Ulster vs Wasps

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster vs Wasps

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Have to say that whilst I don't disagree with almost all of the criticism, this thread sets a new UAFC PP for gurning at a meaningless 30 man squad friendly.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Have to say that whilst I don't disagree with almost all of the criticism, this thread sets a new UAFC PP for gurning at a meaningless 30 man squad friendly.
:cheers: Had to trawl through 5 pages of sh1te to requote myself!
UlsterNo9 wrote:I was pleased with what I did see of the nippers Andrew, Rea and Timoney, hopefully they will be given a few match day 23 places early doors to see if they can hold their own in a meaningful match.

A lot of people wetting themselves over a FRIENDLY, with multiple changes and a first hit out of the season :roll:

Estimate a crowd of 7-8k in attendance, long term future doomed with those sort of attendance figures...... something to do with it being a FRIENDLY :scratch:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Have to say that whilst I don't disagree with almost all of the criticism, this thread sets a new UAFC PP for gurning at a meaningless 30 man squad friendly.
UlsterNo9 wrote:I was pleased with what I did see of the nippers Andrew, Rea and Timoney, hopefully they will be given a few match day 23 places early doors to see if they can hold their own in a meaningful match.

A lot of people wetting themselves over a FRIENDLY, with multiple changes and a first hit out of the season :roll:

Estimate a crowd of 7-8k in attendance, long term future doomed with those sort of attendance figures...... something to do with it being a FRIENDLY :scratch:
More to do with it with being on a wet Thursday night, in my case at least. :oops:
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I live in hope that in a couple of months time we'll be saying that at least we have one decent half back (Cooney. As for the 10 position we are truly desperate.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

In fairness to the moaning, we all know we are fcuked. I don't rate Herron and had some vague hope for Pete Nelson, but he was just so slow in his distribution and lacked any confidence. I fear we are making a problem out of a promising fullback.

Having said that, the 10s need the full squad in action. They can't be fully assessed trying to run a makeshift team with 50 subs coming on.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

promenader 2 wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:

More to do with it with being on a wet Thursday night, in my case at least. :oops:
Did you go for a walk instead, Promenader?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Shirley someone who knows what a prop is for/ does, shouldn't be allowed to comment on backs? :D :duck:
Never stopped you Captn >EW
Listen, you are 100% correct, I know feck all about back play but work on the old adage, if it looks like shyte, smells like shyte and tastes like shyte, ergo its shyte.
Smallp and AhYe fall into that category sadly. For one brief month circa 2013 was it, around the time we played Castres , Ruan was out and p was making a fist of reasonableness. A false dawn sadly, followed by regression so severe, only Helen Keller could miss it.
Rodders has been the sum parts of useless for Connacht and ourselves.
No discernable rugby brain or nous, pish attitude and very questionable technique.
Ref Rory, I look forward to seeing a return of the finger signal on the bind to co-ordinate the put in. Id love to see the return of the days of the hooker hanging inside his props going hunting in the tunnel to scavenge the ball,but the new laws have rendered this unlikely. Be interesting to see what effect the new law will have on weaker scrums with the put in up against an 8 man drive.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BR wrote:Ok- if they're going to start enforcing foot-up, Rory's career is over.
Not quite what I said at the time, but same player - I commented that Rory would have to re-learn his timing rather than waiting with his foot up long before the ball comes in.
Btw Rory doesn't have to hook it.... Could be the loosehead, but the likelihood should be hooker signals put in to 9, puts in and ball most likely hooked down channel one , either between loosie and hooker or between loosies legs depending on how they' re bound.To hook between props legs, prop needs bound with his right legs slightly behind the hookers left to open that channel, hence olden days hooker dipping into tunnel to hunt it, especially if opposition hooker was likely to counter hook and challenge. Shortest route to secure ball and ensures your more likely to get strike first. But will leave you open to 8 man drive as i don't think the opposition have to strike as its not their put in. Will be intriguing to see how it plays out and should the reduce the ubiquitous crooked feed to second row, with hookers now competing/ duelling old skool hopefully lol
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cockatrice wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Why did we bother having Mcburney on the bench if we didn't use him?
Thought Cairns did well as did Best. Bowe was pish in the centre.
Ah Ye remains a total waste of a jersey. Maybe some of you will now listen to those of us who actually know what a prop is for/ does. Poor fitness, attitude and technique.
Timoney was decent too in his only apoearance of the season, and i remain convinced we should cut Smallp completely and go with either Cairns or Shanners as Cooney's back up. Shanahan has got a poor press here but i watched him in Exeter last year and he was pretty good. He was hung out to dry against Bordeaux and has wrongly been sidelined since. Smallp I have no more patience with. We just need fast, accurate and steady not chaos.
CI..... like you I think Rodney is a complete waste of a contract but hey Rory thinks he is the dogs horlix. I decided to cut him some slack after he turned up half the man he was but I have a feeling that this year will be no different....
Sadly Cockers I fear the weight loss is a result of Jonno's beasting, but Gibbes will be hard pushed to sort the mental/ mentality bit out. Herbst and Kane please.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Nelson wasn't that slow --the slow started at the breakdown and if the ball was readily available the distribution was erratic due to pressure on the scrum half .

While the back line failed to break down the defence it was a game to give players a run but Nelson when he did kick put in a couple of nice ones .

As Baggy has stated to many players of first choice were missing to make any judgement of Ulster's potential with the major dark cloud a missing 10 and an unproven 9 . Which may be a good thing if it leads to supporter expectation being lower than previous years and also makes the season a head more of an unknown .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Shirley someone who knows what a prop is for/ does, shouldn't be allowed to comment on backs? :D :duck:
Never stopped you Captn >EW
Listen, you are 100% correct, I know feck all about back play
True ... I was back so know as much about forward play as you know about back play, squared. :lol:

I did play once at hooker ... never hooked once, and finished up in hospital and the next 3 months wearing a neck collar. I also finished my playing days as a flanker, but that simply meant making scrummies nervous. Different tactics in them thar days. :D

Unfortunately although mostly a back, I also know as much about that as I do about forward play. :oops:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

UlsterNo9 wrote:

Fair enough, it was only a friendly 'run out' and the result doesn't matter. But if these lads can't pass to a team mate and can't hold onto the ball in the tackle in a friendly, what are the chances of them doing it in a real match? It was only a friendly for Wasps as well but they looked like a proper team of proper professionals.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

How about and here is just a thought....... we are dealing with exceptional circumstances and that any positives come the end of the season will be a bonus :thumleft:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Oh ok
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Nelson was better than Herron and Cairns was better than p.
Good to see LuLu back along with 2meter Peter
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best