FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

Post by Shan »

It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Last night's game was as bad as the Spain game or even worse. 4 minutes of excitement and 116 minutes of wanting to cry yourself to sleep.

Hopefully the Brazil v Mexico game will be good today. Also hopefully Japan can at least make a game of it against Belgium.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Just watched Neymars histrionics in reaction to being trodden on
Total disgrace hope Brazil get stuffed on the back of that play acting.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Glad Croatia got through. Russia and Denmark would have been a snorefest. At least Croatia play a bit of football.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

And Silvas at it now.
Damp squib of a game.
Mexico very disappointing
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Frimino scores game over.
For the life of me I can't understand why they don't start him much in the same way as Germany didn't feel they needed Sane.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Jetstream wrote:Glad Croatia got through. Russia and Denmark would have been a snorefest. At least Croatia play a bit of football.
Was a bit bemused that in fitba rules there was no such thing as a penalty goal, instead of a penalty kick when Rebic rounded the keeper and was scythed down a few yards and dead centre from an open goal. The punishment? A YELLA card and the chance to put the keeper back in position.

I dont know the percentage of penalties that get scored, but lets say its 75%. The percentage of goals that get scored from where that foul occurred with no keeper in the goal must be 99.9999% An injustice that seems to have largely escaped the meeeja because (a) the result went the way of Croatia and (b) England werent involved.

Fitba hey
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Mexico just not good enough to even get near scoring.

Neymar and his antics is painful which is a shame because he has a ton of ability. Brazil get the job done and march on. Assuming Belgium don't come unstuck tonight they'll be far more a threat to Brazil I'd say.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Yep Brazil will have to step up against Belgium if they get through.
I know people love the upsets but I prefer seeing the big boys going toe to toe.
Best matches have been Spain v Portugal and France v Argentina so far as they've bought the best out of each other.
Brazil v Belgium has more appeal than Brazil v Japan where they don't have to get out of second gear again
Last edited by Liz Fraser on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

ColinM wrote:
Jetstream wrote:Glad Croatia got through. Russia and Denmark would have been a snorefest. At least Croatia play a bit of football.
Was a bit bemused that in fitba rules there was no such thing as a penalty goal, instead of a penalty kick when Rebic rounded the keeper and was scythed down a few yards and dead centre from an open goal. The punishment? A YELLA card and the chance to put the keeper back in position.

I dont know the percentage of penalties that get scored, but lets say its 75%. The percentage of goals that get scored from where that foul occurred with no keeper in the goal must be 99.9999% An injustice that seems to have largely escaped the meeeja because (a) the result went the way of Croatia and (b) England werent involved.

Fitba hey
Corinthians (the Victorian amateurs not the Brazilians) refused to defend a penalty kick as they thought it was the sporting thing to do.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Well, well, well...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What. A. Game.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

big mervyn wrote:
ColinM wrote:

Fitba hey
Corinthians (the Victorian amateurs not the Brazilians) refused to defend a penalty kick as they thought it was the sporting thing to do.
Therein is the issue, if a man is badly tackled in the box with the keeper still to beat a penalty is fair. In this instance Schmeichel should have waved the penalty through. Instead he asked for VAR.

Anyway glad to see Belgium through, they play some nice fitba even if they don't know what each other are saying

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Dave wrote:What. A. Game.
Belgian thought they would coast that and nearly got caught out fair play to Japan.

Happy that they got through as really mouth watering encounter against Brazil is next up.
Supporting Belgium because of Neymars recent antics.

Either way hope its another classic game after a couple of duller matches we saw with the Russian and Croatian games.
Liz Fraser
Squire

Post by Liz Fraser »

Sweden and Denmark bore off.
England get their excuses ready.
ENGLISH SPORTING EXCUSES # 47557851 - v Columbia 2018 world cup last 16-; They are too rested