Smoking on the Terrace

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: Smoking on the Terrace

Post by cables »

fuzzylogic wrote:ummm . . . . . ok

whats that got to do with me saying a smoking area isnt a good idea?
Must first say that I read the "ummm . . . . . ok" as an expression of disbelief.

I would suggest that having designated smoking areas IS a good idea - unlike yourself.

Your further responses suggest to me that as you had not detected air pollution from the engines, then you are highly unlikely to detect air pollution from designated smoking areas.

You did write:
Standing down wind of one smoker is also fine, but you lump 20 or 30 smokers together all puffing away at one time and your down wind of that everyone for 50 yards is going to be inhaling it!
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

As a nonsmoker it is the pleasure of getting home and not having my clothes reeking of stale smoke that is the biggest plus. The thing is you don't notice it at he time - I suspect it is the same with passive inhalation. You don't realize it but it is happening and it is not doing you any good.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

cables wrote:I happen to have a medical condition where (I believe) air quality is detected by my body and I get an 'alert signal'.
how does this alert signal manifest itself?

I would get hayfever the odd time, this 'alerts' itself by making my nose and eyes stream.
Sometimes when I eat a kebab (not sure if kebab sauce has anything to do with it or not) I get indigestion, which manifests itself in heartburn.
Sometimes when I see a female I quite like the appearance of, my arousal will be manifested with the emergence...better stop right there...

How does your alert system function?
Siren call?
Flashing amber light?
A morse code throbbing inside your head?
The crazy crazy shakes?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by cables » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:59 am

I would suggest that having designated smoking areas IS a good idea - unlike yourself.
Could you not have just said that at the start then instead of all that drivel about your imagined medical condition. I take it you cant ever leave the house for fear of a car or lorry driving past incase their engines distress you :lol:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

"imagined" - I wish.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

fuzzylogic wrote:

Could you not have just said that at the start then instead of all that drivel about your imagined medical condition. I take it you cant ever leave the house for fear of a car or lorry driving past incase their engines distress you :lol:
Fuzzy, cables doesn't require me to speak up for him, but I will anyway.

You're way out of order here. May all YOUR medical conditions be as imaginary as you perceive cables' to be.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I agree with the original post waaaaaaaaaaay back at the start...make Ravenhill a complete no smoking zone for the sake of everyones health.Freedom of choice and all that but when you are in a sports ground with a crowd of young and old the last thing you need is the stale waft of smoke blowing in your face. No problem with getting the stouts in as thats not impacting on anyone else directly but the fags are no good...and 'no' I am not an ex smoker etc...
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

Beattiespastie wrote:I agree with the original post waaaaaaaaaaay back at the start...make Ravenhill a complete no smoking zone for the sake of everyones health.Freedom of choice and all that but when you are in a sports ground with a crowd of young and old the last thing you need is the stale waft of smoke blowing in your face. No problem with getting the stouts in as thats not impacting on anyone else directly but the fags are no good...and 'no' I am not an ex smoker etc...

If you can get a stale waft of smoke in yer face from my cigarette when I'm standing having a puff between the beer tent and the Aquinas end, it's because your face is in mine. Jaysus, a feg only lasts 30 seconds the wind's that strong.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:

Fuzzy, cables doesn't require me to speak up for him, but I will anyway.

You're way out of order here. May all YOUR medical conditions be as imaginary as you perceive cables' to be.
You got that right Grumps :cheers:

Injudicious post by Mr F Logic ? :shock:

Not even his first today :lol: :lol: :lol: perhaps it should be Mr F Wit ?

(Note to Mr Logic - I was trying to be pleasant but you seemed to resent it. How am I doing now? Better?)

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Aye Yer Ma ...Dont agree at all mate...Inside a sports ground that SHOULD promote healthy living and NOT some punter sucking the life out of a fag...have your tabs before entering the gound and if you cannot wait a couple of hours until your next one then you have problems mate...by all means sup a cold one but lay off the old smokes for the sakes of that one kid who could inhale that crap by merely walking through Ravenhills turnstiles. Yes the old pints can do you a bad turn long term but they only do YOU a bad turn and not some kid out to watch his heroes.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Beattiespastie wrote:Aye Yer Ma ...Dont agree at all mate...Inside a sports ground that SHOULD promote healthy living and NOT some punter sucking the life out of a fag...have your tabs before entering the gound and if you cannot wait a couple of hours until your next one then you have problems mate...by all means sup a cold one but lay off the old smokes for the sakes of that one kid who could inhale that crap by merely walking through Ravenhills turnstiles. Yes the old pints can do you a bad turn long term but they only do YOU a bad turn and not some kid out to watch his heroes.
:roll:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

there's too much cotton-wooling off kids these days.

i mean, parents are frightened stiff that their precious little angel will scuff his/her knee and won't let him/her build ramps for their BMX, climb trees, etc etc.

how many tree houses built out of pallets in a back garden do you see these days?

the odd dose of germs helps build a kid's immune system, and a bit of passive smoking never hurt anyone...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:and a bit of passive smoking never hurt anyone...
Roy Castle?
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:there's too much cotton-wooling off kids these days.

i mean, parents are frightened stiff that their precious little angel will scuff his/her knee and won't let him/her build ramps for their BMX, climb trees, etc etc.

how many tree houses built out of pallets in a back garden do you see these days?

the odd dose of germs helps build a kid's immune system, and a bit of passive smoking never hurt anyone...
You were doing so well there Welder, every word as if from the mouth of a true sage and then...........
moondance wrote:Roy Castle?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Quality, Moon. :salut:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Well, I don't smoke, never have, never will, disgusting habit.

However the Terrace is open air, on a dark, windy night at Ravenhill does it really matter??? All this passive smoking talk, yeah fair enough in a pub, car, enclosed space. I don't think you can really term standing next to a smoker on a windy terrace as passive smoking. Surely there is a vast difference in parts per million and air quality between the two situations. Next thing you'll be calling for the banning of cars driving down the Ravenhill/Cregagh Roads on match night, or do they not matter as you get a benefit from them?

Some very precious people on here, you can tell we've got no rugby to discuss!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999