Cheerleaders ..... ?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Cheerleaders ..... ?

Post by Ithryn »

Lads dont be so negative, wouldnt want to see you out there dancing.

No need to public insult people.
Why? Why not?
ulstergal09
Novice

Post by ulstergal09 »

For what my opinion is worth, I hope I never have to suffer through that again.. I’d rather have red-hot pokers stuck in my eyes.

Firstly, for them to be Ulster Rugby’s ''official'' dance troupe, it was the first I’d ever heard of them.

Secondly, for them to be Ulster Rugby’s official ''dance troupe'' it was diabolical – their prancing around the field was all out of time to the music for a start.

It did not come across as a professional outfit and it was certainly not entertaining. I found it embarrassing and uncomfortable to stand through. I go to Ravenhill with my friends, boyfriend or family to watch a game of rugby – not to see a dozen scantily-clad women attempt to look good while prancing about.

Like I said before, it was not entertaining. If UR are looking for half-time entertainment, why not give it to the Newforge Taggers. Anytime they have been on the pitch at half-time, it has been a joy to watch – the supporters enjoy it, as do the kids and they truly appreciate the opportunity to play in front of a large crowd.
"No leadership, no ideas. Not even enough imagination to thump someone in the line-up when the ref wasn't looking."
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ulstergal09 wrote: Like I said before, it was not entertaining. If UR are looking for half-time entertainment, why not give it to the Newforge Taggers. Anytime they have been on the pitch at half-time, it has been a joy to watch – the supporters enjoy it, as do the kids and they truly appreciate the opportunity to play in front of a large crowd.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: They were not on at half time it was mini rugby :cheers:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

They did however create the funniest moment of the night when the announcer said "I I wanted to move like that I'd have to be hit by a bus!"

That said the girls tried but it doesn't fit the occasion c
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

ulstergal09 wrote:For what my opinion is worth, I hope I never have to suffer through that again.. I’d rather have red-hot pokers stuck in my eyes.

Firstly, for them to be Ulster Rugby’s ''official'' dance troupe, it was the first I’d ever heard of them. Secondly, for them to be Ulster Rugby’s official ''dance troupe'' it was diabolical – their prancing around the field was all out of time to the music for a start.

It did not come across as a professional outfit and it was certainly not entertaining. I found it embarrassing and uncomfortable to stand through. I go to Ravenhill with my friends, boyfriend or family to watch a game of rugby – not to see a dozen scantily-clad women attempt to look good while prancing about. Like I said before, it was not entertaining. If UR are looking for half-time entertainment, why not give it to the Newforge Taggers. Anytime they have been on the pitch at half-time, it has been a joy to watch – the supporters enjoy it, as do the kids and they truly appreciate the opportunity to play in front of a large crowd.
It was the first game at which they have performed, they started recruiting members in January, they have a website, Facebook page and Twitter feed, they have been discussed on UAFC, FRU and I think URSC - the fact that you have not heard of them proves nothing.

You thought their dancing was diabolical, are you in any way qualified to judge? - could you do any better?

You go to Ravenhill to watch a game of rugby? Really?
Do you remember this post of yours from 22 Jan 09?
Okay, I whittled down my list to ten.. the order can vary though!!

1. Ian Humphreys
2. Darren Cave
3. Niall O'Connor
4. Tommy Bowe
5. Cillian Willis
6. Simon Danielli
7. Stephen Ferris
8. Bryn Cunningham
9. Isaac Boss
10. Ed O'Donoghue
Scantily-clad? Get a grip! I take it you haven't seen some of the 'young ladies' walking along the Terrace, especially in the Autumn and Spring? The Rockettes were over dressed by comparison.

The Rockettes appeared on the pitch before the game and at the gate as the teams ran on at the start, they were not 'half-time entertainment' but don't let facts get in the way of a good bitchy rant!
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

moondance wrote:
ulstergal09 wrote:For what my opinion is worth, I hope I never have to suffer through that again.. I’d rather have red-hot pokers stuck in my eyes.

Firstly, for them to be Ulster Rugby’s ''official'' dance troupe, it was the first I’d ever heard of them. Secondly, for them to be Ulster Rugby’s official ''dance troupe'' it was diabolical – their prancing around the field was all out of time to the music for a start.

It did not come across as a professional outfit and it was certainly not entertaining. I found it embarrassing and uncomfortable to stand through. I go to Ravenhill with my friends, boyfriend or family to watch a game of rugby – not to see a dozen scantily-clad women attempt to look good while prancing about. Like I said before, it was not entertaining. If UR are looking for half-time entertainment, why not give it to the Newforge Taggers. Anytime they have been on the pitch at half-time, it has been a joy to watch – the supporters enjoy it, as do the kids and they truly appreciate the opportunity to play in front of a large crowd.
It was the first game at which they have performed, they started recruiting members in January, they have a website, Facebook page and Twitter feed, they have been discussed on UAFC, FRU and I think URSC - the fact that you have not heard of them proves nothing.

You thought their dancing was diabolical, are you in any way qualified to judge? - could you do any better?

1. Ian Humphreys
2. Darren Cave
3. Niall O'Connor
4. Tommy Bowe
5. Cillian Willis
6. Simon Danielli
7. Stephen Ferris
8. Bryn Cunningham
9. Isaac Boss
10. Ed O'Donoghue
Scantily-clad? Get a grip! I take it you haven't seen some of the 'young ladies' walking along the Terrace, especially in the Autumn and Spring? The Rockettes were over dressed by comparison.

The Rockettes appeared on the pitch before the game and at the gate as the teams ran on at the start, they were not 'half-time entertainment' but don't let facts get in the way of a good bitchy rant!
I don't need any qualifications to know that the dancing, however well intended, was poor. Whether they are on facebook, twitter or a website is by the by, it was tried and in my opinion did not work. They are already advertising they are going to be at Aironi but unless they make a drastic change to what they do, I cannot see it working.
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

bangorboy,

I personally don't see why cheerleaders or dancers are needed at Ravenhill or any other rugby ground.

It wouldn't worry me if they never appeared again. I just didn't like such a bitchy, self righteous, hypocritical post.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Didn't see them; didn't want to see them. From these accounts, they looked like a bunch of amateurs, which I presume they are. As somebody else said, at least they're giving it a lash. Did they make more mistakes than James Jones? Provided they don't take the HT gig from the youngsters, I suppose there isn't really a problem. I'll reserve final judgment until we hear from HWM on the subject.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

I think the whole thing is disgusting. Cheerleading has nothing to do with rugby, and to be honest I'm embarrassed for the girls involved. what message does the branch think this sends? Never mind anything else, I fail to see how it sells a single extra ticket, apart from the 50 or so people who come to see the dancers themselves because they know them. That's local paper economics and we know the state of local papers...

Have been tempted to write an actual letter of complaint to the branch but of course have not gotten around to it

Maybe instead the branch could do something progressive and helpful to the game like putting women's games on before ulster games held on a Saturday...
ulstergal09
Novice

Post by ulstergal09 »

moondance wrote:

1. Ian Humphreys
2. Darren Cave
3. Niall O'Connor
4. Tommy Bowe
5. Cillian Willis
6. Simon Danielli
7. Stephen Ferris
8. Bryn Cunningham
9. Isaac Boss
10. Ed O'Donoghue

Okay, so Facebook, Twitter and all the rest you listed spoke about them – UR didn’t, that was my point.

Well, if you want to go down that road, yes actually. I was a qualified dancer for four years, performing in shows and competitions throughout Ireland and the UK.. Anything else?

As for my post back in January last year? What’s your point – it was for one game, in one of the fun threads – don’t tell me you’ve never written about something other than rugby on here. Did you make a list of the dancers last night?

I stand at the Prom side, so can’t comment.

I didn’t say they were half-time entertainment. I said if UR were looking for half-time entertainment, to give it to the Taggers. I don’t really care about what happens before the game – it’s not like they entertained the whole time before kick-off anyway.

Call me bitchy all you want, but it seems you find it acceptable for the men on here to slag them off, but not a woman.

So, is it bitchy, or double standards to you?

edit: "I just didn't like such a bitchy, self righteous, hypocritical post."

I am not self-righteous nor hypocritical (by the way, can you try and explain the hypocritical part to me?).. but I'll happily go through all your posts (like you did with mine) and try and find a bitchy, self-righteous, hypocritical post of yours.
Last edited by ulstergal09 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No leadership, no ideas. Not even enough imagination to thump someone in the line-up when the ref wasn't looking."
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

I see on their website they are claiming they 'inspired' Ulster to a bonus point victory.

Talk about self promotion...
ulstergal09
Novice

Post by ulstergal09 »

bangorboy wrote:I see on their website they are claiming they 'inspired' Ulster to a bonus point victory.

Talk about self promotion...
Moondance, now that's a self-righteous quote if ever I heard one. But dont' let facts get in the way.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

Feck me... If this thread proves anything it's that some people seriously need to get a life.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

ulstergal09 wrote:
moondance wrote:

1. Ian Humphreys
2. Darren Cave
3. Niall O'Connor
4. Tommy Bowe
5. Cillian Willis
6. Simon Danielli
7. Stephen Ferris
8. Bryn Cunningham
9. Isaac Boss
10. Ed O'Donoghue

Okay, so Facebook, Twitter and all the rest you listed spoke about them – UR didn’t, that was my point.

Well, if you want to go down that road, yes actually. I was a qualified dancer for four years, performing in shows and competitions throughout Ireland and the UK.. Anything else?

As for my post back in January last year? What’s your point – it was for one game, in one of the fun threads – don’t tell me you’ve never written about something other than rugby on here. Did you make a list of the dancers last night?

I stand at the Prom side, so can’t comment.

I didn’t say they were half-time entertainment. I said if UR were looking for half-time entertainment, to give it to the Taggers. I don’t really care about what happens before the game – it’s not like they entertained the whole time before kick-off anyway.

Call me bitchy all you want, but it seems you find it acceptable for the men on here to slag them off, but not a woman.

So, is it bitchy, or double standards to you?

edit: "I just didn't like such a bitchy, self righteous, hypocritical post."

I am not self-righteous nor hypocritical (by the way, can you try and explain the hypocritical part to me?).. but I'll happily go through all your posts (like you did with mine) and try and find a bitchy, self-righteous, hypocritical post of yours.
So, you are more 'qualified' to comment on the quality or otherwise of the dancing than I am - I don't understand dancing at all, I can't see the point in shows or competitions.

You did not say "why have UR not mentioned them before?", you said you'd never heard of them before, I was pointing out that they have been mentioned on various UR related sources - including the players Tweets (URSC).

You go to Ravenhill to watch rugby, that's all I assume - so your top ten list is based on playing ability? I somehow doubt it. Or is it ok for women to 'eye up' the players? Scantily dressed players at that, wearing shorts, naked legs - shock horror!

I still don't see why you needed to mention halftime entertainment at all - has anyone suggested that the Rockettes are going to perform at half time?

No, I didn't make a list of the dancers last night, couldn't tell you what any of them are called (there are apparently photos on their website) -as I've already replied to bangorboy, it wouldn't worry me if they never appeared again.

And by the way I didn't check back through your posts to see what you had previously posted, just the other day I was checking back through some of Gemma's posts looking for the top ten list she made and I remembered your name from that thread.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

ulstergal09 wrote:Well, if you want to go down that road, yes actually. I was a qualified dancer for four years, performing in shows and competitions throughout Ireland and the UK.. Anything else?
I don't really want to enter this debate - I was there in time to see the performance (just), but didn't actually watch it as it was of no interest to me, so I cannot comment on the quality or otherwise, and I don't actually care if they do or do not come back - if they want to do it, fine, they do no harm, but if they don't come back, I certainly won't miss them.

What I am intrigued about though is your assertion that you WERE a "qualified dancer" for four years. I can understand a qualified dance teacher, or how you can "train" as a dancer, but am interested in how you qualify as a dancer, and how that qualification is time limited? Purely out of curiosity, you understand - I have no inclination in pursuing such a qualification, and certainly no talent that would allow me to do so even if I wanted to.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right