Aironi v Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Aironi v Ulster

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote: I hope we aren't going to get Aironi as our first away match every season.
I'm pretty sure they try to get ERC opponents playing their league games in the first couple of weeks. So be careful what you hope for!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: I hope we aren't going to get Aironi as our first away match every season.
I'm pretty sure they try to get ERC opponents playing their league games in the first couple of weeks. So be careful what you hope for!
A different week from the Italian F1 would be appreciated though
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

BR wrote:The mauling last week (although not mentioned much in the +/- thread) was a pleasant surprise, and perhaps something that could be developed on Saturday.
Yeah and remember we picked up 2 tries from the maul over there in the Heineken cup last year so I would love to see them try to use it and develop it this weekend.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

BR wrote:
It gets one of the two non televised games over and done with as well.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Red Hand Hero wrote:Good team no surprises, hope for strong opening 50 minutes to allow the likes of Porter, Marshall and Jackson to get a run out.

Out of interest could someone please explain to me why in gods name we should be 'resting' players after one competitive game? Ideally, injury and form permitting, there will be minimal changes in these opening six games to enable the guys to breed familiarity with eachother in each game that passes. Never mind the three week break their getting at the end of this period. The only tight turnaround we have is between the Ospreys away and NGD away matches if i remember rightly in which case you'd maybe expect a few guys getting a breather.

It's called developing a squad....
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Red Hand Hero wrote:Good team no surprises, hope for strong opening 50 minutes to allow the likes of Porter, Marshall and Jackson to get a run out.

Out of interest could someone please explain to me why in gods name we should be 'resting' players after one competitive game? Ideally, injury and form permitting, there will be minimal changes in these opening six games to enable the guys to breed familiarity with eachother in each game that passes. Never mind the three week break their getting at the end of this period. The only tight turnaround we have is between the Ospreys away and NGD away matches if i remember rightly in which case you'd maybe expect a few guys getting a breather.
I wouldn't say there is much difference between Barker and Stevenson, might as well switch them and keep them both fresh in my opinion, if anything Stevenson was a bit quieter last week so perhaps the rest is a wake up ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Red Hand Hero wrote:
Jockster wrote: It's called developing a squad....
Its really not, its called needless meddling. We have 9 players unvailable (10 if you include Payne) yet after an opening match when we looked a bit rusty with players and key combinations not looking overly familar with eachother we're looking to make unenforced changes already. At the moment it is about getting your strongest XV and 8 subs out there to win as many of these opening 6 games as possible to put the team in a strong position for the return of the internationals and the start of the HEC.

Other players will get their chances because injuries, poor performances etc will undoubtedly occur so there is absolutely no need to be tinkering so soon.
Barker, I believe, was nursing a slight knock last week and thus came back into the fray when fit. Stevenson did well enough but Barker had a strong season last year and deserves his shot this week.
Yeah and when these injuries come the players you want to bring in will not have had a competitive game for weeks. Say Hump gets injured in the Cardiff game (God forbid). Jackson steps in and you'll expect him to play brilliantly even though he won't have had any game time since the summer??!!

I think you and many others have missed the point of my post. I wasn't advocating making wholesale changes for the sake of it. What I said was you could replace Wanneberg with Diack or the Greek with Brady without in any way weakening the team. Diack & Brady need game time and I would rather give them that this week against Aironi then next against Cardiff. I also said I wouldn't change the backs from the start to ensure that the combinations get a chance to develop. However Porter & Jackson also need game time.

Whats the point of having a squad if we're not going to use it. I love the way people think that players not on the team will be able to walk right in and play well when injuries occur, even though they haven't played in weeks. :duh:
LTHG
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

lovesthehardground wrote:
Red Hand Hero wrote:
Its really not, its called needless meddling. We have 9 players unvailable (10 if you include Payne) yet after an opening match when we looked a bit rusty with players and key combinations not looking overly familar with eachother we're looking to make unenforced changes already. At the moment it is about getting your strongest XV and 8 subs out there to win as many of these opening 6 games as possible to put the team in a strong position for the return of the internationals and the start of the HEC.

Other players will get their chances because injuries, poor performances etc will undoubtedly occur so there is absolutely no need to be tinkering so soon.
Barker, I believe, was nursing a slight knock last week and thus came back into the fray when fit. Stevenson did well enough but Barker had a strong season last year and deserves his shot this week.
Yeah and when these injuries come the players you want to bring in will not have had a competitive game for weeks. Say Hump gets injured in the Cardiff game (God forbid). Jackson steps in and you'll expect him to play brilliantly even though he won't have had any game time since the summer??!!

I think you and many others have missed the point of my post. I wasn't advocating making wholesale changes for the sake of it. What I said was you could replace Wanneberg with Diack or the Greek with Brady without in any way weakening the team. Diack & Brady need game time and I would rather give them that this week against Aironi then next against Cardiff. I also said I wouldn't change the backs from the start to ensure that the combinations get a chance to develop. However Porter & Jackson also need game time.

Whats the point of having a squad if we're not going to use it. I love the way people think that players not on the team will be able to walk right in and play well when injuries occur, even though they haven't played in weeks. :duh:

+1 LTHG
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

+1 lads. the days of playing the same 15 week in, week out are long over. Guys like Gaston, brady, marshall and diack are pretty much as good as the players starting. Make use of them. We'll need our strongest side V cardiff as they'll be one of our trop 4 opponents. That said, it's incredibly important to win in aironi so I'd make no more that 3 changes.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Lot of people seem to think this is a match for swapping a few players, giving game time etc, it's not, and if the players think Aironi is going to be the pushover that some on here think then they will be coming home with nil points on the league table this weekend, it happened Biarritz and it will happen again this year, they are not a certain 5 points home or away for any side.
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I'd take 5 wins out of 5 anyday over 4 wins with BPs and a defeat!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Rooster wrote:Lot of people seem to think this is a match for swapping a few players, giving game time etc, it's not, and if the players think Aironi is going to be the pushover that some on here think then they will be coming home with nil points on the league table this weekend, it happened Biarritz and it will happen again this year, they are not a certain 5 points home or away for any side.
It doesn't matter who the opposition is--McGlocks et al need to balance the need for having a squad of players from which a team is selected that can do the business. It would be naive of anyone to think this is a certain 5 pointer--a win and a decent performance will be a good result. Anything more is a bonus. :red:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jockster wrote:

+1 LTHG
+2 LTHG

Although I'd like to point out that at this stage in the season, as RHH says, there are 9 players out so we don't have much room for rotation. When everyone is back I think it will be more of realistic feature. Rotation should only happen in competitive areas and I think there aren't enough in the squad right now, with the WC on. I realistically you could only say that we could rotate at 2, 2nd row bar Touhy, 8 but then Henry was too good to drop, and possibly wing but not Gilroy. Some players are like neccessary cogs for the side to function and not open for change if fit. I think McGlocks got the balance right considering the current availability.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Rooster wrote:Lot of people seem to think this is a match for swapping a few players, giving game time etc, it's not, and if the players think Aironi is going to be the pushover that some on here think then they will be coming home with nil points on the league table this weekend, it happened Biarritz and it will happen again this year, they are not a certain 5 points home or away for any side.
Totally agree Rooster. A good start to the season is vital this year and Aironi should not be taken for granted. However the changes that I have suggested would not necessarily weaken the team. Is the Greek better than Brady? If so by how much? Same with Diack & Wanneberg.
LTHG
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Red Hand Hero wrote:

100% same hymnsheet. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.