Dragon slayers V House Henson

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dragon slayers V House Henson

Post by Cockatrice »

I find it amazing the extent that some so called analysts namely ihump sang the praises of Rodney as if his performance was from a man processed. Bit hit after big hit .. well one cheap late shot got him a yellow and look again at a previous and another cheap shoulder missed by the ref... three balls into contact everyone turned over or lost.. he lasted most of the game which is a big step up but had two breaks to rest up..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

He did damage one of Danery's Daves, but as you say, he was late and should have been carded early in the first half.
Yes he showed more effort on Friday, than we've seen since weegies away last season, but imo he's so slow, he'll always be late to the hit and he's either a card in waiting, or he's just waiting.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Jonno and EOS, now there a coach/ DOR I could believe in...

RAY is a waste of O2. Hurry on Ross Kane. At least Herbst is looking the deal again.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

On a more worrying note, did DC get a strain or pull or was he just cramping? Don't want him unavailable for his next appearance in 6 months time....
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

He's not due to play again until Munster away at the ar$e end of April. He'll be locked in a box in FOLK's attic until then. Neither seen, nor heard.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Jonno and EOS, now there a coach/ DOR I could believe in...

RAY is a waste of O2. Hurry on Ross Kane. At least Herbst is looking the deal again.
Jono and EOS would be first rate and get a proper defence coach
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:On a more worrying note, did DC get a strain or pull or was he just cramping? Don't want him unavailable for his next appearance in 6 months time....
Looked like cramp after not playing for months, well he had 8 min run out but that's not worth counting
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Not sure what happened to my post Cockers but it's not as intended.

On Dave Ah Youballixye, I don't quite share the opinions of all here, however, I thought it was actually his first 4 carries that the ball was lost. That notwithstanding, props don't play 80 minutes or the best part of them allowing for stitches & a few minutes that the card actually took out of his game.

With no ITK info at all, it was so odd to see him there for almost the whole game that I can only conclude that somebody said, Rodders, I want to see if you've done anything about your fitness, you will do the full 80.

I also thought that what he did show that hasn't always been the case is that there was no shortage of effort & there was aggression in his carrying and tackles. Also, if a prop can get away with dusting a boy up a tad, I'm fine with that, they often get a little latitude for being slow anyway and even the last one was late but not so late as to threaten red. To me it was more of a "feck it, I had plans for you, sure take this anyway".

So no, I can't say I see a great prop in there but equally, doing more or less the full game is progress and the attitude was far removed from some of his efforts last year. Still work to do obviously.

I said months ago that one yardstick for Jono is can he make our Daves better and Rodders is a prime example to judge that by, just as the likes of Robbie Diack & Clive Ross are. I've liked what I've seen of Rea and Timoney played very well albeit against muck, we've had nothing like our best pack out yet and still, the pack have done considerably better than expected to date albeit with only one real test.

To me, even Diack appears to have been given a role that he's doing well enough though bigger tests lie ahead, I'm loving his lineout work as ever, but he's now catching and zipping the ball into the scrumhalf's hands instantly in one fluid movement.

Encouraging signs up front, compare & contrast the fortunes of Ulster with Jono, Ulster with Clarke & now Ospreys with Clarke. We have come out very much on the right side of that.

On Cave it's no more than cramp, not really surprising, you can be fit but match fit is different.

Not brill, only one real test up to yet, one TBP squandered despite Treviso's other performances, but if some boys would bloody stay fit there are the beginnings of grounds for very cautious optimism.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Diack will never be a line/ tackle breaker but you cant argue with his effort and puts himself in the dirty areas even though he knows hes going to get milled. I hope it puts to bed the Saft epithets hes got. He 'll never be a starting first choice lock, as he doesn't have the grunt to lock the scrum like Hendo, AOC or Treadwell, but he must be the most genuinely skilful of all our forwards. There is defo a reinvention and squad place for him.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Btw is his lack of tackle breaking such an issue now that Jonno has them clearing out in pods around the carrier? Not as isolated now and end result is the same- clear daylight for the scrumhalf.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Just had my first look at Rodders card:

1) it happened on 80mins 15 seconds so irrelevant more or less
2) yeah, you can't really complain but for a fat lad he was committed, no big deal & there was an attempt to use arm/s.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Just had my first look at Rodders card:

1) it happened on 80mins 15 seconds so irrelevant more or less
2) yeah, you can't really complain but for a fat lad he was committed, no big deal & there was an attempt to use arm/s.
He didn't look up at any stage. I suppose it's a positive that he was still up for it at 80+. Still puzzled why any prop should be playing 80 mins these days :scratch:

Might ballix out best chance of silverware if the old Fair Play League goes to the wire.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I was happy to see rodders get the full game. He has obviously worked hard over the summer on his physique but for a guy that size his stamina will take time improve. If he stays injury free and motivated (If jonno can't then there is no hope) then he could be an asset come the tail of the season. I believe there is still potential for him to be a quality prop so let's give him this season at least.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I think it was a very deliberate ploy to keep him on to either test his fitness for 80 mins or make him see that he can do it, after putting the work in over the summer. Kiss said something in his interview afterwards about it being a positive seeing him manage a whole game rather than a few minutes.

I don't think there is any intention to make him play 80 and his value will always be a solid 45/50 or as an impact player but on this occasion I think it was very deliberate.

Still reckon he is worth persisiting with this season as he COULD still be a useful asset in an area where we are not blessed with quality.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Just as long as he's nowhere near the team for a big match. And a few others I could mention.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?