UAFC guide to Twickenham

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyB
Warrior Chief

Re: UAFC guide to Twickenham

Post by AndyB »

Recommend any decent restaurants for saturday evening?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Any reports on this one from the locals ?
http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub-food ... /pid-C0462
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Big Smoke Culchie wrote:To be honest, as little time spent in Twickenham the better. It's a dump. There are a couple of pubs near the river, other than that it's like Larne on a bad night.

If you're heading in that direction before the match I suggest you head to Richmond and get some beers in by the River. If you're bringing the missus, she can do some shopping while you hoe down on the Guinness. If you're smart, book a table at one of the restaurants before you head to Twickenham. Just turning up and asking for a table at 7pm when there's a game on at Twickers is guaranteed to have you go hungry.

It's even possible to do a pub crawl to Twickenham, if you're that way inclined. Personally I'd get drunk in Richmond then train it to Twickenham (2 stops). It's only a short stagger to the ground from the station.
hmm. not to sound like a precious local but there are at least six great pubs for both food and drink in twickenham

- the albany
- the royal oak
- the sussex arms
- the alexander pope
- the fox
- the white swan

(white swan (twickenham) shouldn't be confused with the white cross (richmond) - though both are nice)

Plus at least three above average curry houses

to be honest, there are almost more decent pubs in twickenham than richmond these days. i can't think of a single bar in richmond i'd recommend for food. there's The Duke but the staff are grumpy and the prices are well over the top for what is average gastropub food. the orange tree is great but one of the busiest pubs on a matchday
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote:Any reports on this one from the locals ?
http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub-food ... /pid-C0462
Yeah, it is a decent enough pub on a nice spot by the river. I've never eaten there so don't know what the food is like. It is about a mile from the stadium (when arriving at Twickenham station you go left into town rather than right towards the stadium)
RichmondRedHand
Novice

Post by RichmondRedHand »

I would probably head back in to Richmond for food and it probably makes sense to book something, given the numbers of people around. There's a nice Gaucho steakhouse on the river, Fat Boys is quite good for Thai, Tangawizi is a great Indian restaurant (both near Richmond Bridge). On Hill Street/Quadrant area, there's the Pig's Ear (pub grub), the Duke, Cote, a Strada and a Pizza Express, as well as a very nice fish restaurant (Fishworks). There are also things like Nando's and various Japanese options (Maki on Kew Rd is quite good). Further up Richmond Hill there is Chez Lindsay (very good French), a Gourmet Burger and a couple of other mid-priced options.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Original post edited with a few pub suggestions in Twickenham and Richmond.

On Richmond eating options, +1 for Chez Lindsay but it is very small so booking probably needed on Saturday. Gaucho has a great location by the river but again, booking probably needed for Saturday.

Lots of other chain restaurants as well like Wagamama, Zizzi, Carluccio's and Slug & Lettuce (wouldn't even mention it except it has a great location by the river)
isleofwighter
Initiate

Post by isleofwighter »

Ah ha....... Knew it. A closet Slug and Lettuce Boy.

Remember, Truth will out! :wink:
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

aarons wrote:
Big Smoke Culchie wrote:To be honest, as little time spent in Twickenham the better. It's a dump. There are a couple of pubs near the river, other than that it's like Larne on a bad night.

If you're heading in that direction before the match I suggest you head to Richmond and get some beers in by the River. If you're bringing the missus, she can do some shopping while you hoe down on the Guinness. If you're smart, book a table at one of the restaurants before you head to Twickenham. Just turning up and asking for a table at 7pm when there's a game on at Twickers is guaranteed to have you go hungry.

It's even possible to do a pub crawl to Twickenham, if you're that way inclined. Personally I'd get drunk in Richmond then train it to Twickenham (2 stops). It's only a short stagger to the ground from the station.
hmm. not to sound like a precious local but there are at least six great pubs for both food and drink in twickenham

- the albany
- the royal oak
- the sussex arms
- the alexander pope
- the fox
- the white swan

(white swan (twickenham) shouldn't be confused with the white cross (richmond) - though both are nice)

Plus at least three above average curry houses

to be honest, there are almost more decent pubs in twickenham than richmond these days. i can't think of a single bar in richmond i'd recommend for food. there's The Duke but the staff are grumpy and the prices are well over the top for what is average gastropub food. the orange tree is great but one of the busiest pubs on a matchday
He says he likes Twickenham. I say I like Richmond

There's only one thing for it.

FIGHT!
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

How easy is it to get back to central London late at night from twickenham/Richmond should we care to dine/drink there following the match? What's the latest for trains/buses/tube etc?
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

fermain wrote:How easy is it to get back to central London late at night from twickenham/Richmond should we care to dine/drink there following the match? What's the latest for trains/buses/tube etc?
about midnight in both cases for train and tube. there is a nightbus from twickenham to central london as well but I can't say i've ever taken it
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

fermain wrote:How easy is it to get back to central London late at night from twickenham/Richmond should we care to dine/drink there following the match? What's the latest for trains/buses/tube etc?
Last District line train from Richmond to central London is 00:03 on Sunday.

Last Overground train from Richmond is 23:00 on Saturday (this doesn't go to central London but loops around north London)

Last SouthWest trains from Richmond to Waterloo is 00:15 on Sunday.

Last SouthWest trains from Twickenham to Waterloo is 00:11 on Sunday.

To check the tube situation when you arrive in Waterloo, first and last times are here:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1129.aspx

Night buses run through the night. N22 goes through Twickenham and Richmond to Piccadilly Circus, 33 through Twickenham and Richmond to Hammersmith.

Map here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround ... -13833.pdf
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround ... ough=night

Then there is the black taxi or mini cab option - more likely to be mini cabs the later it gets. Mini cabs are meant to be booked and aren't meant to pick people off the street, but they do, and you'll get drivers loitering around outside busy pubs looking for fares. You agree a fare with the minicab driver before you go - you can try haggling to get a bit off. Definitely don't get a minicab off the street if you are a woman on your own but a group is fine.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Mikerob - as our man on the ball with all things in London, can you tell me the easiest and cheapest way to get from St Pancras/Kingscross area to Twickenham and will it be cheaper with an Oystercard or just less hassle and if cheaper please remind me how and where to get an Oyster Card if it aint too late.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Mikerob - as our man on the ball with all things in London, can you tell me the easiest and cheapest way to get from St Pancras/Kingscross area to Twickenham and will it be cheaper with an Oystercard or just less hassle and if cheaper please remind me how and where to get an Oyster Card if it aint too late.
Cheaper and less hassle, https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Mikerob - as our man on the ball with all things in London, can you tell me the easiest and cheapest way to get from St Pancras/Kingscross area to Twickenham and will it be cheaper with an Oystercard or just less hassle and if cheaper please remind me how and where to get an Oyster Card if it aint too late.
Easiest would be:
- get underground to Waterloo. If you leave from Kings Cross/St P station, you'll need to change lines (Victoria line to Oxford Circus then change to Bakerloo line to Waterloo) or, it may be easier just to walk to Euston station which is near Kings Cross and get Northern line from there direct to Waterloo.

Or, if you want the cheapest way, just walk to Waterloo - it is about 2 miles from Kings Cross so not that far.

- get South West trains from Waterloo to Twickenham. 8 trains an hour with the fast train taking about 20 minutes and the slow train taking about 30 mins with more stops.

Single from Kings Cross to Twickenham using Oystercard should be £4.10. Paying cash will be, I think, £8.40.

Oystercards available from here - they are pretty quick at sending them out.

http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/

You need to remember to swipe in & out both ends or else you get charged maximum fare. Not a problem at most stations as they have barriers, but at Twickenham, I think, they may not have barriers in operation because of the crowds so you need to look out for the card readers.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I usually get an off peak travel card when I'm in Lahndan. Lets you travel all day on tubes/buses on sat/sun or after 9:30am on weekdays. Excellent if you're making lots of journeys - £7 for zones 1-2 (central London), £7.70 for zones 1-4 (includes Richmond).

I think the Oyster card involves an initial start up cost of £5 and then about £2 a journey after that.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall