Positives and Negatives: Ulster v Glasgow

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: Positives and Negatives: Ulster v Glasgow

Post by stickinout »

Setanta wrote:Thought they all deserved medals. It was a fiolthy horrendous evening with pouring, freezing cold rain; an absolute deluge at times. Yet we played the rugby, handled exceptionally well in those conditions and won the game. Let me see, first through to the European quarter finals and eleven points clear in the league. What do I read here, a few scuffed drop-outs, an unlucky yellow card, ball kicked out instead of going for the bonus point. Ach, ye poor wee diddums, doubt most of ye could catch a cold in those conditions. Away and straighten your knickers!
I'm with you Setanta :salut:
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Like I said ruck I wouldnt rule out a bp over there as they are out of the running for Europe and need a miracle to get Amilin qualification.
As I said before they have a massive away game in Bayonne 5 days later as they lie 4th and would need to stay there for a home play off place in the Top 14.
Top 14 rugby games have always generally been the priority for French teams without the strong squads to compete in both.
From their viewpoint it would be crazy to target our game as a priority also Northampton and the Scarlets have both won there on the last game of the group in the last 2 years.
Not to say our task will be easy but it should be made easier with this in mind.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I'm not convinced they'll roll over. I know they have the whole 'history' of throwing in the towel in Round 6 once they're out, but strictly speaking they can still get a runners-up spot and possibly go through. Unlikely yes, but possible.

Hopefully I'm wrong. As you say, they play Bayonne in the Top14 only 5 days later so their focus could be fully on that, which it should be. If we can get the bonus point there then we should be in a great position for a home QF.

However, I'm not going to pass judgement until the Sarries game this afternoon. I'd say it all comes down to the result in that game. Possibly the Ospreys v Leicester game too.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

BPH wrote:The mate that used my season ticket tonight, said that he was impressed by McComb when he came on - added some real physicality. Couldn't really judge from TV, but I'd like to see Henderson revert back to 6 and Neil start in the row
Agree with this BPH. Hendo loses something in open play when at lock, and wasn't really used in lineout either. Keep him at 6, altho' Diack was again excellent until he went off. Also noticed Diack seemed to be calling the throws? Interesting dilemma, based on availability. I thought Hendo's game improved when back at 6, and his drive created Paynes try. Something he singularly failed to do in the 70 in beforehand. Some strength tho for a 20 y.o. Lock at this level is one or two years too early for him imo. He needs some extra muscle.. >EW

I reckon MA will still play Hendo at lock with Lewis, and keep Diack, Wilson/NW (depending on fitness) and Chad versus Castres to start. My concern is that Castres have a lot of ballast, so gut would be to put in McComb, and start either Hendo/ Diack, with the other an impact sub- on current form, that would be Hendo as bench, & who can cover lock and 6. RD is playing the better rugby atm, and if he's calling the L.O.'s and taking responsibility, then he must stay in, as we need leaders and ownership. Noticeable that L.O. went awry when Diack left. Best seems to have a similar co-ordination with RD that he has with Muller, and its not replicated with other jumpers imo.

Diack was close to my Mom until he left tbh. The Wilson sub was because we needed more grunt and reverted to route one rugby to close it out. Correct decision imo. And it worked. Pick and drives were a joy to an old forward like me. We dont see it enough, and its a very effective weapon, instead of all this POD poncery.. >appl
Exterminate all rational thought
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

As you say ruck today will confirm but I am pleased that the French have stiched them up with fixtures.
I am not saying they will throw it Bourgoin style but I am hoping they will not be going hell for leather.
As LK points out we are thin on the ground ourselves.
As good as RD has been I would really be tempted to play Hendo in the back row as it seems a perfect balance when he plays at 6.
Notice the difference last night when he switched to play there as well.
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

Positives
Qualified - and home q.final to play for hopefully against a disinterested Castres team
Defence outstanding - Glagow never looked like scoring a try
Finished the match much stronger again as we have done in ALL our recent games even when losing in Limerick
IMO the scrum is even better with McComb and Stevenson
Scored 3 tries in attrocious conditions

Negatives
Injuries to PJ NM and CG

Looking forward to visiting Castres next week
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

bazzaj wrote: The main point I would like to make would be the possible start pairing of RP and small P.
It maybe inevitable depending on PJs injury.
Asides the fact that RP is better at controlling a game at 9 rather than 10 and PM makes more of an impact off the bench, I would like to make a case for sticking to start PJ at 10.

There are definiately parts of his game which he needs to improve which will come with experience in terms of line breaks and kicking.
His distrubution is excellent but my main point is the way he shuts down the 10 channel like no other 10 in europe outside of Wilkinson or Sexton.
Can anyone recall the last time a player broke through that channel?
His defence is now something we are all taking slightly forgranted but it also has a knock on effect to our outside backs who can concentrate on their defence without any inside worry.
It is one of the reasons why our defence has been water tight this season.

Also when Big Nick threw the ball to no one in our 22 and our player was caught in possession, it was PJ who was first on scene to secure the ball in the ensuing ruck allowing us to clear the danger.
He does the dirty work which is something I am sure that is not lost on the likes of Bell and MA.
I agree Bazzaj. No more stretched defence covering the black hole of IH. PJ's bottle in defence is exceptional for one so young.

My rant is this, and my main negative; NOT with PJ who did have an off night with the boot, and some other aspects of his game, coupled with either a bit of loss of form and confidence- it was the attitude of the crowd last night, both when RP took over the drop outs, and when PJ left the pitch. Some of the reaction was appalling- lack of applause and indeed in some cases, where I was on the terrace, toward the Memorial end, he was given the bird/ ironic cheers.

Disgraceful, and will hardly do the youngsters confidence any good at all. IMO, as a ex-forward, PJ's in credit this season, and will make it through. Setbacks like this will make him stronger and hardened. What age was Sexton when he finally made it? 24-25? PJ has played in an HEC final, and full campaign now at 20, is our first choice out half, and when on song, is outstanding. There are flaws to his game, but what do we expect? Dan Carter ffs?
One for the backs on here- discussed this with a guy beside me on the terrace- We reckoned PJ's drop outs were deliberately kept low in front of the Glasgow forwards for the knock-on- yet he got the bird. Anyone care to comment?

As has been said, injury may force our hand to play Smallp and RP against Castres- PM plays much more assuredly with RP as his comfort blanket- maybe he feels the pressure of responsibility that dissipates when RP is outside. PM made a signifcant impact last night, and is a great "problem" to have.

In summary- some of the Ravers crowd this season are particularly objectionable (including the "get in the hole" tw*t,) and lack knowledge/ objectivity.. maybe they should f*ck off back to their fleg protests.... :banghead:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

interlooter wrote: Scrum was excellent again tonight and we should have made more of our dominance in this phase, though the ref did nothing for us. They continually engaged early as they knew they'd be fecked otherwise and the ref should have been penalising and warning them for repeated infringements, with the card produced at some stage. We let a penalty try go begging when Ruan went for goal. I know it would have put us 10 clear, but we had just massacred them in the scrum, no annihilated is closer to it.
It would have been a gutsy call as you'd have put the house on Ruan kicking it, but he missed and we never got a better opportunity in the scrum.
One thing annoyed me Interlooter, was that both TJ and Ref missed Lows illegal binding on TC's elbow consistently, to prevent TC driving him up and out of the scrum... :lol:
Low was trying to pin TC to prevent him opening the shoulders and driving.. but then TC was also illegal in angling 45 degrees and driving Low up and out... all's fair in love and war... >you_rock but in a closer game, that official ineptitude may have cost us.. i.e. against Castres, who will offer a bit more in the forwards, if they turn up, which I think they will- home pride and all that.

As an ex-Loosie, I would've been happy for us to scrum them till they were sick of the sight of us, but the penalty decision by Chad was correct on this occasion- we needed clear daylight after a rocky patch, and qualification could've depended on it..otherwise, agreed, we could smell blood and under other circumstances, unleash the dogs of war... REAL wet weather rugby , and feck the backs :stir: >EW :lol:
(bear in mind our second try was borne from classic driving forward, up the jumper stuff..old school) >appl
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Negative - recently we haven't been able to put together an 80 minute performance. We need to start doing that or we won't win any silverware soon.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I thought Rorys throwing in was spot on, a couple of times Kellock made a mess but that was more down to his great lineout work and getting up in front of Ulster. It's the only thing Ali is good at!!!
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

BPH wrote:The mate that used my season ticket tonight, said that he was impressed by McComb when he came on - added some real physicality. Couldn't really judge from TV, but I'd like to see Henderson revert back to 6 and Neil start in the row
I would agree that McComb was impressive and that Henderson is probably better at 6. But he's not better than Diack - yet. The way Robbie has played this season, he's the starting 6. He was excellent last night. Up there with Court for MOM! :salut:
PS No matter any other part of his game, PJ's tackling last night was outstanding.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Interlooter, I have to say it is refreshing that people can see the bigger picture regarding PJ and I find anyone ironically cheering him could not have seen his tackling or dog work which it is sometimes hard to pick up on from the side lines.
He made one ferocious hit early on, which was an instant signal to the oppo that this is what you get if you come down my channel, think again.
The very fact anyone should jeer any of our players at the minute is a disgrace and displays ignorance.
I do have to disagree about the kicks though as I think telly angles showed they were scuffed due to the conditions rather than anything else.
His restarts are normally a strong point to his game but last night was exceptional circumstances.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

re-watched the first half there thanks to rooster. Much, much better than what I had seen from the Terrace. Played that 1st 40 really well IMHO. Some of the hands from the backs was terrific.
Diack was excellent indeed. Kinda scared to watch the 2nd 40 now....
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

ruckover wrote:Negative - recently we haven't been able to put together an 80 minute performance. We need to start doing that or we won't win any silverware soon.
What was wrong with the bonus pointer at Franklin Gardens? The only negative in that match was Mullers injury and Hendos yellow otherwise that's a great match to keep on your Sky+ box!
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Joe Schmo wrote:
ruckover wrote:Negative - recently we haven't been able to put together an 80 minute performance. We need to start doing that or we won't win any silverware soon.
What was wrong with the bonus pointer at Franklin Gardens? The only negative in that match was Mullers injury and Hendos yellow otherwise that's a great match to keep on your Sky+ box!
RECENTLY. That game was 6 matches ago.