HEC Cup Final

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: HEC Cup Final

Post by big mervyn »

Fell in with the yellow army: "ICIC, ICI C'EST MONTFERRAND!". Still can't figure out how "we" managed too lose after watching those 2 tries at the greenhouse end right under my nose :scratch: Maybe if I watch it back now that the stout has wore off?

Good crack and atmosphere down there (at least until after the game). A lot easier getting a drink before the game too, as the French were more interested in parading and singing :lol: Quite enjoyed the yellow hoodies with "Leinster can we play you every other day" (or words to that effect) on them :lol:

Roll on next Saturday :red: :fleg:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

The interview with Armitage at the end - the felon one, not the chubby one, was a total shambles.
Even his accent reminds me of that other chav with no class Owen Farrell and his bum boy Ashton.

What kind of a prat waves at the cover defence as he trots in to score? Asshole
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Good atmosphere at the game but the village was a major disappointment though I did get my picture taken with Ireland and Lions legend Keith Wood, as to the game I didn't really mind who won, part wanted Clermont to win because of the style of rugby they play, part wanted Toulon to win just because Wilkinson is a class act both on and off the pitch, but for that horrible spide waved at the covering defence I would have been happy with the result. As for Clermont they remind me a lot like Ulster, passionate vocal supporters, the team on their day can beat anyone but on the big occasions when it matters they choke, Ulster can win on saturday if they play a full 80 minutes or will they also choke....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Armitage being a Warren Gatland. As much as I dislike Brian Moore!

BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

JW is a complete and utter gent, a model professional if you will and therefore I am happy for him.

It was a gutting performance from Clermont who after JW brought it back to a 6 point game, prior to Felon Armitages try, looked like they were caught in the headlights.

It shouldn't have surprised anyone though after Clermont nearly throwing the game against Munster when they were by far the superior team.

My one gripe is not about an HEC being 'bought' as I have said before they are both to my mind equally as mercenary as the other, but that at least Clermont play a decent brand of rugby compared to Toulon's kick and chase game.
Scholar
Initiate

Post by Scholar »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (109.32 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

Gutted for Clermont
Toulon are the Chelsea of European Rugby
Unfortunately money can buy success
By my count 13 of their matchday squad of 23 were NOT French qualified
Clermont- I think - had 17 French qualified
Time some sort of quota system was introduced to foster the growth of National teams
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Bangors wrote:Gutted for Clermont
Time some sort of quota system was introduced to foster the growth of National teams
They're no different, Rougerie is the only Clermont born and bred player. I would actually compare Clermont to Chelsea and Toulon to City. Clermont have been splashing the cash for a bit longer is all.

I have no problem with either team, save for felon, but I don't buy the myth that Clermont somehow have more credibility or are less mercenary than Toulon.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BuckRogers wrote:My one gripe is not about an HEC being 'bought' as I have said before they are both to my mind equally as mercenary as the other, but that at least Clermont play a decent brand of rugby compared to Toulon's kick and chase game.
FFS Buck weren't you listening before when I explained the difference between the two?

I have no great gripe with JW but a team winning the cup scoring 1 try in the knock out stages, and that by a Warren Gatland, is not a good advert for rugby.

One try & a 100% kicking record by JW in the knock-out stages, non-vintage is the best I can call that.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

http://www.espnscrum.com/france/rugby/story/182773.html. Backs up your point "Bangors"

There has been some talk of quality control in regards to Italian clubs in the HEC...perhaps an overseas player quota for HEC match day squads would be worth thinking about.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Congrats to Toulon. Didn't mind who won but I did feel that Clermont were unlucky not to walk away with the win.

I agree though, there should be a limit on all teams regarding non-home qualified players. For Toulon to have more than half their matchday squad from overseas is a rather poor showing in my opinion. I don't mind if they buy the entire French international team, but going abroad and buying a side is not right.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

And of the foreignors, David Zirakashvili since 2004, Jamie Cudmore since 2005, Brock James has been there since 2006 , Napolioni Vonowale Nalaga since 2007 (though he left with family troubles in 2011 & returned in 2012) are hardly blow-ins.

Ti'i Paulo joined in 2010, Regan King, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Nathan Hines & Lee Byrne are newcomers joining in 2011.

Anyone with a brain can see a huge difference with Toulon. Give it up Buck, I know you aren't a dumbass. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:My one gripe is not about an HEC being 'bought' as I have said before they are both to my mind equally as mercenary as the other, but that at least Clermont play a decent brand of rugby compared to Toulon's kick and chase game.
FFS Buck weren't you listening before when I explained the difference between the two?

I have no great gripe with JW but a team winning the cup scoring 1 try in the knock out stages, and that by a Warren Gatland, is not a good advert for rugby.

One try & a 100% kicking record by JW in the knock-out stages, non-vintage is the best I can call that.
Dear Bagster I did indeed though I have to respectfully disagree.

I remember being the in the Cardiff Arms Park in maybe 2000/2001 when Craig Quinnell was playing for Cardiff against Montferrand before the big money started being poured in and they were an average enough side at best.

As the years have worn on they have gained a certain credibility because Toulon and Racing are currently the big spenders making the headlines. Clermont went through the exact same process as Toulon only it was about 2005/6 if I am not mistaken....which I could of course be.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Guest wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 084628.stm

Team for Wednesday.
Need to play a hell of aclot beetr than yesterday's shambles to get the tour back on track
Both LNR and ERC *have* limits on foreigners. However LNR's applies to complete squad and while ERC's applies to match squad, it is on non-EUs
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

While the ERC can restrict non-EU players, it would be impossible to restrict squads to specific EU nationalities as this would fall foul of EU employment legislation.

I think the LNR/FFR restrictions aren't based upon nationality, but players that have been trained within the French system, so the Armitage brothers count as "French" because they spent some time at school in France. So you'll get French teams trawling for Pacific Islanders and registering them in their academy system, and the requirements aren't that high - only 50% French-trained players.