to the proceedings.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Why did we bother having Mcburney on the bench if we didn't use him?
CI..... like you I think Rodney is a complete waste of a contract but hey Rory thinks he is the dogs horlix. I decided to cut him some slack after he turned up half the man he was but I have a feeling that this year will be no different....
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

I wondered why Mrs 222 was shouting for a six incher at half time.

Never noticed subway man
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I'm not sure we can rely so heavily on the "internationals away" excuse anymore. We lose much fewer players than Munster or Leinster do. Although we do lose all sense of leadership and what little direction we have when our internationals are away.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
You were doing so well until that last line, relatively or not, that is a downright lie. Mike could only have mumbled something about the cheerleaders looking well and farting steadily.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.