Montpellier Away Heineken Cup

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Re: Montpellier Away Heineken Cup

Post by browner »

More info for the Montpellier tourist....

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s99/st138413.htm
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
General Prom
Novice

Post by General Prom »

Watching...............
Oh Gawd!! I wish I was still playing Scrum Half.....
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I see Montpellier have three irishmen in their squad, does anyone know anyhting about them?

Andy Smith Hooker
Richy Spiers Scrum Half
Peter Dickson Full Back

Any other former Ulster men kicking about apart from Tim Nagusa?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

UlsterNo9 wrote:I see Montpellier have three irishmen in their squad, does anyone know anyhting about them?

Andy Smith Hooker
Richy Spiers Scrum Half
Peter Dickson Full Back

Banbridge Academy rentboy rejects, players ?? not so sure more like a school boy prank to be honest, Children who would have them :roll:

Ulster N09 lets guess your:
Spiers9.jpg
Spiers9.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
Available for weddings May to August only
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

From Tigers Forum

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... &start=120

Hotels:
There are two Ibis hotels in the center of Montpellier:
Ibis Hotel Comédie
Ibis Hotel Montpellier Centre
You can go to Abasun hotel too. Not really comfortable but cheap and in the center off town.
Abasun Hotel
For people who wants much cheaper, there is a youth hostel too in the center.
Youth hostel Montpellier

All of these places are close to tramway stations to go easily where you want (to Yves du Manoir Stadium for example ).

Bars
La Chistera: This bar belongs to our fly-half François Trinh Duc (who plays for french national team). Nice place, nice staff, good choice of beers. You can eat some very good mixed plates with cheese and pork delicatessen (typically french ). There is a restaurant inside (not in the same room as the bar, to eat quietly). It's good, but quite expensive.

Le café du théâtre: on Place de la comédie (the most famous montpellierian square). Nice place with a good point of view. Good to stay outside if the weather is good enough. Quite cheap to have a drink or eat. Best ratio price/quality/quantity to have a breakfast in Montpellier.

Fitzpatrick's: the most famous Irish pub in Montpellier. In a very old typically building. A pub, with all what it means.

Restaurants:
Le vieux four: my favourite restaurant to have a very good dinner. The best place to eat good meat in Montpellier.

Le café riche: on the center of place de la comédie. To have a good lunch quickly watching one of the most beautiful place in Montpellier.

Note about the beer prices: beer is much more expensive in France than in UK, so don't move each time you think drinking is too much expensive, it will be the same everywhere.

If you want to find some other place:
Montpellier café: website to find some bars or restaurants. In French only, sorry .
Go-Montpellier: website in English created by Fitzpatrick's owner with a lot of advice about what to do and see in Montpellier.

To go to Yves du Manoir stadium:
Take the tramway line number two. Stop at Sabines station. The stadium will be at 10 minutes by walk. Two hours before the kick off, a bus begins to make the shuttle between the station and the stadium every ten minutes.
If you come to Montpellier by car, I advise you not to use it to go to the stadium. There is always trafic jam around it.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

TheSnapper wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:I see Montpellier have three irishmen in their squad, does anyone know anyhting about them?

Andy Smith Hooker
Richy Spiers Scrum Half
Peter Dickson Full Back

Banbridge Academy rentboy rejects, players ?? not so sure more like a school boy prank to be honest, Children who would have them :roll:

Ulster N09 lets guess your:
Spiers9.jpg
I was out with these lads on Saturday night. Disappointed to not be included in this side at fly half

Spiers is a 'Hinch man. Hinch 5s to be clear, low quality winger.

Andy Smith is a top quality footballer, who would be a better rugby player the RADGE, as he could probably try and tackle someone.

Dickson is a top quality leg spinner who wouldn't look out of place standing between the centres and the wing, kind of like POM.

Very surprised Munster haven't signed these 3 up, definitely the kind of player they go for, but given that they are all just 24, they are a good 6 years until they are Munster age
son of ulster
Novice

Post by son of ulster »

Montpellier flights and hotel all booked for 4 of us! Roll on the season SUFTUM
born an ulsterman, will die an ulsterman
but not for a long time yet I hope !
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

son of ulster wrote:Montpellier flights and hotel all booked for 4 of us! Roll on the season SUFTUM
What route are you taking SoU?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Looks like options to fly to montpellier are via B'ham (Ryanair), or Gatwick (Easyjet). Leeds Bradford also available with Ryanair but only flies out on Thursdays, not Fridays.

For flights back, there is only Gatwick available from Montpellier on a sunday, but looks a fair bit more expensive. Beziers airport is another option and has a quite cheap flight to Bristol on the Sunday afternoon which could be used as a connection.

Overall, Friday - Monday trip via Birmingham to Montpellier looks reasonable, although it means a 3 night stay.... :D

For a Fri-Sun trip then via B'ham on the way out and back from Beziers, via Bristol looks reasonably priced.
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

Just booked Gatwick to Mont P .... Wed 16th - Sun 20th, as I want to make a few days of it in the South of France ... £230 for 2 people ... looked at doing the Brum to MP flight friday to monday (like SoU is doing) BUT ... you don't get into Montpelier til gone 10-00PM on the friday and leave at the crack of dawn on the monday, so you really only get 2 full days there, didn't fancy it!!

Now deciding on hotel and this one looks to be one of the better ones ...... http://www.kyriad-montpelliercentre.fr/
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Nathin booked yet...but it's lookin like Bel/Gat/Mont.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

browner wrote:Nathin booked yet...but it's lookin like Bel/Gat/Mont.

Good flight timings from Gatwick IMO ... (unlike Brum) ... another option is Ryanair from Stansted to Perpignan friday to monday at only £60 BUT it's approx 100 miles trip up to Montpelier, so you would have to factor in a return train journey OR Car hire ... ok maybe IF there were 4 or 5 of you ... something to consider !!
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Surrey Red Hand wrote:Just booked Gatwick to Mont P .... Wed 16th - Sun 20th, as I want to make a few days of it in the South of France ... £230 for 2 people ... looked at doing the Brum to MP flight friday to monday (like SoU is doing) BUT ... you don't get into Montpelier til gone 10-00PM on the friday and leave at the crack of dawn on the monday, so you really only get 2 full days there, didn't fancy it!!

Now deciding on hotel and this one looks to be one of the better ones ...... http://www.kyriad-montpelliercentre.fr/
Have just booked the flight x2 via B'ham on the Friday. Don't drink Montpellier dry before we arrive at 10pm!!
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

I'll try not to .... am on a 'cultural' visit as well as the rugby >drinks
StewMcD
Novice

Post by StewMcD »

BFS-Gatwick-Monpellier with Easyjet on the Friday, back Sunday. Staying in the Ibis Comedie.