How To Honour Nevin

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: How To Honour Nevin

Post by ruckover »

The PRO12 say they will talk to Ulster about the game on Friday in the next few days - my guess is Ulster will want to postpone.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Novice

Post by KenDoddsDadsDogsDead »

Far too early even to think.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
What's the point of a rhetorical question
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

I'll heading to Ravenhill to pay my respects this afternoon.
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

a postponement will hopefully be inevitable, I'm sure Zebre and the league will be accommodating given the tragedy. I haven't been able to get my head round it and I'm only a spectator, Lord knows what the lads close to him are feeling. hopefully as a club Ulster can do something to be a source of support or comfort to the Spence family, the league will surely do something as a mark of respect.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Rooster wrote:Some of the interprovincials have trophys as far as I can remember from years ago ? Perhaps the Ravens v Munster fixture should be held each year for a trophy in his name ? In addition part of the takings for the day or a collection at the gate could be sent to the Ulster Farmers Union charity appeal they aid through Fields of Life http://www.ufuni.org/Africa_Appeal.aspx
I'm not sure if I'm breaking any confidences here, so won't name names, but a very high profile person within UR is heavily involved with that charity and has recently been to Uganda in support of it - it could be a runner.

However, FRB is correct - it is too soon, and the family's wishes should be paramount. It may be some time before they can even contemplate any such issues.
FRB is talking about how the family honour their lost sons and father. Which will be an unimaginably painful process.

I think we are talking about how we as fans honour our lost player, which is not the same thing. The remaining family members will not be in a position to consider what they want to do for a long time. However a fitting tribute from the fans will without doubt be acceptable to the family.
The situation for fans is that we (I) would like to do something and the best time to do that is soon. Any fitting tribute will take time to organise and bring to fruition, by that time, the family may be in a position to be involved.
Having said that, a public forum is not the place for such a discussion.
Coppo Tiger
Novice

Post by Coppo Tiger »

Apologies if I am invading your website (as a Leicester Tigers Fan) and if I am on the wrong thread but just wanted to know I am sorry for your loss and that my thoughts are with the family of Nevin and Ulster Rugby club at this time.

All the best from Leicester.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Coppo Tiger wrote:Apologies if I am invading your website (as a Leicester Tigers Fan) and if I am on the wrong thread but just wanted to know I am sorry for your loss and that my thoughts are with the family of Nevin and Ulster Rugby club at this time.

All the best from Leicester.
No apology required and thank you
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Could be an idea to all start clapping at the 12th minute of the next match we play (whenever it is) to honour his number. They did that for Gary Steele and Stan Petrov in the soccer. I thought it was a nice tribute.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

Just down at Ravers. Plenty of folk coming and going. Grounds open until about 5pm or so. Flowers, scarves and flags building up at the Memorial End fence.
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Gael wrote:Could be an idea to all start clapping at the 12th minute of the next match we play (whenever it is) to honour his number. They did that for Gary Steele and Stan Petrov in the soccer. I thought it was a nice tribute.
I like that idea, only problem is, was he a 12 or a 13? A 2min applause at 12 - 13 minutes.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Not sure that would always work within the context of a rugby game - depends what is happening during the game. Would be entirely inappropriate dring a kick or when an injury had occurred for example.

I'm sure there will be ample opportunity afforded for everyone to pay an appropriate tribute.

I do like the Leinster/Munster fans intention to sing Stand Up.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Ach I think any team would afford us the courtesy. I just feel so utterly useless and desperate to pay tribute but have no idea how to.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Gael wrote:Could be an idea to all start clapping at the 12th minute of the next match we play (whenever it is) to honour his number. They did that for Gary Steele and Stan Petrov in the soccer. I thought it was a nice tribute.
I like that idea, only problem is, was he a 12 or a 13? A 2min applause at 12 - 13 minutes.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2
Nice thoughts guys would be a fitting tribute.
Last edited by Dave on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I am sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes but I fully agree with those who think its not time for this discussion, its time to consider the Spence family & not what rugby wants or needs, especially not today.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Nail on the head there Baggy and not for the first time.

Edwin Poots words have been posted already and we would all do well to spare a few more of our thoughts for the lady who has lost her husband and two sons, the girls who have lost father and two brothers, the girl who has lost a husband and bless them the kids who have lost their father, uncle and grandfather.