Looks like Tommy isn't coming back to us....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Looks like Tommy isn't coming back to us....

Post by Shan »

Stade au Courant wrote:Just a 'wee' question for you all. You have metioned Tommy going to Leinster but would he get a starting berth there? It may be that would have a part to play in his decision where to go.....
He'd get a starting berth alright but Leinster do not need him.They have plenty of backs so are unlikely to want to bring him on board if they had to enter a contract war.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

Shan wrote:
Stade au Courant wrote:Just a 'wee' question for you all. You have metioned Tommy going to Leinster but would he get a starting berth there? It may be that would have a part to play in his decision where to go.....
He'd get a starting berth alright but Leinster do not need him.They have plenty of backs so are unlikely to want to bring him on board if they had to enter a contract war.
Agreed. For my money I would expect him to go where he can make an impact i.e. not Leinster. If he is to come back to Ireland i would have thought it's likely to be Ulster or Munster. I wonder why he left Ulster in the first place though? Is there bad blood?
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

There's no bad blood with the UB. And he'd start comfortably for Leinster, but it'd be a bizarre signing for them as that's where they have plenty of depth
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: If he goes >TB or :mexican: I wouldn't want him back, but that's not going to happen.
Bit strong Snipe.You a bit perturbed today?
Most days mate! :wink:

I've heard Tommy sing and crap an all as he is, he beats you lot when you start blubbering on about thon oul isle and cryin into yer stout.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

It's between Ulster and Munster as far as the Irish provinces go I reckon. Why would he go to a Province that is on the wain when he can come to us?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Shan wrote:Now seriously has anybody seen this incident? It is highly unusual for Tommy to be involved in any type of dangerous play, unless he is on the receiving end.
Fer pity's sake, Shan, don't go asking questions like that. After Darren Cave's exploits in Thomond, if Boggy gets to see it, he'll be claiming that it was actually Kaine Robertson's fault and that if it had happened in Swansea, ROBERTSON would have been penalised :twisted:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote: Most days mate! :wink:
I hear you my friend.
Snipe Watson wrote: I've heard Tommy sing and crap an all as he is, he beats you lot when you start blubbering on about thon oul isle and cryin into yer stout.
Now that is just going too far.Best singers in the country without a doubt and that dear Isle is as good as it gets. :wink:

Still one of the bus drivers that was engaged in bringing Shannon supporters up and back down for one of our
many AIL finals would disagree with me.He was telling me every time somebody was asked to sing they sang The Isle and this went on the whole way home from Dublin.He said he was ready to kill a few people by the end of it.Luckily I always went by train and we managed to vary our repertoire--we probably only sang The Isle about 10 times on the way home. :lol: :lol:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Shan wrote:Now seriously has anybody seen this incident? It is highly unusual for Tommy to be involved in any type of dangerous play, unless he is on the receiving end.
Fer pity's sake, Shan, don't go asking questions like that. After Darren Cave's exploits in Thomond, if Boggy gets to see it, he'll be claiming that it was actually Kaine Robertson's fault and that if it had happened in Swansea, ROBERTSON would have been penalised :twisted:

You make a good point Grumps.Some things are just better left alone without picking away and encouraging ridiculous conjecture and other comment.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Yes.

however, thats an interesting enough point (despite the glib response :) ), when he went to the Os there were people who didn't see him getting into their starting XV, given the big reputations there (note I say 'reputations'...), but he choose to go specifically to up his game. He'd walk into just about any team on his form in the last 24 months, but he may view the challenge at Leinster attractive.. particularly given their instinct for playing more open rugby..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

When he returns to us he could cement his place alongside Jackie Kyle, WJ McBride, Mike Gibson, David Humphreys as a true Ulster Legend. It's his call.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Jackie Brown wrote:When he returns to us he could cement his place alongside Jackie Kyle, WJ McBride, Mike Gibson, David Humphreys as a true Ulster Legend. It's his call.
You forgot Stevie Ferris :mrgreen:
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Freddie Benson wrote:
bigchiefally wrote: If he joined either of them any rights to call himself an Ulsterman would be gone.
catch a grip
He'll always be an Ulsterman
I suppose you are right, thats a dumb statement.

He would though lose an awful lot of affection I think from many of us if he lined up in Red or Blue for another Irish province.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

bigchiefally wrote: I suppose you are right, thats a dumb statement.

He would though lose an awful lot of affection I think from many of us if he lined up in Red or Blue for another Irish province.
Maybe it's just me but I don't like to think of the players in the team I support as a pet I expect to stay loyal to me and to return home after getting lost in the forest etc.To be sure you like to keep your best players at your club but if they move on to pastures new so be it, regardless of where that pasture is situated.

Tommy Bowe must do what is best for himself first and foremost as this is real life and any player driven primarily by sentiment is questionable from a professional perspective.I think Tommy's professionalism is not open to question and if he returns to Ulster you can be proud of Ulster Rugby as it means he believes this is where his career aims and dreams can be fulfilled.He certainly didn't feel that way a couple of years ago and who could blame him but you have moved on in the interim and are on the way to making it attractive for him to return.More needs to be done though to convince him that Ulster can compete consistently with the best in Europe.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

well said shan.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

I can understand players going from one club to another when contract improvements (ie money) are on the table. I can understand going to another club to get on the first teamsheet when you've been a sub and i can firmly understand the draw of moving abroad to sample another culture, style of play, better weather you name it....... fully understandable.

But rugby in Ireland isn't that simple and many snakes lurk in the grass.

I am a fervent supporter of the rugby model on our wee island: IRFU paymasters and call the shots, 4 'clubs' there for the good of the nation first, central contracts. So if Tommy were to return to Ireland, I can only imagine he'd get the same contract whether he was playing for Munster, Leinster or Ulster (sorry to discount Connacht but they are treated like the poor second cousins by the IRFU, shameful).

So why would a true Ulsterman even entertain the notion of not rejoining Ulster? It's a pretty cossetted world these Irish elite players live in (and I don't mean that in a negative sense): I would think the passion of representing your own province is the one last factor needed to influence where you actually play your provincial rugby at home?