Tom Court leaving?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Tom Court leaving?

Post by Russ »

Wee Woman wrote:Genuinely sorry to see Tom go but fair play to him - a 3 year deal at 33 is not to be sniffed at. He's a been a great servant to Ulster so we can't begrudge him that.

Some of the comments I'm reading in response to this news on Facebook are making me feck mad - 135 games for Ulster so far and he has NEVER let us down. He may not have set the world alight on the international stage but he did the job he was called to do and became a Lion into the bargain >EW

Best of luck to Tom & family :red:
I gave up schooling chubes WW.

Turns out the Irish education system and media annoy me alongside their taxation system!
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Fakebook is filled with people who come to matches every so often and therefore see themselves as experts. Take their views with a pinch of salt - Tom Court has been a loyal servant to Ulster for many a year and he has been a credit to our club during that time. Best of luck in England Tom, we'll miss you big man :salut: :red:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

ruckover wrote:Fakebook is filled with people who come to matches every so often and therefore see themselves as experts. Take their views with a pinch of salt - Tom Court has been a loyal servant to Ulster for many a year and he has been a credit to our club during that time. Best of luck in England Tom, we'll miss you big man :salut: :red:
Facebook is filled with people who base their views on Tom Court on the less than great decision by a certain Mr Kidney to play him at TH against England.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

DirtyRucker wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Had heard this mentioned a while back but rumour had it London was not a great draw for the family, looks like cold hard cash for there future ultimately made the decision. So, no European rugby for Tom next year then :stir:
Their future
Thanks for that :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:I'll toss this into the ether.

That URSC think about awarding Merit Medals to players when they finish playing for Ulster Showing the number of games play and the number of years they played for Ulster.

To be a Merit Medal a minimum number would be necessary but it would hopefully be a recognition of their service to the CAUSE
Actually Rum'n, were I a man of influence with URSC I would suggest that to them as a bloody good idea. Pretty sure it would mean something to the likes of TC. :salut:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

thecrouch wrote:
ruckover wrote:Fakebook is filled with people who come to matches every so often and therefore see themselves as experts. Take their views with a pinch of salt - Tom Court has been a loyal servant to Ulster for many a year and he has been a credit to our club during that time. Best of luck in England Tom, we'll miss you big man :salut: :red:
Facebook is filled with people who base their views on Tom Court on the less than great decision by a certain Mr Kidney to play him at TH against England.
Nearly right sir, the man responsible for TC's embarrassment that day and doubtless once or twice to a lesser extent was one of Josef Schmidt's favourites, but a man who more than once has had a serious injury requiring him to leave the field but of course, play for Mexico the following week.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you the Straw Man - Mike Ross.

He's fat,
he's round,
he's worth a fair few pound,
Fattie Ross, Fattie Ross.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

In fairness, Kidney didn't "decide" to play Court at tighthead against England. Mike Ross decided that Court should play tighthead against England by Mike Rossing out when the going got tough... Court was on the bench as the only prop who could, reasonably, play both sides. And frankly, given the other potential options for the bench that day (Buckley, anyone?), Court was the obvious choice. Let's not forget, this was back in the days of 22-men squads, not 23-men ones...

Any time Kidney decided to play Court at tighthead for Ireland, he was generally rewarded - see his performance against New Zealand in the Autumn of 2010, for example. He started that game at three and, in all honesty, did himself proud against the All Blacks. Ironically enough, this is the only time I remember Tom Court playing well for Ireland.

In fact, with the exception of that England game, Court's performances for Ireland are distinctly unmemorable, either for good or for bad. Accordingly, non-Ulster Ireland fans will remember him as they should - a prop whose most noticeable impact on the rugby they support was to get a complete duffing against England. Were it not for this particular duffing, I doubt many would remember much about Court at all. These are not people who watch him play for Ulster at non-international level week-in week-out; they are people who have, intermittently, seen him make no great impact on the international stage. There are many other Irish players who Ulster fans are wrong about, for exactly this reason.

Court has proven himself, time and time again in an Ulster jersey. He's been criticised, at times, on this forum, even in recent years and each time he has been, he's come out on a Friday night and proven his doubters wrong. I will remember his contribution for and to Ulster and it has been a big one, especially given the rather ignominious start he had here.

Good luck to Tom in England.

Let's hope he leaves Ulster with a gold medal to add to his two silvers to date! :red:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So we're getting Killer then..since he can't hold down a place with Turnips.... :stir:

Realistically, is this not an opportunity for CB to cement his place, as he's drawn close to TC this year in terms of form, and Paddy Mac to either start fulfilling his much talked about potential or stepping back for another option, IQ or not, to fill the LH "strength in depth". Copyright Kofi...

Whats the odds of next seasons F/Row as: CB/ RB/ DF (or Ewan Murray..)
Next one- DC to Exeter to join his old mate Big Ian W, and guarantee first team rugby with a team on the up. He'd walk it... :duh:

Anyway, good luck TC, you owe no-one anything. BALLS AS BIG AS BALLOONS- never any mention from Turnips and Ladybois of how much guts it took to take a pasting out of position for the National Team and the risk of serious injury.. they couldn't have paid him enough, yet the reaction was sickening, all over an accent- something of a theme with Ireland there.... :fleg:

How I gloated when he got the Red Jersey... >gimmefive

Ulster Ligind >you_rock :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Exterminate all rational thought
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Really sorry to see Tom go - always gave 100%+ in an Ulster shirt - a true Ulsterman :red: A 3 year contract at this stage in his career is as good as it gets.

Good luck to him and his family in London.
Finished
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Thanks for your great service TOM,good luck in the future. :salut:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

fair play to TC for getting the contract, as has been stated he'd be mad not to take it. best of luck to him with LI.

He's given great service to Ulster and always comes back stronger after a dip in fortunes, of which there were a few. always shown a fantastic mentality, and, although I wouldn't exactly say I'm sad to see him go, I'd definitely salute him as a very good player and someone who always played for the shirt. :red:
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

Such sad news that Tom is leaving played his heart and soul for Ulster,will be sorely missed...Good luck Tom hope all goes well with new club.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

maybe we could print this thread off and present it to him?
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

Have been meaning to upload an avatar - no better occasion. Very sad to see him go, but completely understandable in the circumstances.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten